My perfect SAK and whats yours

I would like a liner lock version of the 111mm Hunter. I prefer the old style of the Hunter as compared to the new Hunter XT. The old small gutting blade was long enough for gutting and cutting tasks. Being short, it also gave better control to the user. I preferred that one to the new "gutting blade" that they have, which is actually practically the seat belt cutter from earlier models such as the Rescue Tool and the OH Fireman. I simply don't think I would need a gutting blade that long. Also, because of the new length, it removes the useful combo tool, which is very good, and is unfortunately already rare with the 111mm models.

So, what I really want is the old Hunter, but with a liner lock instead of a slide lock. The one handed capability of the new Hunter XT can stay though. I understand the benefits of a single handed opener. :)

Also, hopefully it could still be in Olive Drab and not Black. They could keep the deer logo if the want to. :)

i LIKE THAT!!!!!!!

img2942urq.jpg

I've got mine; a farmer with added scissors which a friend made for me.

Second that! What I really want though is an Alox Huntsman . . .

Also, I think the discontinued Vic Safari Trooper is the best outdoors folder Victoriinox ever made - I always EDC one.

Spartan did for me for very long time. I can open wine for my wife, cut cheese and fruits, clean nails, open beer bottles, and can. I carried free Spartan for almost 15 yrs until I completely ruined the main blade by cutting processor off mother bd at work.

Pete

I have two favorites, for different situations/times.

For general EDC I've alternated between my Explorer and my Compact. Choosing between them was driving me crazy, so I decided I'd make my own; I know some people who mod SAKs and have been getting some good info about how to do it. I'm tearing both of the down to make a single SAK that will be my pocket EDC, a Yeoman.

For times when I'm out hiking or backpacking, camping, etc., I have one of the older style Hunters that I had a scissors/phillips layer added to it. It's literally perfect for me for outdoors use. It has everything I need, and literally nothing I don't. You might think the phillips driver would be useless in an outdoors situation, but I've found it works very well as a stand-in marlin spike for working with cord.

IMG_0560.jpg

I like my MiniChamp on my keychain. Most used are the scissors and the nail file. Maybe a orange peeler from now and then. It's a bit annoying that the useless little pen took the spot so I have to choose between the toothpick or the tweezers. It's no my goto tool though because I always carry my LM Wave and Skeletool CX with me.

P1010723.jpg

Two big blades,
little blade,
reamer from ALU 93 mm,
magnifying lens,
marlyn spike made from inside philips screwdriver,
scissors,
wood saw,
file/metal saw/nail cleaner,
can opener,
bottle opener,
philips backside screwdriver,
normal awl,
hook,
chisel,
little screwdriver.

25 mm wide.

P1010723.jpg

Two big blades,
little blade,
reamer from ALU 93 mm,
magnifying lens,
marlyn spike made from inside philips screwdriver,
scissors,
wood saw,
file/metal saw/nail cleaner,
can opener,
bottle opener,
philips backside screwdriver,
normal awl,
hook,
chisel,
little screwdriver.

25 mm wide.

Cool, lets see that thing opened up!

I've since received my cybertool 41 and have been pouch belt carrying it at work. We wear tactical type cargo pants at work, and half the people here carry guns and handcuffs anyway. heh

Sheepsfoot blade and combo tool on full sized alox scales. I've seen a picture of one on here somewhere.

My perfect SAK (at least for TODAY) is the Vic Craftsman. Don't know what tomorrow's perfect SAK will be, but over the years, I have settled on these contenders...SwissChamp, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Tinker, Champion Plus, Craftsman.

I've always been a big fan of the Fieldmaster. It has everything I could reasonably expect to use except for pliers, but I have no interest in putting pliers in a SAK. That's what a Leatherman is for, eh? Recently, though, I've found myself leaning more towards the Huntsman. I drink more wine than I used to, the eyeglass-screwdriver is nice to have, and the can opener tool works well enough on most phillips-heads.

I've had a few through the years ( all Vic's ) my first was a fisherman, second a Director( lost it 25 years ago and just replaced ) Red Alox Farmer in the mid 80's ( lost in early 90's replaced in 2004) Rucksack ( stolen and replaced ) when they first came out to replace my lost farmer, and a Ranger ( gift from father-in-law ) and many classics. I would have to pick my first farmer with the Red Alox scale and brass liners, I really liked that knife a lot. I do like the Director, it's great for day to day carry, and have used the farmer as my only knife and the Rucksack as my only knife on month long trips on different occasions. If I have to pick one I'll go with the Farmer.

For me the perfect is hercules model

I looked long and hard at the Hercules, had every tool that I would want covered plus the locking blade, then decided upon the Cybertool 41 for the bit driver, and the fact that I carry a dedicated locking folder too.

I'd like to see a SAK, preferably 2-layer, with a Large blade, bottle opener/flat driver, scissors, awl or reamer, and Phillips driver. (Tweezers and Tooth pick as well.) Sort of a Soldier crossed with a Climber. Plus a Phillips Driver.

Back