Natrix vs matrix the 0777 quagmire

Too bad when you compare his products to others that people claim he copied from they bare a LOT of similarities. Can they define when the similarities are too much? I dont think so... You can go on youtube and find plenty of examples demonstrating the similarities.

As a reader of the site and a person who owns knives from neither brand, I find this entire case pointless. Will it go to trial? Probably not. However to take a person to court for pointing out what Natrix means in relation to an event from a long time ago is insane. Everydaycommentary in all of the times I have interacted with him has been classy and calls out products rather than makers. He truly cares about gear rather than what logo is on the side. I have never personally interacted with Microtech but the decision to use proprietary hardware, loctite, and obviously copy a unique design is my reasoning for that. KAI IMO was absolutely amazing for the use of a composite Damascus blade, something no other maker has done.

Using my legal knowledge the below is what I've gathered
  1. The article was published and since removed
  2. Mediation is the next upcoming step
  3. If it goes to trial the burden of proof will be high with a need for clear evidence and proof that it lost business
  4. The legal fees will probably be far too high to make this a profitable endeavor
  5. The documentation of all of the necessary articles in question plus them going after KAI will make this case a matter of how well can they prove intent to falsely mislead.
  6. The difference between a public figure and private person for defamation can lower the burden of proof. Does Schulibrene(EDCommentary) qualify as a public figure in the sense of the term is an important question if it goes to trial.

My biggest fear is that this means that certain reviewers(Shabazz, Everydaycommentary, ApostleP) will worry about making commentary about the origins of a knife the story behind it and willingly point out flaws.

Just took a quick look, wow.

You would think that in the midst of a lawsuit Anthony and his wife would refrain from antagonizing strangers on the internet...
You would think, but
Here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/MicrotechKnivesOfficial/posts/1833541920242068:0&width=500

For non-Facebook people, here is the original text unaltered:

"
Freedom of Expression and Defamation

The First Amendment to the US Constitution provides that the government cannot censor speech, prevent people from peaceably gathering together, establish a religion, or prevent people from freely exercising religious beliefs.

This right to free speech entitles a person the freedom to form and express their own opinion, to the extent that they do not incite or cause harm to others in doing so.

A person has every right to call someone an asshole, or to publicly state that they don’t like a product. They’re entitled to say that it’s a bad product. These are all statements of opinion and are protected under the First Amendment.

However, to claim that the maker of a product is a liar, is deceptive, and is a thief without providing substantial evidence of proof, is considered an unfounded claim and a defamatory accusation, directed personally to an individual’s character with the intent to cause harm to that person’s reputation.

Defamation lawsuits are a long established, recognized right and a legal method of dealing with untrue statements that intend to damage an individual and/or their reputation.

Defamation lawsuits do not seek to censor an individual or to limit their expression of opinion. They are in place to protect individuals from untrue and unjust statements.

As a manufacturer creating specialized products for specific user groups and purposes, review and critique of those products is essential for the evolution and advancement of innovation. As a knife maker with decades of contribution to the industry, Anthony Marfione and Microtech Knives openly welcome and encourage constructive criticism of our products.

We challenge everyone, especially those who are skeptical of our product quality, to pick up a Microtech or Marfione Custom product for yourself. If after comparing our products to the competitor’s, you feel we’re offering a sub-par product, we would love to hear your feedback on how we can improve.

We strive to deliver American-Made craftsmanship with superior quality. We believe this is evident as soon as you pick up a Microtech or Marfione Custom product. We understand that no product is perfect and we count on our customers to provide feedback and criticism to understand how we can improve. Your feedback enables us to deliver the best products possible, striving to continuously improve upon and evolve our level of craftsmanship.

To all of our customers, and to all those who support the evolution and advancement of the knife industry, we are grateful for your contribution, your criticism and your support.
"

I/E: The legal and hr deparments just got wind of the shitstorm and realized they needed to get on the ball.

Here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/MicrotechKnivesOfficial/posts/1833541920242068:0&width=500

For non-Facebook people, here is the original text unaltered:

"
Freedom of Expression and Defamation......

(Edited for brevity)

........We challenge everyone, especially those who are skeptical of our product quality, to pick up a Microtech or Marfione Custom product for yourself. If after comparing our products to the competitor’s, you feel we’re offering a sub-par product, we would love to hear your feedback on how we can improve.
"

I love how he challenges us to spend money on their stolen products we aren't allowed to maintain or sharpen.

It'd be nice to see see big name knife retailers no longer choosing to do business with Microtech. I vow to never buy any of their products, i'd like to see my favorite knife retailers do the same.

ill be buying the zt 850 for myself as support for zt. id like to try an otf so i suppose i'll be looking at heretic

Read up on libel per se. If the actions meet the standards, then damage to business reputation is pretty much presumed and special damages to not have to be proven. Also, it does not matter if Schulinbrene is a public figure. That only applies to the plaintiff and in case of Marfione, the libel per se rule may override that, thereby eliminating the requirement to prove actual malice.
As a reader of the site and a person who owns knives from neither brand, I find this entire case pointless. Will it go to trial? Probably not. However to take a person to court for pointing out what Natrix means in relation to an event from a long time ago is insane. Everydaycommentary in all of the times I have interacted with him has been classy and calls out products rather than makers. He truly cares about gear rather than what logo is on the side. I have never personally interacted with Microtech but the decision to use proprietary hardware, loctite, and obviously copy a unique design is my reasoning for that. KAI IMO was absolutely amazing for the use of a composite Damascus blade, something no other maker has done.

