New Griptilian scales recommendation?

So I got a Cabelas exclusive Grip here on the forum. I love everything about the knife, except, the ''snakeskin'' scales kinda.... suck. Now I am perusing new scale options and wanted to know if anyone could help me out. I would like aftermarket scales, but I don't want to spend $75+(at least for the time being) on the scales like most places charge, because that's almost just as much as the knife. It really comes down to; are there any cheaper aftermarket scales(that aren't crap) or get some regular scales and save up for nice aftermarket scales?
(I already know about AWT's blems, right now they are out of stock and I don't prefer them because they look blocky. Although I haven't had any in hand so I might be wrong)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

So I got a Cabelas exclusive Grip here on the forum. I love everything about the knife, except, the ''snakeskin'' scales kinda.... suck. Now I am perusing new scale options and wanted to know if anyone could help me out. I would like aftermarket scales, but I don't want to spend $75+(at least for the time being) on the scales like most places charge, because that's almost just as much as the knife. It really comes down to; are there any cheaper aftermarket scales(that aren't crap) or get some regular scales and save up for nice aftermarket scales?
(I already know about AWT's blems, right now they are out of stock and I don't prefer them because they look blocky. Although I haven't had any in hand so I might be wrong)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Save up for nice aftermarket scales whose design and feel you like...spending the extra money will pay off in the long run.

Thanks, that sounds like my best bet. Now, it's time to figure out which one.
Yes that's the hard part...many diff handle materials and designs/textures to choose from. Just do your research and read reviews/check out pics, then contact the maker and get prices and timeframes for the build...they can differ greatly. You can also choose to buy some already made and install them yourself. Have fun with it and enjoy the process :thumbsup:

Personally, I love the AWT scales, but they are more of a blocky design. If you prefer something more curvy, then I'd definitely go with Keyman or DOAT. Their work is nothing short of pure art.

I just got a mini grip with awt scales and they are really nice. I prefer the block look to the original sculpted look and they feel pretty good in hand

I have gotten 3 sets of scales from Ryan, DOAT, and they are fantastic! He's an excellent dude to deal with also!
Good luck!
Joe

Cuscadi ? Love mine

image.jpg

Thanks everyone. I'm going to wait and see what happens, maybe grab something off the exchange if it comes around, or try a Blem from AWT.

All the guys/makers mentioned are excellent. To those I would add Igorded from Orel, Russia who works in G10, CF, wood, and Micarta. I have matching G10s in his random pattern for my 550 and 555 and green canvas Micarta on my 551SBK. Nice work, prompt service, good comms, reasonable price, good dude.

yPrSOEx.jpg

6mVUPEV.jpg

I have Wilkins on my Ritters, but they are "blocky" like the AWTs and considerably more expensive. I like the way they totally change the ergos on the knife to fit my crippled up old hand better. Kevin is a very solid businessman and good dude too.

bKYT0At.jpg

I've seen Igor's stuff here and on eBay and really like to the looks of it. Especially the black G10 with blue liners.

I'll just do a little shameless self promotion. Unfortunately nothing as cheap as you want, but the canvas micarta sets are pretty reasonable. The reason the griptilian is as cheap as it is, is because it doesn't have machined handles... that's why all the benchmade knives with machined handles cost twice as much. They can probably make 100 molded scales in the time it takes to machine one set of scales for another knife. So if you paid 100 for a griptilian and then 90 for machined scales to go on it, you're at $190 which is about 940 territory, so it seems about right. The only thing that really separates them is machined handles.

Last edited:
Back