My Stomache Used to Hurt. No More!

All right, here is my recomendation. I did not want it to get lost in Munk's post, so I am starting this one.

For most of my life I have been troubled by acid reflux and severe stomache aches. Gastric disaster. One sugar filled Coca Cola would about kill me. It was that bad. Even the smell of raw onions would bring it on.

I now eat anything I want. Onions, hot peppers, you name it. No Problems!

But you must take this every single day. I don't like this, but it is sure worth it. I was dying before!

Takes a few days to begin working and it is NOT something you take like Zantac or Pepsid or Tums. If you have an immediate problem take those. But if you take this, you can throw away the Tums, etc.

Let me also say that there are very few things I can recommend without reservation, but try this.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=23698

PRILOSEC. It is a wonder drug for me. I get it from Kaiser and a 42 day supply is about $20.

I think drugs are great but drug free is great too. If you have daily problems with acid reflux it means you are eating the wrong things. The list I gave earlier is pretty comprensive. If you eliminate those items for a week, you will most likely clear up your reflux and you can then play around and substitute foods back in until you find the offenders.

I am sitting here with a sore butt because I ate tomatoes last night. I know from experimentation that these bother me a great deal. When I was in a fog about the whole thing and ate wheat, corn and everything else with abandon, I had major health problems especially pain the rear. Now I know what to eat and not to eat.

Big offenders: grains (but rice and oats are usually okay), dairy (especially unfermented products like milk, ugh), beans (including soy, yuch), nightshades (tomatoes, peppers and eggplant).

I mention this also to a lot of people but they prefer drugs. This is cool, I only post to suggest an alternative to drugs for people who want to try drug-free.

I used to have a constant pain in my stomach, my butt, and my neck.
So I divorced her and have felt fine for years.

Years ago when I was a young man and had a multitude of stomach problems one of the docs told me, "It's not what you're eating, but what's eating you that is causing the problem." Like Ben I fnally divorced her and the pain went away.:rolleyes: :D ;)

But now I'm older and take a multitude of pills to feel good and be as pain free as possible and it's what I am taking as well as eating that bothers me. I figure one more pill can't hurt.
I don't take Prilosec but I do take Aciphex for all the good it does.
It did heal up my esophagus so that I didn't have to have surgery to correct it.:D

I used to have a constant pain in my stomach, my butt, and my neck.
So I divorced her and have felt fine for years.

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh Ben and her mother too!!!!

I too have suffered from gastric reflux for many years. I've been through all of the doctor's tests (upper GI, etc.) taken the expensive prescription meds and OTC remedies with varying levels of relief.

I recently switched to decaf coffee and am now gatric reflux free and am taking no meds. I drink a lot of coffee 4+ cups a day and it seems that the acid in caffinated coffee was the culprit.

Good Luck!
SK

it's mostly what you put into your stomach.

Eliminate those foods and you will probably be spasm free and hemorrhoid free and spastic colon free and reflux free.

Most people don't want to do this because they can't imagine how they can get by without these foods. But think of it as a test. If the test works, you can add back and see what it is that causes you the most problems.

I have similar problems but I am sure it is not my diet. The only thing from your list cognitive that I eat regularly is milk and that is usually in cofee, tea, or in cooking. I am pretty sure my problem is stress (edit: I do use cayenne pepper in food). I have been drinking arabica coffee instead of columbian and I am pretty sure it is lower in acid than columbian (not bitter tasting when black, kind of a smoky flavor). edit: I just had a duh moment and realized coffee = beans

Whenever I get stressed out (which happens before having to do something such as running the powerpoint thing that someone else built for a student congregation of 100+, or when I missed a day or two of school and had to go back) I get an upset stomach and sometimes more. No reflux though.

I took protonix, nexium, prilosec otc (the doctor kept on changing my prescription after one would stop working) I do have a prescription for prilosec but my insurance wont cover it so we have just been buying it... otc. The problem now is actually finding it; everybody seems to be out. I can go meds free over the summer or on vacation, just as long as I don't get stressed out. I have actually been off any meds for a month or two and I do have a constant upset stomach, but it is not bad at all, and nothing else comes from it.

I hate taking pills, any pills, but I also like to eat. I tried diet. Meditation. All kinds of food allergy tests. Quit drinking coffee. Ate like a monk. No avail. I tried about everything the above posts suggest. No relief. Prilosec did it for me.

