New Northridge Tool Grinder is Here! (Pics added)

My first 2x72 is on the way. I'm so excited to retire my Harbor Freight 1x30s now, or at least delegate them to a fixed use like ScotchBrite or edging.

This is similar to the unit on the way. I can't wait! :)

Gni3iet.jpg

bdVI3kA.jpg

GhJC8Lg.jpg

p5yQPPG.jpg

ktyz6ke.jpg

n0Mobxz.jpg

OdvK8Jl.jpg

BoMcPLu.jpg

Last edited:
That looks pretty cool, and I see it pivots.
Why the funky platen attachment coupling? Is that so you can use one arm to slide on other fixtures?
What was the cost?

That looks like a first class grinder. I would like to see a video of it working if you could. I love looking at new equipment and would have a dozen grinders if I had the space. Good for you. Larry

Jeff that is great. I can tell you that Northridge Tools is on the high road with the grinders they will produce. I bet you will be very happy with this baby.

I have had some in depth conversations with the principal at Northridge Tools, and their approach to all that they do is first class. They are really just getting started in the grinder biz. They have plans for lots of accessories that are wanted-like a surface grinding attachment, the vertical/horizontal flip plate--very cool small wheel attachment, much improved contact wheels in the not to distant future as well. The tools they are putting out are really well made solid tools.

I give them a big thumbs up and recommend them highly.

Jeff that is great. I can tell you that Northridge Tools is on the high road with the grinders they will produce. I bet you will be very happy with this baby.

I have had some in depth conversations with the principal at Northridge Tools, and their approach to all that they do is first class. They are really just getting started in the grinder biz. They have plans for lots of accessories that are wanted-like a surface grinding attachment, the vertical/horizontal flip plate--very cool small wheel attachment, much improved contact wheels in the not to distant future as well. The tools they are putting out are really well made solid tools.

I give them a big thumbs up and recommend them highly.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have worked with Northridge Tool in other industries and their quality and innovation is top notch. Second to none. I am very excited they are making grinders now to add to their rather impressive lineup of VERY high tech products. They are very innovative in all their endeavors, and I'm sure this product line will not disappoint. Thanks for the reassurance!

Ok great looking grinder, web page simply says STARTING at $899. Emailed for price list, 24 hrs later nothing. So does anyone know what the prices are? I'm within a week or two of ordering a variable speed NEMA 4 enclosure 1.5 or 2 HP grinder with flat platen hopefully with a solid tool rest. Any thoughts, recommendations?

LCoop, I think you are just a little ahead of Northridge Tools at this time--they will have all those options in about 4-6 weeks. Sooooo-if you really want to go ahead and get your grinder (which I totally getz) here's what options I would look at. First, you should check out the AMK grinder--AMK Tactical, you can find them on the web, they also have some grinders listed on the Bay. Their grinders are really solid, they have a flat platen and a contact wheel on one tool arm--this arm pivots and stays in place on the grinder-you just pull the pin and loosen a couple of lockdown knobs and turn the arm over. If you want to mount their small wheel attachment, you have to back two bolts out of the pivoting arm and pull the flat platen and bolt on the small wheel attachment. The principal, Allen Poe is a great guy, and he will outfit the grinder however you want--i.e. I got a 3HP Leeson motor and a KBAC VFD(nema IV enclosure) I have been very pleased with mine. If you want a more traditional grinder in the sense that it uses different tool arms with the various fittings you want i.e. flat platen on a tool arm, contact wheel on a tool arm, small wheel attachment on a tool arm and so forth, then that's what you would get with the Northridge Tool unit, (but I know about the wait) so for that type of grinder, I would look at Pheer or Esteem grinders. I think any of the above would be great for you, I'm a fan of the AMK and the Northridge.

Good luck whichever way you go!!

Mine arrived today. I live it. Many more accessories on the way. They will be ready very soon to be moving these full force. Its a big company specializing in precision and are down to the wire in some time issues. Do yourself a favor and give them a few days to come up above water. You wont regret it.

Jeff

LCoop, I think you are just a little ahead of Northridge Tools at this time--they will have all those options in about 4-6 weeks. Sooooo-if you really want to go ahead and get your grinder (which I totally getz) here's what options I would look at. First, you should check out the AMK grinder--AMK Tactical, you can find them on the web, they also have some grinders listed on the Bay. Their grinders are really solid, they have a flat platen and a contact wheel on one tool arm--this arm pivots and stays in place on the grinder-you just pull the pin and loosen a couple of lockdown knobs and turn the arm over. If you want to mount their small wheel attachment, you have to back two bolts out of the pivoting arm and pull the flat platen and bolt on the small wheel attachment. The principal, Allen Poe is a great guy, and he will outfit the grinder however you want--i.e. I got a 3HP Leeson motor and a KBAC VFD(nema IV enclosure) I have been very pleased with mine. If you want a more traditional grinder in the sense that it uses different tool arms with the various fittings you want i.e. flat platen on a tool arm, contact wheel on a tool arm, small wheel attachment on a tool arm and so forth, then that's what you would get with the Northridge Tool unit, (but I know about the wait) so for that type of grinder, I would look at Pheer or Esteem grinders. I think any of the above would be great for you, I'm a fan of the AMK and the Northridge.

Good luck whichever way you go!!

I've been really thinking about the AMK. For the money, It's hard to beat. My only hesitation is because it's aluminum framed, does it have the same "heft" for lack of a better word as say, a KMG. In other words, does it feel as solid? I've also read about other folks who have reservations about aluminum framed grinders around a lot of steel grit, for fear of the grit making the channel-tension fixtures come loose over time. I don't really think that's a legitimate issue myself but wonder what someone who has one would say to that?

Nice way to use $900 +/- to make the shop look better :eek:

Seriously though, the base is almost $900 without freight, what kind of extras did you need to get to get it to 'your standards'?

Scott (I'd have to mill a lot of timber for that one) B

Dmelton, the use of aluminum in the AMK is absolutely not an issue in it's solidity. I can assure you that the design is really well thought out, and Allen has a background in making stout stuff--I've put mine on some serious work, and noticed no undue stress or flex in any way. If you are serious and have specific questions PM me if you wish, or perhaps you could call Allen Poe at AMK, he's their MAN.

It would be good if they kept their webpage development abreast of their product development. Right now their single front webpage is just a bit lean, which doesn't necessarily lend confidence to a prospective new customer considering making a purchase to last a lifetime from what seems a startup company venture with limited info.

Check out their Facebook page. Scrolling down reveals some telling photos of the exciting engineering and manufacturing progress they're making. Looks like they're getting ready to rock and roll! Now to get it all available on their webpage. :)

13006731_934658579975631_9043218731059049353_n.jpg

12986952_931649233609899_6115644964068933984_n.jpg

Last edited:
Boy, that looks good. It's a manufactured machine made to go to market. It has a great finished look which makes me believe the quality is there without me even trying it.
Frank

This grinder has the best finish I have seen on a production grinder and the tool rest in beautiful. My only concern would be that neither the drive wheel nor the idler wheel appears to be crowned as so many other grinders are. Maybe it's not an issue. Larry

Back