Natchez Bowie Balance Point?

Hey everyone, thinking of purchasing a Natchez Bowie.

Could someone please tell me where the point if balance is? i.e where you finger rests on the knife and it balances without tipping toward the tip or pommel.

Thanks!

Okay, I got both of mine out of their boxes. SK5 Natchez and SMIII Natchez both have the same balance point. Right in between the "H" and the "E" on the mark side. That's 1 and 1/8 inch in front of the guard. (29 mm for metric fans)

I hadn't handled mine in a few months. They are fabulous knives. Maybe it's because I've been handling some huge heavy knives of late, but the Natchez feels light and very fast. It's not my imagination, either. Making moves in front of the mirror, these knives are lightning fast. If you're not used to big heavy knives, I always say it could take six months or more of training before you can get used to the Natchez. Have to strengthen the ligaments and tendons in your wrists and elbows. A bit of weight training could help too, but nothing beats practicing the cuts, thrusts and parries with your knife.

Okay, I got both of mine out of their boxes. SK5 Natchez and SMIII Natchez both have the same balance point. Right in between the "H" and the "E" on the mark side. That's 1 and 1/8 inch in front of the guard. (29 mm for metric fans)

I hadn't handled mine in a few months. They are fabulous knives. Maybe it's because I've been handling some huge heavy knives of late, but the Natchez feels light and very fast. It's not my imagination, either. Making moves in front of the mirror, these knives are lightning fast. If you're not used to big heavy knives, I always say it could take six months or more of training before you can get used to the Natchez. Have to strengthen the ligaments and tendons in your wrists and elbows. A bit of weight training could help too, but nothing beats practicing the cuts, thrusts and parries with your knife.
:) I concur ! ~3 cm(which is about where the TM mark is on my knife) and all the rest . Although compared to the Trailmaster and Laredo , the Natchez ain't light or fast , but it sure would take off a head :eek:( of a goat) .:rolleyes:

Thank you sir! :thumbsup:

I'm used to swinging around Busse knives which are just massive chunks of steel so at 20 odd ounces the Natchez is basically featherweight...!

Just forward of the guard is a nice balance point for a blade that large too!!

Thank you sir! :thumbsup:

I'm used to swinging around Busse knives which are just massive chunks of steel so at 20 odd ounces the Natchez is basically featherweight...!

Just forward of the guard is a nice balance point for a blade that large too!!
The Laredo and Natchez are purpose built fighting bowies . Not made for chopping wood , but for slicing flesh and bone .

Watching this video:

made me realise how WIDE the Natchez Bowie is. Anyone got a measurement on that? Looks to be 2"+ in blade width.

Back