New EDC

Hey fellas, thought I'd show you my new EDC. Six inch antiqued blade with a elk handle. Handy little thing.

I swear the signature looks much better in person than it does in the photo.

Last edited:
:thumbup: Nice. Has a rustic, "been around the block a time or two" fighter look to it.

OSC, Old School Carry! That's sweet, what's the end cap made out of?

I saw you were looking for potassium permangante, I need to get my hands on some too for an antler project I'm chipping away at.

OSC, Old School Carry! That's sweet, what's the end cap made out of?

I saw you were looking for potassium permangante, I need to get my hands on some too for an antler project I'm chipping away at.
Yeah, do you think I should leave it alone, or go after an amber handle. The end cap is a piece of lace wood I had laying around. I deliberately tried to make the knife look old, guess I succeeded.

That's a tough one, that will look great with some hand grease over the years, but some amber would look nice too.

Here it is after I used saddle leather dye on it, unfortunately, the color didn't hold.

Ohhh, I like that. Looks nice and aged, too bad it didn't hold.
I really like that blade profile and grind, it's makin my wheels turn, I'm starting to smell smoke!

Ohhh, I like that. Looks nice and aged, too bad it didn't hold.
I really like that blade profile and grind, it's makin my wheels turn, I'm starting to smell smoke!
Extend that grind out to about 8 or 9 inches, and you have a classic Sheffield bowie, John. I've made many of them and it's one of my favs.

Thanks David, I'm gonna give something like that a whirl.

Thanks, but no talent here David, just some patience. I really like that style.

Great overall effect--love the blade especially. Very nice work sir!

Wish I'd have found that earlier, you've got some great looking stuff in there.

Now that is a beautiful knife! Did that dye rub off with handling or fade? I'm a fan of the light color...I think that will patina up nicely with some use. What steel did you use?

Now that is a beautiful knife! Did that dye rub off with handling or fade? I'm a fan of the light color...I think that will patina up nicely with some use. What steel did you use?
Hey Tim! Thanks. Actually, I could have left it on, but with handling it developed areas where it was fine, others where it was a little spotty. I wanted an even overall golden color what would go deep. I've ordered some potassium permanganate, so hopefully next time you see this it will be a beautiful golden amber. As for the steel, it's 1084. I used mustard/cold bluing to add some age to the blade.

David,
Great looking blade, as John and the others have said, I like it a lot! Are you going to make a sheath? A little rawhide and buckskin would not go amiss.

Back