Native 5 - the perfect pocket knife?

Received my S35VN PE Native 5 today. GREAT KNIFE! It's pretty much perfect in every way. My one issue isn't really an issue; it feels like a pocket shredder when clipping and pulling it out. Not really a problem, though. It's so light and small, I can just drop it down into my pocket, clip and all, like a true pocketknife. IMO, it's a lot more solid-feeling than it appears in photos. This one is a real winner.

Jim

No doubts, Spyderco did the great job to upgrade to generation 5.

I sanded down the sharp edges of the ridges under the clip, and it is a lot gentler on pockets.

I sanded down the sharp edges of the ridges under the clip, and it is a lot gentler on pockets.

Interesting. Previous versions are already gentler. I move that this thread be renamed The Spyderco Native, the perfect model.

My LW as a very tight pocket clip and I thought it would be a "pocket shredder," but it has not turned out that way. It's actually pretty easy on the pocket in spite of the firm grip.

Sold mine, already missing it. But since I can't casually EDC a locker, gotta make the most of a small rotation.

I just sent my brother a lightweight S35vn Native. He's never had a quality locking pocket knife and currently only carries a Victorinox Classic (not that there's anything wrong with that). Looking forward to seeing what he thinks.

I think the Native is a great knife. I mean, it's no Caly 3, but the size and ergos are pretty similar and there are way more Native options than Caly 3s, so it's close enough for me. :p Looking forward getting the Maxamet Native when it's available. I don't need a Maxamet knife, mind, but I know I want one just because. :D

I think the Native in all its variants is the perfect pocket knife and the 5th generation just continues that pedigree. My first spyderco was a Native 2 all stainless make in seki city. After a bunch of years of wear and tear I got a native 4, loved the steel upgrade to s30vn and loved the weight loss the frn provided. After the N4 I strayed from spyderco for a few years and recently put a new Native 5 in my pocket. I quickly remembered why I had loved this model for so many years. What originally drew me in was it's lack of a thumb ramp and what kept me loyal was its choil enhanced ergonomics. The Native is as close to perfect as I've found.

I bought a PM2, matriarch 2, a native 5 and a endura 4 this month and out of all of them I can't stop playing and using the N5. Just a great little EDC that is so nice to carry.

My Native 5 lightweight locks open like a bank vault. For a linerless FRN model, it sure has a solid feel to it. I've just been carrying it down in my pocket, and keep the clip on for finger purchase when I one-hand open it. Interesting that Spyderco chose to give it a mildly bead-blasted finish, but no issues with it. It just takes a little more attention when wiping off the blade after cutting certain things. This thing cuts like a laser, as do most of my FFG knives, but this Native 5 cuts with incredible ease. I already liked S35VN before, and I like it even more now.

Jim

I agree, the wire clip would make the carry very nice, but I have to say that I really enjoy the look of the bronzed clip of my newly obtained native 5 LW s110v. I really love the dark blue color as it hides in the jeans pretty well.

Honestly, my 1st impression when I got the knife were just kind of bleh. I prefer the refined feel of an axis lock but after a few days carrying it around I've started to really like the solid feel of the knife. The axis lock feels super fluid but frail (even though it's not, all about perception). The strong lockback and in hand feel of the native makes me feel like I need to start carving tent stake or hot dog roasting sticks just because the native is within reach.

Z2L9ZAYl.jpg

"Native 5 - the perfect pocket knife?"

It is in my books. Light weight, solid and unpretentious. It doesn't try to be something it's not. It is simply a knife with some of the finest ergonomics and cutting ability there is, bar none. My first Spyderco was/is an original Native and the Native 5 I just bought is an improvement on the original. I will be adding more.

I liked the Native when I first came across them in WallyWorld for $30 (or was it $40) years ago. Terrific deal for an S30v folder at the time. I bought 3 or 4 of them. These have been great. I'll have to look over the newer models. The Native and Dragonfly are some of my favorite light duty folder designs.

This Native 5 lightweight punches well above its weight. The only thing that might make it 'perfect' IMO is if the 'Spyder' logo on the handle (where the clip contacts it) were a longer, oval shape like on the Delica 4. That would allow it to still clip solidly, but without being a pocket shredder.

Jim

Back