New Leatherman Tools for 2011

How does the weight of these compare to a Vic Spirit? I tried to look it up, but it seems measurements vary significantly from NA Victorinox's claimed 5 3/4 oz. And the figure quoted on the Euro Victorinox converted from grams to ounces is closer to 8.7.

That 5 3/4 oz weight quoted for the Spirit is wrong, and I think from the source, of all things. Actually, at about 7 1/4 oz, it weighs about the same as the new Leathermen.

Last edited:
So from what I'm gathering so far (looking through multi-tool.org forums) (I have a life I swear!), is that:

1. These two models will replace the fuse and the kick. Which apparently means that all of leatherman's tools will now be locking, which is bad news for people that live in places where locking blades are illegal, and

2. These tools will be available in September.

Also I don't get why people are so disconcerted about the looks. Sure Mercedes can make a car that looks like a Hyundai, but it's still a Mercedes.

edit: if you click the link above there are some more pictures of the two tools. The carabiner that comes with the Sidekick looks awesome.

Leatherman Sidekick
Specs:
Stainless Steel Body
Spring-action Needlenose Pliers
Spring-action Regular Pliers
Wire Cutters
420HC Combo Knife
420HC Serrated Knife

Saw
Wood/Metal File
Ruler (1 in | 2.54 cm)
Small Screwdriver
Medium Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Bottle Opener
Can Opener
Wire Stripper
Carabiner Bottle Opener
Removable Pocket Clip
Lanyard Ring
Closed Length: 3.8 in | 9.7 cm
Blade Length: 2.6 in | 6.6 cm*
Weight: 7.0 oz | 198.4 g

what is the point of having a combo edge, and a serrated blade, both on the same tool?

So from what I'm gathering so far (looking through multi-tool.org forums) (I have a life I swear!), is that:

1. These two models will replace the fuse and the kick. Which apparently means that all of leatherman's tools will now be locking, which is bad news for people that live in places where locking blades are illegal, and

2. These tools will be available in September.

Thats not good news :thumbdn:. I like the Fuse and Kick as they are.

Serrations = failure.

Get rid of those ridiculous little combo blades and make them plain please. Otherwise rather nice. (But no match for my ingenious Skeletool CX! :D )

Video demo of the Leatherman SideKick and Wingman posted by some guys on Youtube:
[youtube]VrCIhp5Yhi8[/youtube]

They look pretty nice. Might pick one up as a small backpacking tool. Although I'd prefer it if they were closer in weight to the 5.5 oz SOG Pocket Powerplier...

When I heard about them I was hyped. But then I saw them and the implements and now not so much any more

These debuted at SHOT today. If you're a fan of leatherman on facebook, this is what they've posted. I don't know if there are any more, but these are the two they showed. They look pretty nice. I might buy the sidekick.

They are cheap too!

Wingman: $29.99
Sidekick: $39.99

Leatherman Sidekick
179093_178081835564326_122239001148610_348554_4125820_n.jpg

Specs:
Stainless Steel Body
Wire Cutters
420HC Combo Knife
420HC Serrated Knife
Saw
Wood/Metal File
Ruler (1 in | 2.54 cm)
Small Screwdriver
Medium Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Bottle Opener
Can Opener
Wire Stripper
Carabiner Bottle Opener
Removable Pocket Clip
Lanyard Ring

Leatherman Wingman
164714_178081955564314_122239001148610_348555_1105724_n.jpg

Specs:
Stainless Steel Body
Wire Cutters
420HC Combo Knife
Package Opener
Wood/Metal File
Scissors
Small Screwdriver
Medium Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Ruler (1 in | 2.54 cm)
Bottle Opener
Can Opener
Wire Stripper
Removable Pocket Clip

[youtube]VrCIhp5Yhi8[/youtube]

I'm a big fan of my SOG Powerlock because of it's solid build quality and ruggedness. The Victorinox model's fit and finish are widely acknowledged.

Having said said that as a nod to those other manufacturers, when it comes to continuous design innovations, the above models from Letherman are an example of that: following the Goldilock's principle of "juuust right" IMHO

- Just right length/pocket size
- Just right combo of tools for EDC
- Just right added features (spring-loaded action, access from closed position)
- AND to top it off: just the right price point :thumbup:

I assume they WILL have a hard wire notch, for goodness sake the Juice does and it's wimpy compared size wise to these. These are just protos, so not surprised if some stuff changes over the next several months, I remember how much the Freestyle changed from the first released pics with a fixed screwdriver until the final product was released. I'll probably get a Sidekick since it's still mostly US made like their other tools and carries the same 25 year warranty.

I agree this is not a very innovative product. Accept for the price it's not that intereting.

I agree this is not a very innovative product. Accept for the price it's not that intereting.

OK addtions to the line, but nothing really exciting or innovative happening there.
The spring loaded pliers are nice.

I agree, the major factor is the price, which is pretty impressive if the normal LM quality is there.

I dont know I have been wondering that since the first of September and have not found anything on the internet about it yet.

Amazon says the Wingman will be emancipated on October 15. Link.

Same date for the Sidekick.
They included a leather sleeve for the Sidekick, but not the Wingman, cheapies :grumpy:

Get rid of those ridiculous little combo blades and make them plain please. Otherwise rather nice. (But no match for my ingenious Skeletool CX! :D )

Looks like the Sidekick doesn't have serrations on the main blade.

Looks like the Sidekick doesn't have serrations on the main blade.

According to the specs posted here, it does, but in the Amazon ad picture, it does not. I could find no help from Leatherman on this.

Last edited:
According to the specs posted here, it does, but in the Amazon ad picture, it does not. I could find no help from Leatherman on this.

The Amazon pic was all I was basing the comment on, I don't have any inside scoop.
Maybe LM listened to feedback and removed them. Its not a make or break issue for me anyway, but they don't seem necessary on that one.
Maybe they removed the serrations so they could afford the leather sleeve.:D

Main thing I'm waiting for is to handle one or see comments from someone who has. If the LM quality is there, they will be nice items at that price.

The sidekick is indeed plain edged with a smaller serrated edged knife in the inside. You can find current high resolution photos on leathermans picture library www.leathermanlibrary.com Hope this is of some help. I noticed also that the carabiner bottle opener included with the sidekick has a hex shaped hole on the end, one can only hope this is to turn 1/4 in hex bits.

Back