My perfect SAK and whats yours

I'd like to see a SAK, preferably 2-layer, with a Large blade, bottle opener/flat driver, scissors, awl or reamer, and Phillips driver. (Tweezers and Tooth pick as well.) Sort of a Soldier crossed with a Climber. Plus a Phillips Driver.

You could get pretty close if you modded a Vic Compact. Replace the corkscrew for a philips, and hook for an awl. You'd have the combo tool instead of the bottle opener, but its almost as good. I've been playing around with putting the caplifter in the same layer as the main blade, and straightening the main blade out to accommodate it. It seems to fit, but just barely.

My perfect SAK was a Swissbianco Scientist. It has the same tool selection as the Explorer but is a layer thinner because it loses the small blade and has a combo tool instead of a dedicated can/bottle openers. Unfortunately, someone on the trading forums had to had one and I got a deal I couldn't refuse! Out of my collection, you can't beat the Farmer with pocket clip. Great tool

Don't have a perfect SAK, but an almost perfect. The Swiss Tool Spirit. Needed a good multi tool, and it has been great so far.

Would, make a few minor changes but, its the best I've used so far, in both form and function...

A SAK with these following tools:

Blade
Philips screwdriver
Flat head screw driver
Scissors
Bottle opener

Bam.

Those scales are great, if you don't have to keep them polished I'd say I would add those to my perfect SAK

Tinker for me, but I would like to upgrade to one that has a saw. I'm not sure how worthwhile the pliers are on a SAK as you don't give much leverage (as you do on a Leatherman).

Victorinox alox soldiers knife or Wenger soldat. I currently carry an 04 soldat

The Victorinox "SA Silver Huntsman" is my EDC favorite. The scissors, and toothpick seem to be almost indispensible during my daily adventures.

HPIM1590.jpg

Here it is on the bottom, compared to a Wenger Evo.

I keep going back to my pre 1985 Champion. I'm new to Saks but have really gotten the bug. I started with a new style soldier, then a used camper at a flea market and then I found my older champion. I've picked up an alox soldier, and cadet 2, a pioneer and farmer since then. I love the alox, but they feel too nice to carry around and get scratched, and after carrying the champion, they feel too light. lol
As big as the champion is, it really does seem to carry better for me. Instead of the scales resting against your leg, the back(corkscrew side) rests against my leg in my pocket and it tends to stand up. And I really do use the fish scaler/hook remover for their intended purpose on trout. And who knows how many deer I've managed to scare away getting limbs out of shooting lanes for bowhunting? ONly negative on my champion are the broken scissors. If I ever find a sak I like as well, I'll send it in for a repair.

My perfect SAK is the Yeoman. It discontinued now but awesome if you can find one. I have managed to find 4 over the years. Got to have a back up, just in case.

Pick a current model or make one up like I did, but remember this is your everyday carry not just special times.

If I was going to have one knife to carry for everything then I'd pick my Electrician. The sheepsfoot blade is excellent for box cutting and utility tasks, accomplishing 90% of everything that I need a knife for. I could happily take care of the other 10% with the big blade, and the cap lifter and reamer round it out perfectly.

But there are two things I'd change if I could. I'd add tweezers and a metal 'toothpick' to the Alox scales. I'd also switch the steel for the tools to something that keeps a better edge without giving up all stain resistance. AUS8 would be fine, and I'd be happy to pay for it accordingly.

I think the fieldmaster has the best set of tools and the pioneer is the best minimal sak.

Is there one online US dealer that sells all these models of SAKs? I deal mostly with knifecenter and they carry a large selection, but you guys have mentioned models that I've never heard of.

Rich

Back