Using my legal knowledge the below is what I've gathered
  1. The article was published and since removed
  2. Mediation is the next upcoming step
  3. If it goes to trial the burden of proof will be high with a need for clear evidence and proof that it lost business
  4. The legal fees will probably be far too high to make this a profitable endeavor
  5. The documentation of all of the necessary articles in question plus them going after KAI will make this case a matter of how well can they prove intent to falsely mislead.
  6. The difference between a public figure and private person for defamation can lower the burden of proof. Does Schulibrene(EDCommentary) qualify as a public figure in the sense of the term is an important question if it goes to trial.

My biggest fear is that this means that certain reviewers(Shabazz, Everydaycommentary, ApostleP) will worry about making commentary about the origins of a knife the story behind it and willingly point out flaws.

I love how he challenges us to spend money on their stolen products we aren't allowed to maintain or sharpen.
According to my warranty card and the warranty information on the M/T website they will not honor a warranty claim if the knife was improperly sharpened. The way I understand it is if you take a UT and try to sharpen it with power tools and do irreversible damage you are SOL.

According to my warranty card and the warranty information on the M/T website they will not honor a warranty claim if the knife was improperly sharpened. The way I understand it is if you take a UT and try to sharpen it with power tools and do irreversible damage you are SOL.

And they are the one who determines that vague warranty. Seems totally trust worthy coming from such a company :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I enjoy reading commentary, but do not put much stock in the actual opinions of others unless there is a non-subjective element to it. So what one person says about a knife, knife company, or owners/employees, is just their own opinion. Sometimes an enjoyable read, and sometimes horribly worded drivel.

But....when the actual players show up and turn their company and product into a circus freak show, those previous individual opinions now start to have credence. Absolutely NO ONE on the outside of Marifone/Microtec could make the company as big of joke as they have done on their own.

I enjoy reading commentary, but do not put much stock in the actual opinions of others unless there is a non-subjective element to it. So what one person says about a knife, knife company, or owners/employees, is just their own opinion. Sometimes an enjoyable read, and sometimes horribly worded drivel.

But....when the actual players show up and turn their company and product into a circus freak show, those previous individual opinions now start to have credence. Absolutely NO ONE on the outside of Marifone/Microtec could make the company as big of joke as they have done on their own.

Maybe they should sue themselves. Oh wait.....aren't they suing a family member already? Just an all around company with great values.....

And they are the one who determines that vague warranty. Seems totally trust worthy coming from such a company :rolleyes:
I suppose your are right. Thinking about if my microtech ever failed, I know I would source every possible option before chancing sending it back.

Is that his wife in the FB thread backing up that maniac who supposedly works for MT??
Susan M??
Is she insane???
Also, that idiot supposedly works at MT?? He is definitely insane!! And what in God's name is a fagget??
Wow.

Last edited:
Is that his wife in the FB thread backing up that maniac who supposedly works for MT??
Susan M??
Is she insane???
Also, that idiot supposedly works at MT?? He is definitely insane!! And what I'm God's name is a fagget??
Wow.
Seriously, this lawsuit, Facebook drama and their own hubris is turning this into a much bigger PR disaster than any article or knife could. Having an employee hurl threats, slurs and abuse and not immediately firing him? Sheer insanity.

Guarantee you the loss of revenue from their fb posts and social media drama after the law suits will be higher for microtech/marfione than the damage caused by the blog. I am sure those screen shots have made their way to the right people. Defamation libel per se is tricky here for the defendant. Yet he simply has to demonstrate how multiple knives made by the plaintiff bare very close similarities to previously manufactured knives by other makers. It is ok, I am not scared of the guy threatening me. He wont do a damn thing and I will never stop calling out babies when I spot them. No matter how much bigger than me they are. Id say the same thing to his face and watch him have a butthurt meldown. Microtech/Marfione might as well merge with Cold Steel.

Just an all around company with great values.....

There was a recent stink over the fact that Microtech had a 'no CCW' sign posted at their place of business. From a company that makes knives, weapons, and suppressors, and used to make firearms.

Susan M??
Is she insane???
Also, that idiot supposedly works at MT?? He is definitely insane!! And what I'm God's name is a fagget??
Wow.
Isn't a fagget one of those bearing spinner finger toys? I believe it's pronounced with a soft "g"...used in a sentence:
"If it weren't for my custom Microtech fagget, I'd never make it through another conference call."

You're welcome. ;)

Isn't a fagget one of those bearing spinner finger toys? I believe it's pronounced with a soft "g"...used in a sentence:

"If it weren't for my custom Microtech fagget, I'd never make it through another conference call."

You're welcome. ;)

^ Thank you! ;)

I love Microtech's- but I sure in the hell wouldn't buy one of those!
A "spinner finger toy" on the other hand... :D

Back