I would suggest that those who might be interested hustle yourselves down to CVS pharmacy and buy a 14 day supply of the little purple pills. Cost you about ten bucks or so. Take one EVERY day for two weeks and see if it works for you.

I will not be without them. No more Tums. No Malox. No Zantec. No more stomache pain. I am absolutely amazed. Will it work for everyone? I don't know, but I do know that I suffered for as long as I can remember, going back to early childhood.

No more stomache pain.

I used to have severe back pains...divorced her too. It didn't stop the pain, but it somehow was a lot more tolerable without her too.

I suffered from acid reflux and finally learned to "blow it out my ass". Now I have no reflux and no friends. :confused:

Bill I'm the same way. I've been taking a generic form of Prilosec for a couple of years now and haven't had a problem at all. Over Thanksgiving, Susan and I went on a trip to her brother's in Utah and I forgot my meds at home... I WAS IN AGONY in less than a day!

Now when it hits me, it is bad. I actually inhale stomach bile in the middle of the night :eek:. THAT IS NOT FUN. But while on the meds, NO PROBLEM.

The wonders of modern medicine!

Alan

I have been on Protonix (a proton pump inhibitor) for over a year now. Before that I tried several lesser drugs and all of the diet advice in the world and my life was hell. Every meal was like playing the slot machine, will the esophogas lock up on this bite, or the next one. Usually once a meal I would have to get up and throw up a bite of food that would not go down. The pain was incredible, it was like a burning cramp right in the middle of my chest. Sometimes all it took was a sip of water to get the acid up into the esophegas and set it off. About a month after I went on the protonix I went out with my family and had a steak and ate the whole thing without a single problem. That was the first time in years that I have ordered steak and been able to enjoy it.

Bill Marsh said:
All right, here is my recomendation. I did not want it to get lost in Munk's post, so I am starting this one.

For most of my life I have been troubled by acid reflux and severe stomache aches. Gastric disaster. One sugar filled Coca Cola would about kill me. It was that bad. Even the smell of raw onions would bring it on.

I now eat anything I want. Onions, hot peppers, you name it. No Problems!

But you must take this every single day. I don't like this, but it is sure worth it. I was dying before!

Takes a few days to begin working and it is NOT something you take like Zantac or Pepsid or Tums. If you have an immediate problem take those. But if you take this, you can throw away the Tums, etc.

Let me also say that there are very few things I can recommend without reservation, but try this.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=23698

PRILOSEC. It is a wonder drug for me. I get it from Kaiser and a 42 day supply is about $20.

Bill, I had the same problems and the Doctor prescribed Prevacid. Supposed to take one a day, but I found that just one every three days worked just as well. The stuff was miraculous. I could eat anything I wanted in regular amounts, and no more acid reflux and I slept all night through.

The problem was that after 1 week I had gained almost 3 pounds. After two weeks I was up 8 pounds, and after a month I couldn't fit into my pants anymore. I cut it out and went back to alka-seltzer every night before bed. It didn't work as well, but the last thing I need is to gain more weight!

Regards,

Norm

I don't have chronic reflux, but I am a singer and long periods of intense singing can cause acid to come up and screw up the vocal chords. Has to do with the diaphragm. Anyways, I've been on Nexium for about a year now, and it really helps my vocal endurance. Cool indeed.

Nam

I'm glad people find that meds help. I am on meds for allergies and without them I don't know where I'd be. I am fortunate that I was able to find issues with my diet that helped but that isn't true for many people. Thank goodness for modern medicine. I like to knock it but it can be incredibly valuable.

I sympathise with anyone that has stomache problems.
I have Chron's disease. Essentially I can have ulcers from the mouth to the anus. Fortunately mine were grouped near the appendix. I've had the appendix removed along with about a foot of intestine. I'm doing much better now. It used to be what ever I ate would eventually hit a constriction in the intestines and would cause a great deal of pain. It used to be like getting hit in the stomach with a bat....every 90 seconds....for hours. My gastro guy said " I can't believe you are still walking , let alone working!!"
Now I'm on a I.V. infusion of Remicade every 6 weeks. It's a little expensive...$2,000.00 per dose. That's right 2 grand every 6 weeks!!
I've had it for 28 years.
what's really sad is Yvsa's grand-daughter has this and is just a little thing. :( :grumpy: :mad:

Back