New testing vid for the Fell Beast is out!

Huntsman Knife Co.

Gold Member
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Testing went well. NITRO V has great edge stability and is completely stainless. Zero corrosion after leaving wet tree sap on the blade for several days.

I'm going to move forward with 3 steels for this model. 52100 for ultra demanding use and cold weather, NITRO V for swamps, tropics, and costal climates, and 3V just because its awesome. :thumbsup:

After thorough testing I think NITRO V has better edge stability that 52100 but is not as tough. This is especially evident when you break the blades in a vice. After you get past 90-100 degrees NITRO V will break while 52100 will take a permanent bend. This is a tradeoff with stainless and is to be expected.

Both 52100 and NITRO V can handle chopping through nasty material, batoning, repeated flexion, and having the spine beaten with a ball peen hammer and both will have a place at the table until something better comes along.

Great video Hunter !!! I'd like to see a comparison between nitro-v, 52100 and cpm-3v for the Fell Beast (i.e. testing the three steels with the same blade thickness and edge geometry). I'm guessing they would all roll but the 3v wouldn't chip?

Looks great. I'm excited to see what my American Parang can do. I'm not planing on chopping rocks or copper pipe but I'm glad I know I could.

Bad ass video man. I really like how your blades are designed and tested. I'm taking what I learn from you and applying it to my blades. It'll take a few years before I'm at your level! Nitro-v looks like some good steel.

Have tried bending 3v in a vise? Will it take what 52100 does?

Nice video Hunter. I think this kind of vid is important for selling yoru work if your market is users!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I've broken several 3V blades in a vice but they were all done at 62RC and HT for higher carbide formation. Those blades broke into several pieces. I've never done a bend test on a 3V blade HT with the Keffeler protocols for max toughness. When I get the 3V fell beasts in Ill probably put one in the vice for science. My prediction is that it will take a bend and then snap if pushed further.

When I have all 3 steels in at the same time Ill have to do a head to head test and see how the edges fair. Realistically all 3 have such great edge stability that at .025-.030 BTE thickness and 20 degrees per side I don't think you'd ever damage the edge without hitting a rock or similar.

Badass video.. makes me even more excited for my Nitro V Beast!

These look great. We use machetes probably as much or more then any other sharp object. I have never owned a "scandi" type blade shape and edge. Hope to try that out.

Wow. NITRO V is some pretty awesome stuff! Wonder what hardness they went too.
Stainless machetes....brilliant. especially in such a tough steel.

I went with 58-59 RC and had the spines tempered down with induction. The edge stability on this stuff is really top notch.

After some work with it, I can affirm that it does have fantastic edge stability! And Colin from Shannon Steel labs knows I am very hard on my blades! The Fell Beast is holding up very well. I am hoping you come out with the 12 inch nitro V machete, I will be all over that!!

After some work with it, I can affirm that it does have fantastic edge stability! And Colin from Shannon Steel labs knows I am very hard on my blades! The Fell Beast is holding up very well. I am hoping you come out with the 12 inch nitro V machete, I will be all over that!!

The next run is going to be .135 s7 but I will be doing nitro V again in the future. I really like how it performs and it's a dream to grind. The new run will be a little bit bulkier and the extra weight will really up the chopping power. Not to mention they will be almost indestructible.

The S7 ones do sound great. I'm glad you were able to source some that thin! I think it will be great for a machete and Peter's S7 heat treat is very good.

Back