Nessmuk Group Buy - Steel Has Been Ordered

Sorry I have not been very active recently. Things around the hose have been very hectic and I have been trying to spend more time in the shop getting things done.

In case any of you interested in this project did not notice the change in the thread title, the steel for this Nessmuk project has been ordered.

I have not forgot about the promised sketches. I have been bouncing a lot of ideas around, just have not put pencil to paper yet.

I want to hold somewhat true to the pattern, but make it have a more Big Chris style.

Excited to see sketches.
well all is final, is there going to be a signup sheet?
I need a big chris, and i need another nessie

da9454938288560292acb021e5db14bc.jpg

I was thinking about your sketch and I came across this Nessmuk (the top one) and it reminded me of your style Chris except with a higher grind. Just some eye candy to get you started.

Im liking the bottom one more.

I want to be able to skin and dress a deer with mine.

Chris has a picture of his muk on his fb page which is in line with the bottom one here. I too think that this is a good design just wonder if making a more rounded spine or even a swedge would be a too big step away of a muk concept.

I'm looking for more of a chopper so I need something with a little more length at the moment but yes I too like the the bottom one. No matter what blade you like there is no debate that the second one has a better looking handle by far and looks to have a full grind instead of a high scandi like grind. What I like the most about the first one is the length and the black on the blade reminds me of Big Chris custom's. But these two blade does give us something to look at and compare different styles.

IMG_0024.jpg

This is a very old picture, but is representative of the direction my mind keeps leading me.
This knife was right at 9" OAL with a 4.25" blade. At the the widest the blade is just shy of 2".
My plan is to stick roughly with the 9" OAL and play with handle shapes and sizes. I will also narrow the blade slightly to closer to 1.5" to 1.62".

Do you guys like this style?
Let me know.

I like this style for sure. :) Looking forward to the sketches of variations on a theme.

This is a great looking knife, indeed! It could be made more narrow, but I would prefer 2 inches since a wider muk would serve better as a spatula. This would be very useful IMO.

What I would like to see changed?
1. considerably more narrow ricasso, so that the blade is sharp almost down to the "choil"
2. blade length closer to 4.5 inch
3. deeper "choil" so that this muk could be used santoku style.
4. a bit of a swedge or just somewhat rounded spine between the tip and that hump, but here I am not sure. The idea is that it'd be more pleasant to eat from a knife with a rounded spine and it would not scratch a pan that much

Great starting point, change as needed to fine tune to what want. I also like making the width from 1.5 to 1.62.

Chris,

When I look at the picture of the knife you posted, I see just a little amount of Nessmuk influence. I would see more Nessmuk in this knife if the hump becomes more rounded instead of coming to a point.

I to would like to see the edge brought back as much as it can.
I would love to see a 4.5" handle along with a 4.5" blade as that is a sweet combination for balance, a nice size handle and more than enough blade length for a variety of tasks.
At this time I have no preference on width until I see a sketch of what you come up with.

Back