New Lionsteel knife: M4

That green Buck 110 is gorgeous. As for the M4, it's an awesome bushcraft and all purpose knife. I love mine in cocobolo, even if I haven't used it much at all. Dutch bushcraft on YouTube did a review and they beat the living heck out of it, and stood up to it all with a stupid sharp edge that wouldn't quit. It seems lionsteel does m390 right.

That green Buck 110 is gorgeous. As for the M4, it's an awesome bushcraft and all purpose knife. I love mine in cocobolo, even if I haven't used it much at all. Dutch bushcraft on YouTube did a review and they beat the living heck out of it, and stood up to it all with a stupid sharp edge that wouldn't quit. It seems lionsteel does m390 right.

Appreciate the kind words on the 110. :)

Always good to hear more opinions and reviews on a knife you plan to use a lot. :thumbup: I haven't heard or read any cons in going with Lionsteel.

I picked up the M4 with black G10. It feels great in-hand to me. The handle might be a bit small if you have huge mitts, but fits my L hands well. The G10 is textured very nicely, much better grip than most of the G10 I've had, a very good handle overall.

As a fan of kydex for a user, I bought the G10 model with the thought of adding an aftermarket sheath. The leather it came with is nice enough that it would almost talk me out of that.

As a personal preference, I really like the lack of jimping and the rounded spine. If a person wants jimping or sharp spines, there are many options available on the market for that. This knife is going to be very comfortable for a lot of work because of the spine.

This is a very nice blade and sheath, at a great price point. As it just arrived today, I'm looking forward to the chance to use it for something meaningful, but am overall very pleased with my purchase at this point.

I picked up the M4 with black G10. It feels great in-hand to me. The handle might be a bit small if you have huge mitts, but fits my L hands well. The G10 is textured very nicely, much better grip than most of the G10 I've had, a very good handle overall.

As a fan of kydex for a user, I bought the G10 model with the thought of adding an aftermarket sheath. The leather it came with is nice enough that it would almost talk me out of that.

As a personal preference, I really like the lack of jimping and the rounded spine. If a person wants jimping or sharp spines, there are many options available on the market for that. This knife is going to be very comfortable for a lot of work because of the spine.

This is a very nice blade and sheath, at a great price point. As it just arrived today, I'm looking forward to the chance to use it for something meaningful, but am overall very pleased with my purchase at this point.
by far the best 120 bucks I've ever spent !

by far the best 120 bucks I've ever spent !

I'm amazed at the price point, and can't imagine that lasting forever. As an earlier poster stated, I'd almost buy a second just because.

Thanks for mentioning this one elsewhere. I'm glad it came up on my radar. Also it is very cool to see molletta interacting in this thread. Cheers.

Dave

I bought the M4 walnut. The knife I really liked. But there are drawbacks. Most do not like the fact that between the wooden plates and the blade has a slit.

I wonder if the G10 does that too?

Nope. I just rechecked mine as that surprised me with the walnut above. The G10 is fit perfectly, at least on mine.

zv3B7Pv.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. I just rechecked mine as that surprised me with the walnut above. The G10 is fit perfectly, at least on mine.

zv3B7Pv.jpg

In that case i would blame the natural quality of wood - drying - warping. Well at least thanks to lionsteel using screws and no glue you could always remove them and replace or sand them flat. So far everyone said the fit was perfect so i don't think this should happen. Unless it's been wet and then dried... Also depends on the wood finish

The US prices are so unfair, i cant find it under 150€ in europe, where its made.

Really nice pictures! Im looking forward to you showing us how it holds up in use.

Add 21% VAT you pay in Europe and you're at 151,25$. How big is the difference then?

Aleksey : You could install some liner/spacer material and it will fill the gap and look good too.

I bought the M4 walnut. The knife I really liked. But there are drawbacks. Most do not like the fact that between the wooden plates and the blade has a slit.

Perhaps that gap is left to accommodate swelling of the wood when wet? Also, there is a vertical line in the scale in the two bottom pictures, is that two separate pieces or the texture of the wood?

Such cracks were immediately as soon as I bought a knife. I did not expose wood to water. This is the texture of the wood.

Add 21% VAT you pay in Europe and you're at 151,25$. How big is the difference then?

Its 160€ at most places here. not so bad as 30€ difference though.

Do you mean american shops don't even show taxes online and you pay them later? Like they have it in regular shops?

Its 160€ at most places here. not so bad as 30€ difference though.

Do you mean american shops don't even show taxes online and you pay them later? Like they have it in regular shops?

In most US states you do not pay any VAT at all I believe. Sometimes they will list it as soon as you enter the state you would want to ship it to, but one of the Americans on here could clarify. I do know that the 125$ figure is excluding tax.

In most US states you do not pay any VAT at all I believe. Sometimes they will list it as soon as you enter the state you would want to ship it to, but one of the Americans on here could clarify. I do know that the 125$ figure is excluding tax.

If I'm understanding right, your VAT (value-added tax?) would equal our 'sales tax.' There is no federal sales tax (yet) but each state can determine their own sales tax rate, or none at all. For instance, I live in the state of Idaho which has a 6% sales tax. If I drive across the border into Oregon, they have no sales tax.

For brick and mortar business, it is pretty straight forward, you pay the sales tax of the state you are in, or none if they have no sales tax. However on internet orders, you will usually pay no sales tax unless you live in the same state as the Vendor. If I buy a knife from Survive Knives, which is in my state, I pay an extra 6%. When I bought the M4 from collectorknives, I was not taxed extra as an out of state sale. With free shipping, I got it here for about one hundred twenty-one US dollars, an amazing deal on such a knife IMO.

If I'm understanding right, your VAT (value-added tax?) would equal our 'sales tax.' There is no federal sales tax (yet) but each state can determine their own sales tax rate, or none at all. For instance, I live in the state of Idaho which has a 6% sales tax. If I drive across the border into Oregon, they have no sales tax.

For brick and mortar business, it is pretty straight forward, you pay the sales tax of the state you are in, or none if they have no sales tax. However on internet orders, you will usually pay no sales tax unless you live in the same state as the Vendor. If I buy a knife from Survive Knives, which is in my state, I pay an extra 6%. When I bought the M4 from collectorknives, I was not taxed extra as an out of state sale. With free shipping, I got it here for about one hundred twenty-one US dollars, an amazing deal on such a knife IMO.

Sort of the same indeed. Only that we in the Netherlands pay 21% (and many other countries as well) Germany 19% and in Finland even 24%. That explains a lot of the US-EU price differences right there.

Cool thanks for explaining. An italian knife bought cheaper in the US than in europe is really unfair :) now we know for sure

You're welcome. I'll admit I do not understand all the intricasies of international trade.

Just made the leap into Lionsteel last week. Placed an order for a TRE in Ti & bronze and the M4 in walnut. The M4 delivered today.

Amazing knife for the money. The grind is beautiful as is the edge and the tip. The contoured edge around this M390 just makes the whole knife feel special.

Was going to wait in line for a GSO 4.1, and so very glad I took this path. Very, very happy camper here.

All that said, the scales feel and look beyond stabilized wood. It's almost like my Kupilka cup. More synthetic than wood fiber. Maybe it's the sample I received?

How are you guys treating the scales? Mineral oil or something else?

Back