***NEW KNIFE CONTENT*** Talon fixed blade

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
Guys, I have an opportunity to have some knives made overseas and I want to show you one of the prototypes. We are looking at a folder version of this as well in the 3.5" closed range. Right now all I have are fixed blade prototypes. These will be G10 scales in 8CR13MoV steel. It is a hair over 5" overall but handles larger due to the finger choils. I am going to change to a flatter fastener as I don't care for the rounded look of the pan head screws. Take a look and see what you think. *( These will retail in the $35-40 range.)* EDITED BELOW I'm trying to decide how many to have made and it will depend on distributor numbers as well. So, if you have any favorite dealers or distributors, send them the link to this knife and see what they think. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Edited to add better prices and possibilities of higher end steels. I want your opinions on what you'd like to see.

If I were to move to a higher steel, the options are basically D2 and S35VN.
8Cr13MoV = ~$30, G10 option only
D2 = ~$42, G10 option only
S35VN = ~$62 in G10, ~$75 in Carbon Fiber.

talon 1.jpg talon 2.jpg talon 3.jpg talon 4.jpg talon 5.jpg

Last edited:
Shoot "tools for gents" in Germany a message, they may also be interested in remaining companions :D

Brain, it looks like it would be a handy size, with a lanyard attached for easy removal and a better purchase. The heat treat wold have to be right so one would not be sharpening it all of the time.

None for me thanks, not in I 8CR13MoV I am surprised you would start something new with the companions so far behind schedule.

None for me thanks, not in I 8CR13MoV I am surprised you would start something new with the companions so far behind schedule.
What am I supposed to do, sit wringing my hands? I've done all I can do except hold guns to heads to get the Companions done.

Looks cool, I like a good pocket fixed blade. The jimping is a bit much for my tastes and I would probably go with a different steel. Just my .02 cents.

Do what you think is right. I just got the impression you were frustrated with this endeavor. I would not think you would start a new one before this was completed. Better luck this go round.

I like the look. Something a bit different from the usual knife. I would grab one if it would be close to the 30 range. Although I'd be good at 45 with a better steel.

Do what you think is right. I just got the impression you were frustrated with this endeavor. I would not think you would start a new one before this was completed. Better luck this go round.
I may have come off a bit strong in my last reply, I apologize if it was taken so as it wasn't my intention. This knife was not really planned so much as an opportunity presented itself and I took it. It's only been in the last month or six weeks that I've worked on this as anything but a drawing in Inkscape.

I'm honestly conflicted. This knife is outside the wheelhouse I initially envisioned for EKT. I didn't set out to build a company that would build cheap, lower class steel type knives. I set out to build a company that would build high quality knives. I'm going to go back to the shop and discuss higher end steels and possibly carbon fiber. M390 or S35vn and carbon fiber perhaps. I'm also going to change the jimping a little bit into something less aggressive and more inline with a high end knife.

I for one like the full jimping on a knife this size. The only concern I have is the steel, something along the lines of VG-10 would make it much more appealing without adding much to the cost. Other then that I would hate to see you leave the knife business, you have had so nice designs that would make good EDC's or camp blades, no frills just function.

If I were to move to a higher steel, the options are basically D2 and S35VN.
8Cr13MoV = ~$32, G10 option only
D2 = ~$42, G10 option only
S35VN = ~$62 in G10, ~$75 in Carbon Fiber.

Opinions?

Yeah, obviously, better steel is better, but my most-used knife is a small Sanrenmu folder (the 605, now discontinued), and it's 8Cr13. I tell you, I have beat the living crap out of that knife for five years with only two tiny nicks in the blade. I guess they must have done one hell of a heat treat on it.

I'm all for options. I want to choose steel and handle options, although I feel CF is a purely aesthetic choice in a blade this small. And speaking of small, I'd love it if the handle was a bit longer for us yeti-handed men.

Brian, I'd be down for one in D-2. I believe that one in s35v in this small of knife would be over kill.

I think the D2 option is a perfect match to price for this little beauty of a blade. I would definitely buy one.

Have you asked about 9Cr13MoV? It's basically 440C...which as everyone should know, with a good heat treat is quite good. And should keep the price down.

If that isn't an option, then the D2 could be good. But again, depending on HT.

Also, I'm not a fan of the jimping, but I like the design.

Back