My perfect SAK and whats yours

I carry a Classic on a daily basis, but my favorite full size SAK is the 4 layer Explorer Plus. Its about as big as I will go with pocket carry, and has just about everything I "need", including tweezer, magnifier, scissor and pen.

Victorinox-Explorer-Lg.jpg

I have been rather content with both the Climber and Rambler model, not much else I can think to change these two. Perhaps a nail file on the spine of the hook on the Climber (ala Compact).

7563641822_1eb4b65e9b_b.jpg

+1 to your rational here...we should be friends :).
My perfect SAK is one of the one or two layer SAK's. Slim enough to fit n a pocket unnoticed, even in dockers or dress pants. Yet has enough capability to handle those everyday little problems that pop up. A loose screw, opening a cold brewski, cutting something. Bantam, classic, recruit, tinkers, are some of the best SAK's. I have a hiker, and like the farmer, it's a great woods knife but I just don't need a saw in everyday suburban life.

My general rule of SAK's is, if the tool's on it have not been used in a month, then I need a simpler SAK. A once a year tool use is not enough for me to carry it. At the present, I am on vacation in Key West for a week, and my only knife is a recruit that I mailed down to myself. So far, it's slice limes for gin and tonics, diced up anchovies for a salad, and popped open some cold ones for family members. Yet the two layers fit light and easy in tropic weight shorts. A bantam would have done as well, but since this in my only knife for the whole stay, I liked the idea of having the extra knife blade on hand. Today we're going out fishing, and the recruit will have to earn it's way.

Carl.

For SAK ... the Spartan is gonna make the race. Two layers, so slim enough for my EDC tasks. Great looking knife in black scales...

IMG_1729.jpg

bottom knife of my today´s EDC setup

Kind regards
Andi

The Compact has a great combination of tools in a very small package.
Has been my EDC since December.

The Compact has a great combination of tools in a very small package.

Since one of my goals is to be more like Mr. Carl, I am exploring the upside of minimalism. Minimalism is also a useful trait because I carry so many different EDC items. Today my SAK is a Compact that I found in my stash - which I am pretty sure I have never carried before.

compact.jpg

Stock photo. My Compact is black.

I've been carrying an old favorite again lately. The Vic Tourist is a two-layer, 3 1/4" gem. With no keychain attatchment it seems even smaller and disappears in the pocket.

Jeff

My absolute favourite is the Farmer, I just love the feel of a well built alox Vic. The Huntsman would be a close second, and it's probably the one I use the most.

Super Tinker or Climber at the moment. Although I might get a Compact soon. Considering my city life very rarely makes me need a saw in my pocket, the scissors are the most beneficial addition to the typical blades and openers that almost all SAKs have. I also always carry my SwissChamp in my bag just to cover all my bases... and a still boxed Trekker somewhere in my car as well, just for the heck of having it there. :p

The Super Tinker is what I have at the moment. But probably very soon, the Compact will be where it's at as I find myself not turning any screws or punching holes into things that often either. So sacrificing the small blade, the awl and the better screwdriver capacity of the Super Tinker/Climber models might be worth the thinness by 1 layer.

Great thread! It got me searching the Victorinox site for different models, and I stumbled upon a perfect gift for my cigar-smoking buddy. Just ordered it! :

8813748912158_0_6580_16_Bild2_1364_eps_1.jpg

That Climber looks great! I think if I was buying a SAK totally for urban carry, I'd go for that as I wouldn't need the saw. I tell myself I'll use it on the huntsman, but I havn't found myself with just the huntsman at this point. I guess I just need to get out more.

Last edited:
Love my cadet
IMAG0140.JPG

and farmer
IMAG0118.JPG

and his thing, don't even know what it's called...i just know the sound it makes when it cuts, thats right, i just said that
IMAG0261.jpg

Now Mrdavidross321 shows a Wenger, which I believe is the serrated master. Looks great but, the serrated main blade is not for me and I've never owned a Wenger, so I can't give an opinion on them.

I've been carrying my Compact for the last three months, along with a Spyderco Tenacious. The pen came in handy at the DMV the other day when the the olny pens in the whole place were at the end of a long line at the help desk.

"the classic with a bottle opener"

It is called a Rambler. Also has a great Philips that is the perfect size for electronics. It's better than a Classic because the main blade pivots on the opposite end from the key ring.

Back