New (and old) 7/7 thread

I've always been a 7/7 fan, see my avatar, and I wanted to start this thread to discuss the new and old 7/7. I saw the latest S!K Instagram video of the new 7/7 and I got really excited!

https://www.instagram.com/surviveknives/

I chatted with Guy and he's really impressed with how they came out. I've always loved the way the 7/7 performs and I've tested it against a TON of knives including: several 6' Busses, Ka-Bars, Koster MUCK, ESEE-6 and a few others. My testing included cutting, carving, batoning, sharpening, fine work, chopping, etc., and if the 7/7 didn't win out it was usually second best at at task. If you want to see more of these look up some of my older posts for reference.

Anyway, I'd love to hear about how you guys are using your 7/7s and about who's ordered the new ones. I am not interested about another bitch thread please post your concerns there. I would also love to hear your opinions of how your 7/7 stack up against other knives that you use, good, bad or indifferent. Or where you think your new 7/7 will fit in your current lineup.

Here are my 2:

First off let me say that I do not own a 7/7.

I will say that the 7/7, the 6 and the 5.1 were the only 3 that I have gone back and forth with as to which one is the MOST practical knife own from S! I currently have a 1st gen 5.1 with that same FDE coating in the blade. I like the blade but for me its not perfect and i can't put my finger on what the problem is. I currently have a GSO-6 on order and wondering if I should get a 7/7.

Of the 7/7 and the 5.1 which one do you like better and how does the choil feel with the new handle vs the Gen1 handle?

I briefly owned one of the swedged 7/7's before another forum member had to have it. What I remember about it was how close to perfect the balance was and that model was like a fighting/woods knife all rolled into one. After I sold it I took the $ and pre ordered one of the new spec 7/7's and cannot wait for it to ship.
It's a lot of knife and with the shorter blade height it looks to be more of a stabby/pig sticking piece of D3V. Did I say I can't wait?

First off let me say that I do not own a 7/7.

I will say that the 7/7, the 6 and the 5.1 were the only 3 that I have gone back and forth with as to which one is the MOST practical knife own from S! I currently have a 1st gen 5.1 with that same FDE coating in the blade. I like the blade but for me its not perfect and i can't put my finger on what the problem is. I currently have a GSO-6 on order and wondering if I should get a 7/7.

Of the 7/7 and the 5.1 which one do you like better and how does the choil feel with the new handle vs the Gen1 handle?

I like them both about the same but for different reasons. If the new 7/7 handles are the same as the 5.1, which they are, the new 7/7 will be a MONSTER! If I had to pick one it would depend on the use case. The 5.1 if I never go camping again, the 7/7 if I were camping on a regular basis. But having both is really the best of both worlds!

I have had two 7/7's. The first 7/7 was the first SK that I ordered! I ordered it from the original production run. While waiting for it I scored my first 5.1. Both had blaze G10 handles. I put them head to head in all of the things I usually do with my fixed blades and found that for me there was no advantage over the 5.1. The 5.1 could do everything the 7/7 could and carried easier. Im sure batoning with the 7/7 would let you split larger pieces of wood compared to a 5.1, but even there, I never batoned anything where I need the extra blade length. I sold it to buy different models. Always regretted it.

I snagged a Black DLC 7/7 off the forums that needed cleaning up and sharpening. Got it looking good again and carried it on body armor at work. It got to be that it took up too much real estate and I when I needed to add more stuff, I took off the 7/7. It sat for a while and then I moved it along as well.

The new version of the 7/7 looks pretty sweet and more purpose designed as a soldier's knife. I didnt order one but my buddy did so I will get to check one out

Interesting points all. I thought the same about the 5.1 too but eventually I grew to appreciate the slightly longer blade after a conversation with Guy. However it was chopping and batoning with 7/7 in the field was what won me over. The new 7/7 is slightly bigger and should be even better than the old one.

Want to hear something hilarious? When I first got here I thought if I had a 7/7 and 4.1 then I'd have most practical bases covered and I'd never want or need another knife again. Ha!

My original thought was that if a GSO 5 or 6 is capable as a mid size knife, then a 7/7 would be capable-er.

As much as I liked the old style, I really like the updates. All the new spec needs is the option for a swedge :D

Want to hear something hilarious? When I first got here I thought if I had a 7/7 and 4.1 then I'd have most practical bases covered and I'd never want or need another knife again. Ha!

My original thought was that if a GSO 5 or 6 is capable as a mid size knife, then a 7/7 would be capable-er.

