My Spyderco Mods

Is the leafstorm still translucent at all? I really like that color, but one of the things I find neat about the leafstorm is the natural g10 it comes with.

Is the leafstorm still translucent at all? I really like that color, but one of the things I find neat about the leafstorm is the natural g10 it comes with.

Absolutely. Look close at the outside pic of it. You can see the knife frame through the scale.
From the sides, it's definitely apparent it is translucent.
Just a darker version that shows a denim look when the light levels are low.

This is a used Chinook 3 I purchased for 85.00 shipped in February.
I was surprised at the excellent condition I received it in. Only a few slight scratches on the blade, everything else was tight and like new.
I only changed the scales from the Black G-10 to Coarse Yellow G-10, and put on new Black clip.
I took the Black G-10 and put them away.
I also purchased a Chinook 2 for 89.00 shipped last week. I do not have it, yet. It's supposed to be LNIB. we'll see.
It will get a Ruby Red Coarse Texture scales, and may get a Ferric Chloride treatment, then a stonewash, after I set the scales. We'll see.

I also have a Tuffthumbz modded Chinook 3 . Black liners and TI clip were added after the video.

Here is the yellow Chinook 3. It came out with blade perfectly centered, perfect lock up, and an eye poppin' color.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

lc1.jpg

rc1.jpg

I purchased a Gray Endura 4 FFG for $40.00 shipped. It was in excellent shape.
I had put this set of Toxic Green scales on my Matriarch 2 just to see if I could mill the liner cutouts.
I wasn't totally satisfied as I had slightly overdone the cut. Barely noticeable, but I knew it was there.
I decided to see if the Endura 4 Scales were compatible with the Matriarch 2. Pretty much.
I put the green scales on the Endura, and now looking at making a new set for my Matriarch. I am working on a PPT mod right now, so that will have to wait.
Anyway, I did a Ferric Chloride etch to the Endura blade, lock, clip, and left side hardware. Then I stonewashed those pieces.
I installed black button head screws, and kept the Endura Gray back spacer as it matched the hardware.
And sanded out the small over cut in the scale.
And here's what I have. It's now in my daily carry. Pimped and sharp for about $45.00 except my labor.
I call it Gendura X.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

rc1.jpg

bl1.jpg

I had put some Toxic Green G-10 on this at one time, but pulled them for my EDC Endura above.
So, while waiting for the parts to finish my PPT project, I cut these out this morning.
Ruby Red Coarse Textured G-10. Added larger TORX screws.
May put on a polished clip, but have to order one. May not, as the back spacer is black.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

lc1.jpg

rc1.jpg

t1.jpg

b1.jpg

Last edited:
This one has ALL the steel, including screws, into a Ferric Chloride etch, then stonewashed. Just pivot points and factory etchings were saved.
Then I added fine weave Desert Sand G-10 scales and a lowride Titanium clip. The clip just has it's original bead blast finish.
I did drill the clip holes for a left side, tip up carry. I usually don't. I had to oblong the right side clip holes a bit as the holes were just a hair off after mounting the scale. It happens. May recut a new scale because of it, but it's unseen as long as the clip stays on the right side. The holes are drilled for a stock Chinook 3 clip, but the Titanium clip fits that pattern.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

lc1.jpg

rc1.jpg

t1.jpg

Robo - great work on all! Very artistic, creative, unique and functional. Beauties all.

I have pimped out my Stretch.
Scales were changed to coarse Orange G-10. Upgraded scale screws to black T-8 TORX, and put on a new black clip to match the black back spacer.
This is one of my nicest customs. Blade centered, action smooth, and just gorgeous. A one of a kind.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

lc1.jpg

t1.jpg

b1.jpg

I just finished this pimpage to a Chokwe this morning.
I added a Blue Carbon Fiber scale. On my Civilian, I left the rough finish. Here, I smoothed it down. I did go a little into a lower layer, thus the darker spots. I learned a few things on this mod, and this is one of them.
I polished the TI side to a mirror finish, then flamed it to get a beautiful blue with a rainbow.
I made a TI pocket clip (my second attempt, but I am getting better at it). I polished it and flamed a blue with just the tip in a golden hue to give it some contrast to the scale. You can see the reflections in the polished scale in a couple of the pics.
I made a BIG boo boo and almost dumped the project.
I was confused as to why my 2-56 clip screws would not fit (they are smaller). They did on my earlier version of the Chokwe. So I started to run a 2-56 tap through to clean it out. UH UH. Steel tap and a Titanium frame is NOT compatible. Broke the tap with NO warning. And can't get it out. I learned that lesson the hard way. Should have known better.
I had already put the black scale back on and had the clip back on the tip down side, when I remembered I had a TI strip.
I had bought two when I did the clip for my Outlander II project.
So, I made my 2nd clip to cover the hole where the tap was broken. Essentially, the clip can never be removed, but as it's my knife, I don't want to remove it. The clip is a freehand custom, and is kinda rough, but works great.
Anyway, it turned out really nice as the action is glass smooth and the blade perfectly centered. I now have two great EDC Chokwes.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

lc1.jpg

rc1.jpg

b1.jpg

t1.jpg

Just finished my black blade Para Military 1 to match my Desert Sand Military.
I drilled for a left hand carry, but then discovered that only two holes could be drilled for screws as the compression lock is in the way. Two screws would hold, but there would be a open hole. So, I have not drilled and tapped the liner.
I MAY buy a new clip as the old one has some wear, but this is a user, so maybe not.
Did add a custom spacer in the back, and upgraded the screw size.
Action is still a little tight to get blade centered, but this will come together as the parts seat.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

rc1.jpg

b1.jpg

I decided to do some mods to the Spyderco Value Line. I call this my Citrus set.
Lime - Resilience, Orange - Tenacious, Ruby Red Grapefruit - Persistence, and Lemon - Ambitious.
All have coarse textured G-10, custom standoffs, acid etch, stonewash, updated screws, and custom Titanium clips (my attempts at making my own, LOL).

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

rs2.jpg

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

Teaser pics for my Blu Vu-Doo Tenacious.
Added Royal Blue G-10 Scales.
Cut down steel liners and nested what was left. Added Endura pins with homemade polished Stainless spacer bushings, and black T-9 TORX screws. Titanium clip (low ride, but not on this Blu Vu-Doo. The NEXT one I do will be a real low ride).
No lanyard hole.
New weight is 3.1 OZ and the next one will be below 3.0 oz.

Here it is apart and I am appraising what I can do and the parts I need.
apart.jpg

The bottom liner was cut MUCH more than this pic. Looks more like the top liner. I have lost all the new work log pics. Will make sure the next one is documented.
cut1.jpg

Look Ma, NO steel liners! Yes, they are there, just nested.
scale1.jpg

Another scale pic showing the polished and flamed TI pocket clip.
scale2.jpg

Will post a few finished pictures when the sun is out, maybe tomorrow, if anyone is interested.
I used a combo edge because this was an experiment and I got the CE NIB off eBay for 25.50, shipped. This link won't stay, but here's the proof.

Last edited:
Fresh Pics of the Blu Vu-Doo

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

t1.jpg

b1.jpg

And here is a width comparison with my Orange G-10 Tenacious. Orange is 4.4 oz, blue is 3.1 oz.
comp.jpg

I made some mods to my Tenacious and remembered this thread but could not remember who had all the awesome mods or what the thread was called. So, now that I found it (luckily I posted in it earlier), I am formerly requesting more of your work!

Back