Native 5 G10 or Para 3

BMCGear

Gold Member
Anyone have and use both of these knives? I'm looking specifically for a knife to carry at the office so I like this blade size for that. I've owned a N5 G10 in the past and remember really liking it (sold it to get a more expensive blade). I don't mind a back lock but I do like the compression lock so the Para 3 looks good as well. The N5 looks like it may carry better but it's also heavier.

Thoughts and comparison pics are encouraged!

The Native ergos are like velcro in your grip.

I'll prob never buy a Para3. I just don't see anything worth it.

Native 5 G10 all day. The blade is not as thick but I think that's a plus. The Para 3 (at least for me) just didn't translate well when shrunk. I know some people love it....just not me. To me the blade on the Para 3 looks awkwardly short and thick.

I have the Native 5 in Maxamet and the G10 version. I also have the Para 3. I hardly ever use the Para 3. For some reason, I just can't warm up to that knife. I've carried it maybe 3 times. The Navtive, though, I absolutely love. Especially the G10 version. It's so solid feeling and fits my hand much better. It, IMO, is a beautiful looking knife. I will be getting the new CF version shortly.

I personally like the Para 3 better. I did not like the way it carried with the stock clip. I put a lynch northwest deep carry clip on mine and now the knife carries and feels perfect. I have had both G10 and lightweight versions of the native, got rid of the G10 and still have the light weight. The native 5 G10 feels to hevy for its size. I do love the native 5 LW. The new carbon fiber version of the native 5 looks tempting
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C41CFF5/1062

N5 for sure, though I prefer the LW. Also check out the Sage5, which carrier better than either IMO.

I would probably also say native 5. It's a bit heavy, but it is nicely built and carries well. I think I carry my LW more as well though, and as mentioned above, the sage 5 is another great option too.

I have a g10 N5, para 3, and sage 5. I love them all! If you like to sit around flicking your knife get one of the compression locks. The N5 is a solid and reliable knife. The sage 5 is a great slicer and very light in the pocket. Buy them all or any one of them. I wouldn't want to be without any of them!

I know that probably doesn't help you decide anything. But I guess it really comes down to whatever knife you're drawn to the most. All are great knives.

Native 5, it freaking melts into your hands. Probably the most comfortable knife I own, ergos are top knotch!

I had both. Kept the para 3. More fun to operate and little lighter. Also prefer a flow thru design. That being said, i have several native 5 LW's. Love those.

I have owned both ... I still own 2 Native 5 G10s ... that should give you my choice.

i own both,hard to beat the native 5/G10!but i use my para 3 more only because its grip/handle is a bit longer as needed because of my large hands!but both these are stout medium size folders,its grate to have both though .

I own both as well. The trouble is, is that the Native 5 G-10 sits near the bottom of the stack of boxes in my knife drawer. Perhaps I need to reorganize it so I carry it more. I really like the Native, built like a tank and the S35VN is razor sharp.

oh!i forgot if your still looking for a medium size folder!and don't mind frame locks,the sage 2 titanium(RIL) is one of the best,vary solid lock-up with grate engagement,had mine over 2 1/2 years now,and its worth owning!its 3.5 oz and deep carry wire-clip make it a joy to carry when in shorts or jeans,hope this helps.

I have both in S110V I love the Native 5 but it is not fun to play with. It does not flick out easily and I like to play with my knives but I love the leaf shaped blade on the Native 5. I always carry 2 knives and when I carry the N5 I make sure the second one is flickable.

My 2c is I will never buy a PM3. Natives are outstanding. It is funny, but I would either buy a "standard issue" S35VN Lightweight or skip straight to the Fluted CF S90V. I have the former and count the days until I have the latter!

....but I would either buy a "standard issue" S35VN Lightweight or skip straight to the Fluted CF S90V.

That's pretty good advice. I have Natives in several flavors including the 40th Anniversary. My favorite is the S35VN LW and the nicest is the 40th. I originally wanted the fluted CF/S90V but, when they announced they weren't going to make it, I found a deal on the 40th on the Exchange and went for it. Now I'm eyeing that FCF/S90V haha. I could be very happy with just the S35VN LW and a FCF model.

Back