new projects photo thread.

okay, this one is in progess. Looks all dusty and stuff because I'm in the middle of 220 grit handle sanding. :D

short blade, fat handle. It's a stead knife, with a bit of extra handle and a fairly short blade.

2010-06-19-0001.jpeg

2010-06-19-0004.jpeg

2010-06-19-0005.jpeg

2010-06-19-0006.jpeg

2010-06-19-0008.jpeg

MAN I need one of these :eek: specs, options price?

I need to order more burgundy. but very very doable.

Faca- probably going to go on the website as a $165-$185 range. There's some wiggle room in specs, blades have been in the 3-4 inch range, generally 1.25 to 1.4 inches broad. I prefer the shorter end of the handle range because the handle style works VERY well as a shorty and is secure- and it's an easy low key carry. But this one works fine with a 5 inch handle, too!

ted: we should chat :D

Brandon: yep! I should have better photos, but Sierra took the knife away for waterforming the sheath.

What are the price ranges for the big blade? I'm really curious about the bolochete and the bush beater.

oh, it's really variable depending on a lot of factors- $240 to $450- which is a LOT of variation!

West Virginia..... hard to say which is better. the bush beater is a heavy, axelike chopping action, and will go through a pig no problem. The bolochete is lighter, but chops fine- it's a different style of chopping. I think it was....needham? ... who mentioned in a review thread that he wasn't sure about the bush beater until he started chopping using the "beater" idea- then it chopped wonderfully.

It's really a matter of preference, weight limits, and style- I'd rather have a bushbeater for harvesting hickory bow staves, but I'd rather carry the bolochete for clearing trails and pasture.

Thats what I needed to hear. I just added a Bolochete to my wish list. Granted its a big list, but I'll get to it sooner or later.

The "Stead" knife is working out wonderfully. I've used it to prep a fire, finish a spoon, bevel the inside of some plastic gas line, and around the place in general.

I've taken a few pics that I'll get around to posting sooner or later. I really like the versatility of the sheath. I've started carrying it horizontally with the end of the handle about at my belt buckle, this is by far my favorite way to carry a knife when outside working.

Thanks alot!

Brandon

Very cool 'chete! Christof, what's the thickness- 1/8"?

As my order comes together- please post some photos! I can't wait for that blade!

Duckworth, I hear you on the Bushbeater! I have a few knives I'm not using that have "sell me and buy a bushbeater" written all over them!

Work in progess. It's an order, but it's going to be a "model". Not sure what to name it, yet.

It's a wester looking medium sized knife. It does have a resemblance to the alaskan, and there's a plenty of reason.

anyway, here it is so far

(pre sanding and stuff)

2010-09-19-0001.jpeg

2010-09-19-0002.jpeg

2010-09-19-0003.jpeg

2010-09-19-0004.jpeg

(post bluing and oiling, just oiling,oiling, bevel polishing and oiling to do before the sheath)

2010-09-19-0007.jpeg

2010-09-19-0009.jpeg

2010-09-19-0011.jpeg

Coming along nicely! The Alaskan hasn't been my type of knife, but I like the size and dimensions of this one.

Any photos kicking around of my 2?? :) ;) Puhleeeaaassseee... :)

Wow! What a handful!

I was imagining a 4" blade, but that in-hand pic really says it all. Looks super useful for big jobs.

yeah, this one is a "large midsize" since the owner has bretty big mitts.

In general around a 5 inch blade, the bushcrafter version will be closer to 4

rpn, I'm working on it. my shop exploded this weekend (this happens. I get organize about once a fortnight and then...... bewm)

Back