New Northridge Tool Grinder is Here! (Pics added)

I hear ya Fish. I've been in contact with them a few times over the last couple weeks, mostly through their FB page. Was told I'd have pricing last week, then yesterday, then today, only to find out that we still don't know what most of the options are going to cost, not even a contact wheel. When I get told one thing, and it turns out to be another it wears on my nerves, patient man that I am. I sent them an email this afternoon asking for pricing, haven't heard back, not that I should be a priority or anything. I'm leaving Michigan for Florida in 3-1/2 weeks. I'll be in Florida for 4 or 5 weeks. I need me and the grinder to be in Florida at the same time so I can get things set up before I return to Michigan, and that means basically I need it in 6 weeks latest. So yes, I suppose its a self designed schedule, but one I need to stick to. I'm not even sure at this point if Northridge can have it shipped by then.

Tony

I just sent you a private message with shipping cost its the first chance i have had, as for the contact wheel pricing there's alot that goes into making the molds, i may have launched this a little early but whats done is done, as for the molds, to make a four cavity mold for 10" contact wheels i need to order steel its a pretty big piece, i will be loaded into a mill with a tow motor but before that happens i have to have it ground square it will need the top cover same size made all the runners machined in and thats the simple explanation its alot of work, now i have to buy hundreds of aluminum wheel blanks make jaws for the lathe, write programs buy tooling and lets not forget the lathe cost 250.000.00 Tony i am not trying to be a smartass its just a big undertaking and very expensive and i wont know the pricing till it all washes out when i am done, my goal it to provide the highest quality wheels made with American materials and sell them at a price that will be fair for everyone.

Thank you George

www.northridgetool.com

Welcome aboard Mr. George! This is an awesome community. These folks have been ao helpful, like you. Your grinder is awesome! Almost as awesome as the belt fed machine gun you designed. Almost. :)

Great yo see you here!

Jeff W. Zimba

I headed out to Nothridge today to pick my Mod2 Grinder. All I can say is Chuck was awsome. He took the time to show me how to setup the motor, VFD, and answered all my questions. The machine is beautiful. Hands down they do an excellent job. I can't wait for my belts to come in and try her out. Once they offer the grinder stand, I'll be ordering that, too. Prototype stand looks really good.

CM

Any new information on this machine and contact wheels?? Still no wheels on the site.

Also for anyone who might have one. I see two problems with the grinder az well. One small one not so small. The tension arm is VERY short. I can see that being a pain pushing down for belt tension. The second which is big, is the tension arm PISTON. Definitely something that will fail and fail often due to dirt, dust, and grit.

Also for anyone who might have one. I see two problems with the grinder az well. One small one not so small. The tension arm is VERY short. I can see that being a pain pushing down for belt tension. The second which is big, is the tension arm PISTON. Definitely something that will fail and fail often due to dirt, dust, and grit.

Well everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Well everyone is entitled to an opinion.

It's my opinion from experience!!! I am asking those who may own this particular grinder. Not your peanut gallery comments.

I have one; the tension arm isn't hard to press down. :eek:nthego:

I have one; the tension arm isn't hard to press down. :eek:nthego:

I have to agree. I have one too and amount of force required is fine. I wouldn't hesitate to put a stronger spring on mine if it needed more tension.

The heat shrink is a good idea. I use a bench brush to keep things semi clean also.

Regarding the wheels, there was a FB post showing a machined aluminum wheel sans rubber and bearings on Sept 12.

Last edited:
Many grinders use a piston. I'm not sure it's an issue for most end users or I think we would be more grinders using something else. Regardless, pistons aren't terribly expensive or hard to replace for the life you are likely to get out of them.

Thank you for the info. Definitely looks like a nice machine.

Been using pistons on my grinders for years, never had an issue with grit in them.

Been using pistons on my grinders for years, never had an issue with grit in them.

Good to know. I have seen them fail. Maybe quality? Maintenance, keeping it clean?

Quality maybe. Never cleaned mine. Ones on my horizontal and gets crazy dirty.

It's funny how so many people push away from innovation, because it's new and scary:) Automobiles have used shocks/piston systems for years and seal technology has came a long ways.

Back