New Northridge Tool Grinder is Here! (Pics added)

Nice! It's interesting how many different options are out there now for grinders. This one should have plenty of power.

Larry both the drive and tracking wheel are crowned it's a low crown but it's there and does a great job of tracking. Thanks George

I hope you're still on track for getting all of your pricing on your webpage for tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to where you guys are going to land in terms of bang for the buck. So far, the price for the base unit looks competitive.

It will be tomorrow or Tuesday morning, I am having a friend do it and I am subject to his schedule. George

We won't have a stand for a few months, we finished the tilting stands Friday but we have to drop off the handle parts to be melonited, we will have complete packages available in 7-8 weeks as soon as our contact wheel molds are done. Thanks George

We won't have a stand for a few months, we finished the tilting stands Friday but we have to drop off the handle parts to be melonited, we will have complete packages available in 7-8 weeks as soon as our contact wheel molds are done. Thanks George

Hey George! I called you a few weeks ago. I think i suggested you join the site!

I had also been wondering about the crowning on the tracking wheel.

lFrwX7J.jpg

fYaMtm8.jpg

KXPUm59.jpg

And my new base is on the way soon! Check this out. I'll have pricing into soon. Its a bit early and they are still waiting for their web guy to launch the new site, but I wanted you guys to have the earliest peek.

I have to say, after spending 18 months on (numerous) 1x30 Harbor Freight grinders, I have been learning over again. But now that I'm starting to get a feel for this beast, I love it. Maybe some day the knives I make will be as sexy as the grinder I'm using now :) The most awesome thing so far is the speed I can remove material when roughing them out. Not just a little difference, but 10x faster. I'm in love again.

Jeff W. Zimba

Jeff, that looks awesome, I am waiting patiently to hear from George, and get the unit with all the features I want ordered! George is a great guy, and he really thinks things through folks, and makes superior products. I think his grinder will be an industry leader--seriously!!!
Good on ya George+++

I'm patiently waiting on this to hit the market as I've been emailing George. It will be my first 2 x 72 variable speed grinder and I think it's going to be worth the wait! It has all the features that should be standard on a knife grinder and looks to be extremely well made and thought out plus competitively marketed. I can't wait! George don't forget to email when it hits production.

This does look like an awesome machine, maybe even too pretty to get dirty....maybe. :rolleyes: I was all ready to pull the trigger on a Pheer 454 until I saw this one. Hopefully George's buddy will have the website updated tomorrow with pricing so I can finally get something ordered. My window is slowly starting to close in....I'll be in Florida for 6 weeks starting about June 1st and I want it delivered to my place there, hopefully by the 2nd week of June, where I plan on setting up shop. That only leaves me about 6 weeks starting today!!

No packages with 1.5hp and vfd....disappointing, but I suppose I should be installing a 220v line in shop anyway. Incomplete options list...still don't know what a contact wheel is going to cost. But we know what a unit will cost if you want to set it up with pulley's???!! Unfortunate, but I'm not going to wait any longer.

I've been making my second 2x72 grinder and I've learned something; no matter which way you cut it, if you want good parts in the grinder it's not going to be cheap. I've built mine using HEAVY 3/16 inch square tubing, it's a beast and it's going to be VERY solid and I also added good quality wheels and a good 2hp motor with a VFD. With all the parts and miscellaneous hardware I'm pushing 650$ right now. That does include 2 tool arms (1 flat platen assembly, 1 small wheel assembly) so it is definitely cheaper than you can buy it but that does NOT include all the hours putting it together. Good, high quality 2x72's are just not cheap, period. Plan on spending a grand at the very least if you want someone else to make and sell you one with a VFD/motor. Just my 2c. The northridge tool grinder looks very nice.

That's a great looking grinder.
It looks like you could buy the chassis and put any 56c motor and vfd you'd want.

That's a great looking grinder.
It looks like you could buy the chassis and put any 56c motor and vfd you'd want.

I'm quite sure thus is the case. He is offering complete machines for nOObs like me. Options for everyone.

Jeff W.Zimba

No packages with 1.5hp and vfd....disappointing, but I suppose I should be installing a 220v line in shop anyway. Incomplete options list...still don't know what a contact wheel is going to cost. But we know what a unit will cost if you want to set it up with pulley's???!! Unfortunate, but I'm not going to wait any longer.
The leeson motor would give 1.5hp at 110, or 2hp at 220.

It is a nice looking grinder, apparently worthy of the price and in line with other competitors like the Pheer 454, AMK 77, Esteem among a few others. I started out thinking I'd buy a Coote with all the options, but soon realized that a tooling arm system was really the way to go. So I had all but settled on the Pheer 454 until this thread came up and I took interest in the Northridge as well. I've been waiting for pricing for a month now, and I still don't know what a doggone simple contact wheel is going to cost. I'm already behind schedule with this purchase, I can't wait any longer....back to plan B.

Tony, as George is a member here now, I would really strongly suggest sending him a message and asking for all the detail answers you want--he will either have them or a time frame for when he will know the scoop. I can tell you that this machine is worth waiting on--I totally get wanting to stick to a self designed schedule of course, but this tool in a shop is so important, I think it is worth the wait to get what will be the best choice, Just IMO--For that and 3$ you can get a Starbucks :)

Back