New Fell Beast Run Is IN

Huntsman Knife Co.

Gold Member
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just got the new NITRO V and the 10 and 12in 52100 Fell Beast banks back from HT!

Will update with some pics as I get to work and do some testing on the NITRO V :thumbsup:

Got the first one finished up today! This is the new 12in model.

Really wanted to get the new logo on this one but the etcher was acting up :mad:

fe312312-9069-4dea-b770-c8319094272b_zpskw3ldzes.jpg

IMG_1656_zpswwynvgub.jpg

52100 for this one. Not sure on the weight. I'll measure it when I get back to the shop on monday. Feels very close to 1 pound.

Ill have all of the new variants available this weekend and will be posting a testing video of the new Nitro V blades in action. :thumbsup:

Pricing will be as follows

17.5in Nitro V Fell Beasts - $289 shipped with a sheath

12in 52100 Fell Beast- $239 shipped with a sheath

$10in 52100 Fell Beast $219 shipped with a sheath.

Did some testing today on the Nitro V 17.5in Ring Choil model and was really happy with the performance. Nitro V is all I hoped it would be performance wise. It's Every bit as tough as 52100 or tougher while being completely stainless and having excellent edge stability.

Here' some pics from testing today. I blew through some downed hardwood and made some chops into a honey locust tree which is some of the hardest wood out there. I've chain sawed a few of them in the past and the chain saw always gets dull after a couple cuts :eek:

I also cleared a bunch of brush to get a feel for the new handle style and I'm very happy with it. Works great with or without a glove.

I found an old aluminum step ladder and chopped it to pieces. Took 8-9 chops through the aluminum with zero edge damage. Edge thickness is .29BTE and about 20 degrees per side or so.

Finally I did a flexion test. Went to 90 degrees and back several times with no issues.

Overall I'm really excited about the Nitro V and will be moving forward with it in my big blades. :thumbsup: Its also a complete dream to grind which makes my shop time a little more pleasant.

lIjGmcM.jpg

Zero edge damage

zJXnnYi.jpg

Blasting through some downed hardwood

ixyyZgu.jpg

Yellow Locust is some nasty stuff. The Fell Beast is just not heavy enough to make the wood chips fly. This where the felling axe comes out.
KyqQjRI.jpg

v5vcHr8.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, that nitro-v looks good. I'm researching some steel to use for a river backpacking, kayaking knife. This looks like what I'm needing. What rc are you running this at? I'm assuming peters heat treat? And where are you buying this? Thanks hunter.

Nice, that nitro-v looks good. I'm researching some steel to use for a river backpacking, kayaking knife. This looks like what I'm needing. What rc are you running this at? I'm assuming peters heat treat? And where are you buying this? Thanks hunter.

I'm running it at 58-59 RC with a spring tempered spine done by Peter's. Something like 60-61 is probably better for a small knife. I get it from Aldo.

Sweet, after seeing your test, I may order up a couple bars. I'm going to design 2 different knives for use on backpacking guide trips for me and my cousin, we'll be guiding backpackers into the remote wilderness through the river valley, with about a hundred different river crossings. So I'm looking for something extremely tough with decent edge retention. Would you recommend a spring tempered spine on anything over about 7 inches in blade length? Thanks

Sweet, after seeing your test, I may order up a couple bars. I'm going to design 2 different knives for use on backpacking guide trips for me and my cousin, we'll be guiding backpackers into the remote wilderness through the river valley, with about a hundred different river crossings. So I'm looking for something extremely tough with decent edge retention. Would you recommend a spring tempered spine on anything over about 7 inches in blade length? Thanks

I did more testing today and this stuff really has outstanding toughness. As tough as anything I've used. I haven't really pushed the edge retention yet but I don't think it will be anything special. Its a pretty low carbide steel but it takes a nasty edge and is very easy to sharpen. Sometimes when you are out in the field the last thing you want is to have to fix edge damage on 10V or something crazy :eek:

I spring temper the spines on all of my knives that use oil hardening steel. Its almost certainly not necessary but its just an extra precaution I like to take and I love the look of a temper line. Its really only necessary if the knife sees alot of flexion or is used for heavy batoning.

Nitro V grinds like a dream and you'll be able to get a really great finish with minimal effort. Theres such a massive difference between grinding a simple low carbide steel and things like 3V or M4.

Cool to see a machete in S7...don't actually see many even though it seems like an ideal choice...I know it's costly though.

Back