Native 5 - the perfect pocket knife?

My only complaint of the 5 is the omission of the model name. I ordered a replacement of my daughters 2014 pink Native. From a random online retailer. Ugh. Because I couldn't bring myself to buy the Native 5 that didn't have Native on the grip. Even though the 5 is cheaper.

Bring back the Name! The Japanese Endura and Delicas still have the name on the grip.

My only complaint is that the knife rides too high & being smaller is not secure in the pocket. They should add a OEM deep carry clip or wire DCC.

Finally got one, so figured I spark up this thread.

Happy and sad.
It exceeded my expectations. I can't believe how much I like using it. :D
What am I going to do with the knives that will be collecting dust because of this one? :(

lH9tT5il.jpg

What am I going to do with the knives that will be collecting dust because of this one? :(

lH9tT5il.jpg
Sell them to buy more Natives :) Just keep Natives and Calys.
There are days, when I carry two of them :), But why limit yourself to just two?:)

What a great idea! I'm no stranger to carrying couple knives at times. The the lock back being 100% ambidextrous, makes it makes it perfect for filling both pockets.

I was seriously considering getting the Chaparral, but seeing how much I like this one, I think I am going to skip it. Native in S110V or Maxamet sound about right...

Finally got one, so figured I spark up this thread.

Happy and sad.
It exceeded my expectations. I can't believe how much I like using it. :D

lH9tT5il.jpg

When did the N5 start coming with a full flat grind? I always thought they had a big swedge on top?

It is a flat ground blade with small spine swedge. Older versions were hallow ground with a bigger swedge.

I like the newer look.
Big mistake. I like all Natives. I own few originals, N4 and N5. I used to have N2 as well. Native5 is cream of the crop. I will not say that this is "must have" knife. Everybody is different, but Native5 is certainly "must try" knife. There are a lots of people, who never were Native lovers but were pleasantly surprised by Native5. I carry of of my Natives5 every day.

I'm still enjoying carrying and using my S35VN lightweight.

A question:
I'm considering eventually getting an S35VN Native 5 in G10, and would like to know how it clips to the pocket. Meaning, is the G10 particularly rough at the contact point with the clip? Or does it grip well while being easy enough to clip in and pull out without chewing up pocket fabric? I'm considering the G10 one for when I'd like to carry a Native 5 clipped, while carrying the lightweight when I'd need or prefer down in-pocket carry.

Jim

I'm still enjoying carrying and using my S35VN lightweight.

A question:
I'm considering eventually getting an S35VN Native 5 in G10, and would like to know how it clips to the pocket. Meaning, is the G10 particularly rough at the contact point with the clip? Or does it grip well while being easy enough to clip in and pull out without chewing up pocket fabric? I'm considering the G10 one for when I'd like to carry a Native 5 clipped, while carrying the lightweight when I'd need or prefer down in-pocket carry.

Jim

I really don't think the G10 is an upgrade, my S110V LW was never under knifed or at any time I wish I had a stronger knife. I also have the cf laminate N5 with steel liner which is essentially the same as the G10 version. It's heavier.... and gives you a false sense of robustness. About the only plus is that it looks more sophisticated. And YES the G10 will rip your jeans on the 2nd day carrying it if you pull it out more than 3 times a day.

Back