New ferro rod strikers

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I don't make these very often but what it is is a 3" long, 1" wide, 3/32" thick piece of O1 heat treated and tempered to use for striking a ferro rod. They are not sharpened. It is mainly used as a striker. I have sharpened them for some people but it defeats the purpose for what they were designed for. I will post a pic in a few hours. In this pic you'll see the original design. The new one has a sheepfoot style blade and a straight line edge. I feel it will be more effective for striking.
Scott

Attachments

• minielk.jpg
    minielk.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 703
The one at the bottom is the new one. Hard to see real well in the pic. It's out of the first temper. It will look better cleaned up.
Scott

Attachments

• striker.jpg
    striker.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 481
right on scott.... :thumbup: these things rock... they throw a mean shower of sparks...:eek:

and yes, i am one of those folks that had scott sharpen one....:eek::D:cool: and boy is it sharp...

Hey Mike, where do you strike yours? Curious how well it works as a striker with a sharpened edge. I know Kevin Estela has one sharpened but haven't asked him yet.
Scott

I tested the spine of the of PSK on a firesteel and it makes a nice spark, a lot better then the striker it came with. I didn't try the edge.

Scott, maybe instead of making a sheepfoot design, you could keep it rectangular, like this:

striker.jpg

The top side can be used as a striker like the spine of the PSKs, the right side could be slightly thinned to be used as a flathead screwdriver and prybar, and the bottom could have a nice convex edge. I think that'd make a nice mini tool.

Hey Mike, where do you strike yours? Curious how well it works as a striker with a sharpened edge. I know Kevin Estela has one sharpened but haven't asked him yet.
Scott

i use the spine... i added a few thumb grooves on this one... it works just fine... i have never tried using the edge.. it's waaaaay too sharp for that...:eek:

Oooh, I like the new design. I think a sharpened little sheepfoot would be a great little utility blade as well. How much are these going to be? Would it be extra for a sharpened version?

Oooh, I like the new design. I think a sharpened little sheepfoot would be a great little utility blade as well. How much are these going to be? Would it be extra for a sharpened version?

$20.00 unsharpened, $25.00 sharpened. I'm going to make a 3/4" version too.
Scott

Looks good Scott, I'm in for 1 of each (sharpened and unsharpened ) when your ready.

tony-- you're going o love these things...:D they throw some mean sparks...

here's mine.. it's got a wicked sharp scandi/convex grind.....:D this pic also has a good shot of my damascus wedding ring...

IMG_0623.jpg

Mike, that's just like a miniature PSK, very cool. I like the Damascus ring too. I wouldn't mind rocking like a A2 or INFI ring myself when I get married.

Mike, I've been wanting one of these since you posted pics a while back.

Scott, I definitely will get a sharpened one of these. I'm thinking the 1" version.

Hey Mike, thats a sweet looking ring man. That striker looks razor sharp!

Hello All--

Scott, if there is a list please add me to it. My survival kit needs on of these. New style please; no sharp!

~Corbin

Last edited:
Scott, If these are still available, I would like some of the original design, sharpened... Purdy please...

I want a sharpened one as well. Please add me to your list if there is one!
Thanks, jake

Back