New Extrema Ratio

I couldnt get the pic of the Fulcrum Compact to work but i uploaded the Shrapnel(for those that cant see the imagestation pic), it looks like a really great knife i am glade to see that they are going with winder grinds, it kinda looks like the knife that i thought ER should be making, now if they would just produce my tanto design. . .

(btw email me the fulcrum compact if you want my to upload it to this thread)

John Greco used to put that little hole in the hilt, and some other makers do so, as well.
How do the designers mean for us to use those holes?

Nice knife.
ER does it again.

That shrapnel looks awesome. When will these be available in the US?

I like their new rescue knives. They look a little wierd but I think they are very functional. I wish there were some reviews for these knew kives, and some more pics.

Ken Cox said:
John Greco used to put that little hole in the hilt, and some other makers do so, as well.
How do the designers mean for us to use those holes?

Nice knife.
ER does it again.

Ken, I can't see the pix so I don't know what that one is. But I have a Greco and I asked him about the hole in the lower guard/hilt...

He said it was used for lashing the knife to a pole to use as a spear.

Nifty, but I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon, if ever! (Also, I'd think a hole for that purposes would be bigger... unless you were using fishline, you couldn't get even a single strand of whatever cord you were using thru those tiny holes...)

;)

-jon

For years I praised John Greco's knives and nobody other than myself had one, or so it seemed.
Now John has retired and Greco owners pop up regularly in these types of threads.
I wonder if I should talk to Spark about a Greco forum.

I have a Greco Persian, a rather obscure design of John's, and I have carried it for about ten years.
Which Greco does biogon have?

Unfortunately, for the longest time I was a Greco admirer. I only recently was a Greco owner, which kind of makes me a poseur, I suppose.

I picked up his MST IV (medium-size tactical) after he announced his illness. It's a very nice design. I like it greatly -- in fact, it's my bedstand knife. I had to sharpen it and add grip tape to the very smooth scales, but it has an inherently even balance and the grinds are awesome. It's no slicer, but it has held up quite well to some chopping and prying.

One of these days, I'll have to figure out how to work Micarta and grind myself some new scales. The knife deserves them.

Ken, you should post pictures of your Greco Persian. I've heard about it but have never seen it.

-j

the thread hijack continues....
I bought a Greco Explorer after his announcement. A 9" blade that is identical to the LaDuena except for the front hole. My first "big" knife. John was great to deal with. I hope he's doing well.

I just ordered a Greco Whisper.
I called John and it surprised me to learn he still has some Whispers (and Baby Whispers and MST's) in stock.

Biogon wrote:

"I had to sharpen it and add grip tape to the very smooth scales, but it has an inherently even balance and the grinds are awesome. It's no slicer, but it has held up quite well to some chopping and prying."

John has a deep understanding of ergonomics, and each of his designs lends itself to the task at hand.
The smoothness allows the user to move the knife around in his hand and minimizes blisters.

John puts a rather thick and rough (as opposed to thin and polished) edge on his knives on purpose.
He could easily make a finer and more polished edge.
I've noticed that my very sharp Spyderco Chinook II came with a similarly rough (really very smooth by many standards) edge, and many people have reported the Chinook as the sharpest out of the box knife they have ever purchased.

Anyway, John's steep axe edge makes it more damage resistant.
As a friend who knows once said, "an knife should be able to hit a belt buckle without damage to the edge."
John Greco's knives can hit a belt buckle without damage; in fact, one reviewer punched his Greco through the roof of an American car and then afterwards cut paper without resharpening the knife.

As regards my Persian, I have polished the edge and retained John's original angle.
I suppose I gave up a little aggressiveness, but I plead personal preference.

I need to look at the tutorials and learn how to post a picture on these forums.

Yes, we hijacked the thread.
No disrespect intended, but this whole forum seems adrift until ER replaces Frank, assuming ER even knows to do so.
In the best of all possible worlds, ER would work out some sort of accommodation with Frank so that he could continue to represent them here.
ER may not have shot themselves in the foot, but I think they stepped in dog doo by not making this sweet for Frank.
But then again, what do I know about it? :)

Ken,

It would seem you have a pretty good handle on it! That relationship is gone and I am on to new things.

But I thank you for your thoughts and ideas.

Hate to say it but it certainly appears that ER made a HUGE mistake with their termination of the relationship with Frank. Probably the best relationship they ever started and the worst mistake in terminating the relationship. :(

As I once heard a child say, "Too bad for them."

And they were such nice knives. :confused:

All the best,

Stuart

Back