New SRK in SK-5 Steel

I just ordered one of these. How could I not? I need to compare it to my 4 existing SRKs, right? *sigh* I might as well start having my paycheck direct deposited into Lynn's bank account. :D

^^You wouldn't happen to have a 3V version by chance? I would appreciate a comparison to the new SK5's if you do.

SK5 vs aus 8. The SK5 version has a hollow grind. Not crazy hollow, but more pronounced than the aus8. I really like the smaller ricasso, but hate the hollow grind. Old problem fixed, new one unnecessarily added :(
vjaIMxt.jpg

Have you guys seen this video of the "Bahco 2449 Curved Wrecking Knife" it`s supposedly SK5 this guy is knocking the knife into a log with the back of an axe.

This video is in Russian skip to 5mins, turn on the English translation for a laugh it gets every word wrong.

John.

Had I not googled images of the srk and mh without the handle I would have ordered the vg1 srk and the sanmai master hunter. The steel doesn't protrude at all into the guard! How can a knife be called "hard use" with a kraton-only guard? The fallkniven s-1 has steel under the guard, f-1 doesn't. I know the handle could be replaced with a guard, but it can be a pain sometimes to get the right parts/materials. I may still order a sanmai MH for $60 and replace the handles. Btw, sk5 is Japanese, carbon V is cold steel's trademark label for whatever high carbon steel they use, whether it's made in china, Taiwan or US

Just for a little clarification on the Carbon V issue:

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=0170-6c

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/Camillus/carbon_v.shtml

"0170-6C(Camillus)
- Originally, Cold Steel was using Sharon Steel 0170-6 steel under Carbon V name. After Sharon Steel went Bankrupt in 1988, and the original steel was(is) still under a patent, new one had to be selected eventually. Modified version, 0170-6C with removed Nickel became the new Carbon V."

The idea that Cold Steel used the Carbon V name on whatever carbon the factory had on hand has been floating around for a long time, but I've seen nothing to back it up. I believe that zknives is probably correct that Carbon V was always 0170-6C, either in the earlier Sharon version or the later Camillus version. :thumbsup:

I haven't seen any other company use the term "carbon V" but I have seen Kabar use sk5 their Taiwan made knives and 1095 cro-van for us made ones. Since that Sharon steel recipe seems the best one for a high carbon steel, I assumed Cold Steel wouldn't have a problem getting it done right in China, which has no problem copying anything.

Had I not googled images of the srk and mh without the handle I would have ordered the vg1 srk and the sanmai master hunter. The steel doesn't protrude at all into the guard! How can a knife be called "hard use" with a kraton-only guard? The fallkniven s-1 has steel under the guard, f-1 doesn't. I know the handle could be replaced with a guard, but it can be a pain sometimes to get the right parts/materials. I may still order a sanmai MH for $60 and replace the handles. Btw, sk5 is Japanese, carbon V is cold steel's trademark label for whatever high carbon steel they use, whether it's made in china, Taiwan or US
:) Those kraton "guards" are mainly to keep the hand from slipping onto the blade and are plenty good enough for that . If you need a guard to catch / stop an opposing blade you wouldn't want this style of guard anyway . I have an old Carbon V SRK that I've abused since the 80's , even used as a throwing knife and the handle has only minor damage from blade contact from other throwers . These are not the toughest handles available but do give a good rubbery grip . :cool:

The SRK in SK5 seems to be out of stock at all the sights I've shopped.
Any idea when the next batch will be available?

I see, isn't the srk marketed as a "seal buds" knife?
Yes. It is issued to (or at least one has been carried by) US Sailors in BUD/S (I have an old VHS copy of some SEAL documentary showing one of the instructors 'sharpening' an SRK on the the cinderblock wall of a building while tossing a candidates room for 'inspection').

I'm guessing your implication is that any knife issued in BUD/S should be a fighting knife, and that you are surprised that the SRK (which is or has been issued to BUD/S candidates and/or SEALs) does not have a more substantial handguard so that it can fill the role of a fighting knife. Simply, it is a utility knife meant to do field expedient utility things (like cut stuff). In general I would wager that your average SEAL has no intention of ever getting into a knife fight, and certainly no intention of getting into a 'fair' knife on knife dueling scenario.

I like integrated guards mostly because they can't be cut off; out of stupidity and boredom, I've cut enough off a plastic guard that it would not snap into the sheath until I had the time and epoxy to repair it. I don't plan on ever being in a fair knife fight either, but ironically the only time I've cut myself deeply enough to cause concern was with a knife with a steel guard.

Just watched a vid on YT, I think it's from Russia, where a guy tests an AUS-8 vs. a SK-5 Recon Tanto. Unfortunately I don't understand the language. The AUS-8 one in this video seems to be tougher (SK-5 snaps, AUS-8 doesn't) which really surprised me. But the testing was by no means scientific, so I don't know if this proofs anything...besides CS AUS-8 being really tough. In other videos I've seen SK-5 seemed to be a really tough steel. Anybody else seen the vid?...it's only a few hours since it has been uploaded

Last edited:
Has anybody seriously used the SK-5 SRK? I didn't get the chance to take mine outdoors yet. How does the steel hold up?

Last edited:
I let a friend use my stripped SK-5 SRK to make s'more sticks last weekend while camping. When I looked at it after I got home, this is what the edge looked like-
esm9bl0.jpg

It looks like he was trying to carve rocks. I'm not blaming CS for this. I have no idea how he did it, but I have seen him do stupid stuff with knives before. The good news is it wasn't too difficult to sharpen out. If it continues to chip out after sharpening out all of the nicks and gouges I'll report back.

I once hit a stone slab that was covered with moss with a 1095 knife...the edge looked pretty much like on your knife. I doubt he only made some sticks with it :-D

Back