New to Blades on Long Island

First in ALL N Y STATE any knife that can be flicked open is considered a illegal gravity knife. I am sure both of these can be. Second a knife designed to be a weapon by design CAN be considered a dangerous knife. The law is not enforced as strictly in Nassau and Suffolk, but it can be, and with many former NYPD officers leaving the City for those departments, the law has been enforced more than before in Long Island.

Look at the law. Most knife arrest are under 265.01, but if you have a conviction for ANY prior crime it can be moved to 265.02. 265.00 is the definition section.

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm

Was under the impression that folders with the correct blade length were legal carry. Actually use the Dart at work occasionally.
Thanks for the education and the link, tom.

Last edited:
One last question- What WOULD be considered acceptable for carrying? Or are all blades now more likely to be considered a 'dangerous knife' on L.I.?
Even a Leatherman? Or the rescue folders with seatbelt cutters, etc.

A pocket knife that can not be flicked open is OK. The 4" rule in a NYC Admin Code, but it is safer to carry a blade 4" or less. As long as a blade does not look as it's primary design is a weapon ( tanto, dagger, type blades), Then there is less chance of it being deemed a dangerous knife. You must never state you carry a knife as a weapon. I always try not to say a knife is legal as there are always those officers that will feel it is illegal.....That is the main issue that once an officer charges you with a knife violation, it is very hard to chnage the path of the charge in court. They will offer many lesser ways of dealing with the charge but rarely out right dismiss it.

Again, just to clarify- if the knife can't be flicked open from the completely closed/folded position (ie: the stud has to be used first to begin opening), is not intended as a combat weapon and is under 4" -should be ok?
Thanks for your patience.
Thanks.

Dan that is correct BUT as I said there are officers that will hold the blade and flick the handle open and the courts have upheld that...think Spyderco Spydie drop. That said a tight non flickable knife ( there are ones made with half stops that can't be flicked and some Sod Buster type liner locks that are too stiff to flick open) should be fine. Of course non locking knives are OK too.

NYC has the 4" length law, and Nassau and Suffolk don't ( from what I can find), but officers seem to think there is some sort of magic four finger or palm check. There is no such rule but that doesn't stop cops from using that method......

Back