New run of 54s

BenjaminRush

Gold Member
Who else is excited for this run? Saw this up at GEC yesterday...

C9834CBD-C8F5-403B-9B33-D8832A0B96D7_zpsxjmvbu4d.jpg

I wish they were doing one in Ebony this run. Since they aren't, the one I think I'm looking forward to is the Muslin Micarta SFO for KSF.

Probably will get this one. The Brazilian Cherry is sort of "just there" for me. It's nice, but it isn't an eye catcher. I have a #23 in Brazilian Cherry.

btb01, if ebony is your top choice I believe there is a SFO that has your name on it. Shoot me a pm if you don't see it on GEC's site.

A #54 from 08 was the first GEC I ever purchased. Really great pattern that offers two of the most popular blade shapes in a nice size package.

I'm lacking in the 4" plus frame with a single blade so I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Hopefully GEC has a few more larger framed runs this year.

If it had a pen blade instead of one of the big blades, I'd be all over it. Or if it was a stockman blade combo. It neither though ...

aside from the DLT trading SFO, there aren't any northfield trim editions this time -- any thoughts on why? is the #54 just that much more suited to the working man's tidioute trim?

I'll admit, I was hoping to see a single blade in clip instead of spear... still, I am excited to pick one of these up

The picture of the new oily creek 54's on GEC's website is impressive. I think the oily creek bone really works well on this frame.

I am very interested to see how the ironwood turns out. Is this first time ironwood has been used on a GEC knife.

The gimp shield on the red river acrylic looks great! And here I told myself no 54s...

I have two DLT SFOs on reserve. Appaloosa and Snakewood. I am psyched to get my hands on those. Single spear. I would be more psyched if there was a clip to choose also.

I would love to get one, but I know I would modify the spear into a sheepsfoot or coping blade.
I like a straight edge and bellied blade combination.

Otherwise it is a nice looking knife. I like the idea of the jigged wood slabs.

I'm very exited about the #54 run. I reserved a jigged wood early on, so I guess I have a Beavertail coming. That works for me. The jigged wood, blade etch, and shield will be very unique in my collection. I always prefer Northfield, but the Beavertail has enough going on with it, that I think it looks great as a Tidioute.

The size is what attracts me most to the 54. I like a hand filling knife with good sized blades. Being truthful, most of my GEC's are a little on the small side for my outdoor needs.

I normally prefer an equal end moose to a jack, probably just because of the old Nessmuk knife/axe combo image from his book. But I'm happy to branch out and try the jack. I do wish it were in 440C though. It rains enough in the Adirondacks that I hesitate carrying a carbon steel folder when I'm camping. I always seem to wake up in the morning, in my tent, to find orange rust and pitting on my blades. But I'll force a dark patina on the blades, and see if they hold up better than my previous efforts.

Nothing wrong with the 54, but I will be using this time to replenish $ spent on 48s so I can get a couple of #66s.

If these had a sheepsfoot or Wharncliffe as a large secondary...I may consider getting one, but I need to keep reminding myself that I don't need one of every pattern, especially if it's not on my top ten list.

Back