As much as I liked the old style, I really like the updates. All the new spec needs is the option for a swedge :D

Yep, I always smile when somebody says that they'll never need another knife. :)

...but baton stick lives matter too!?!?!
Ok ok, we need both models out in the world. Flat spine for your batoning pleasure and swedged for tactical pig hunting.

Yep, I always smile when somebody says that they'll never need another knife. :)
I seriously tried being practical and realistic about my knife needs. It was the worst 30 minutes of my life :D

I'm a latecomer to this party but thought the same when I reviewed the GSO lineup, so ordered both. (Hope to see them soon.)

Subsequently thought the 4.1 might prove larger and heavier than needed for most use, so ordered a couple of 3.5s. (Couldn't decide on the steel.)

Then the 4.5 looked too sweet to pass up, and finally, just before preorders closed for the 6, I said, "What the hell -- it might be the perfect all-around knife for the zombie apocalypse, in which case I'd regret being without."

Meanwhile I've added a couple more Bark Rivers and a Spyderco folder or two to the collection.

Addiction? I don't know what you're talking about!

My conversation with Guy was "carry the 7/7 and a 4.1 and you're done".

I'm a latecomer to this party but thought the same when I reviewed the GSO lineup, so ordered both. (Hope to see them soon.)

Subsequently thought the 4.1 might prove larger and heavier than needed for most use, so ordered a couple of 3.5s. (Couldn't decide on the steel.)

Then the 4.5 looked too sweet to pass up, and finally, just before preorders closed for the 6, I said, "What the hell -- it might be the perfect all-around knife for the zombie apocalypse, in which case I'd regret being without."

Meanwhile I've added a couple more Bark Rivers and a Spyderco folder or two to the collection.

Addiction? I don't know what you're talking about!
I can think of much worse things to be spending money on ;)

My conversation with Guy was "carry the 7/7 and a 4.1 and you're done".
That is great insight and reassuring to hear :thumbup:

I had a few quick chats with Guy about the new 7/7, I have 2 on order. He sent me this picture, might be the one I ordered if not that's what I ordered, I think he also posted it to Instagram. I am really looking forward to it.

Here are a few action shots of my old 7/7 breaking up some seasoned oak last fall. I did manage to beat the blade into the slate below the cardboard. It just rolled the edge and I was able to strop it out in about 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Here are the shots after the beating it took from that wood. You can see the micarta handles took some hits and they have no damage. I called Ellie after I noticed the hits to the scales and asked if they were covered by their warranty. She said they were.

Here's what it looked like after I cleaned it up and stroped it.

I agree that the 7/7 is a great knife. The size and reach on these make them a great sized camp knife just like the GSO 6.
Here are the two 7/7's that I've handled.
e44edf22717ab96d1b14b5300efe3f17.jpg

1b1fa4431790abcbf32c21e3b539eb8d.jpg

And here's the new one.
32fadee2df013876d447a61af679d847.jpg

86b9f74d0015a4a7a6773011bc1a7aff.jpg

I'm hoping to track down a non-swedged version and maybe even one of the new ones.

I love the look of that knife. I wish Guy would make another run of these.

I have had two 7/7's. The first 7/7 was the first SK that I ordered! I ordered it from the original production run. While waiting for it I scored my first 5.1. Both had blaze G10 handles. I put them head to head in all of the things I usually do with my fixed blades and found that for me there was no advantage over the 5.1. The 5.1 could do everything the 7/7 could and carried easier. Im sure batoning with the 7/7 would let you split larger pieces of wood compared to a 5.1, but even there, I never batoned anything where I need the extra blade length. I sold it to buy different models. Always regretted it.

I snagged a Black DLC 7/7 off the forums that needed cleaning up and sharpening. Got it looking good again and carried it on body armor at work. It got to be that it took up too much real estate and I when I needed to add more stuff, I took off the 7/7. It sat for a while and then I moved it along as well.

The new version of the 7/7 looks pretty sweet and more purpose designed as a soldier's knife. I didnt order one but my buddy did so I will get to check one out

I still have the 7/7 with DLC coating I bought from you. Still haven't used it..lol It's a great knife but seem to take out my 4.1 and 5.1 for my purposes. I usually bring a saw and axe or hatchet with a smaller blade out in the woods.

I agree that the 7/7 is a great knife. The size and reach on these make them a great sized camp knife just like the GSO 6.
Here are the two 7/7's that I've handled.

86b9f74d0015a4a7a6773011bc1a7aff.jpg

I'm hoping to track down a non-swedged version and maybe even one of the new ones.

That smaller knife above the 7/7 what is that? and what is that symbol by the finger guard/choil area?

Back