Newbie Intro, new grinder setup

Hello All, recently got bit by the knifemaking bug as a hobby, live in Knoxville. Have a busy work and family life, so don't have lots of time. Have made 1 finished knife so far 4 more in process, will post pic a bit later. I don't plan to get into the business, just as gifts for friends and family. I heat treated my first one in a charcoal starter with the help of a leaf blower ;-), but have recently picked up a brake drum I might make into a simple forge.

Have a few tools in my garage, decent bandsaw, tablesaw, bench drill press, ect, normal stuff. Have a 1x30 HF, but that is "not cutting it" so to say, and ready to step up for a better quality grind but also to save time. So, I recently bit the bullet and ordered a Oregon Blade Maker with 5" wheel, and just ordered a KBAC-24D VFD: http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/9987-KBAC-24D/
and a 1.5Hp Ironhorse 3p:https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...Phase_Motors,_56C_(0.33_-_3HP)/MTRP-1P5-3BD36

I have both 110, and 220 in my garage, but the 220 is way in the corner not near my bench, so not sure which I will use as input. I like the flexibility of the KBAC-24D although limited in HP. I hope I made the right choice for my use, after doing some reading. the 27D was more expensive.
question: If I use the 220 input, will I get 1 HP or 1.5Hp output @ motor? If I use the 110 input will I get 1hp?
I will do some more research before I hook everything up, but any advice let me know, I would love to know more and take any advice or pointing to other resources, admit I'm electrically challenged ;-)

Well, I just realized I might have made a mistake. That VFD is rated at 1hp. It says it is rated at 3.6 amp output at 230V, and that specific motor is rated @ spec sheet at 4.0 Amp at 230V. To those in the know, is this a big problem?

The motor draws amperage based on the load. You don't want a motor that can draw more amperage than the vfd can supply.

Well thanks much guys, I was afraid of that. I guess my main options are:
1. return the Vfd and spend extra $135 for the kbac-27d
2. Return the motor and get a 1hp version, net ~same after return shipping. But would it have enough power for my hobby needs?
3. Do a cheaper Vfd in a box with the 1.5hp motor

Advice anyone?

Since you already have both, i'd return the VFD and get the KBAC-27. I just got a KBAC-29 and 3hp iron horse and am LOVING it!!!. I think you'll be happier in the long run with the extra power. but that is just me spending your money... :cool:

well I just call electric motor wholesale where I ordered the VFD and the return will cost me 15% restock fee. not deal killer I guess, just kinda irritating.

Get the better vfd. That way if you decide to want a higher horsepower motor down the road, you are good to go.

If you can afford it, get the 27D or 29D. I have the 24D running a 1hp motor and I am very happy with it. BUT you can never have too much HP. II will say the only time it comes close to stalling, is if I am really pushing hard on the flat platen with an old belt (basically profiling a blank).

Thanks much guys for all of the advice. I went ahead and just ordered the 27D, will return the 24D after it arrives.

Got everything in and starting to put everything together. One more question: my 220 outlet is 30 feet from where my grinder will be so will need to make a long high voltage extension cord. Is there any real advantage to using 220v input with this particular combo setup? The kbac27 says max output on 110v is 1.5hp, which is what I have and a 110v outlet is closer. Would just be easier if 110 is fine.

Truth is running 220 is less expensive you're drawing half the amperage which is one of the big reasons for running machinery on 220v.

Not exactly true on the above statement. Yes it draws half the amps and can use smaller wire, breakers etc but it's still using half the amps PER LEG! You are still using the same electric as per say as far as your electric bill.

Not quite sure how you'd figure that?
Your bill is determined by watts not amps. The wattage is the same no matter what voltage it's ran on
The reason for higher voltage is for reduced current draw, yes. But that's so you can run smaller wires.

watts and amps are pretty much intertwined according to electrical theory and ohms law. If your using 1500 watts on a single leg of single phase it's using 1500 watts on one LEG . So in simple terms without counting efficiency a load of 20 amps on 120v single phase draws 20amps on ONE leg. If you convert to 240v it draws 10 amps PER LEG! No cost savings as far as your electric bill. Is it more efficient, YES but you will still be paying the same amount on your electric bill.

Last edited:
That's essentially what I was trying to say. 10 amps at 240 and 20 amps at 120 will be the same wattage, and cost you the same amount.
Motors do tend to run better on 240 though, and you can feel a noticeable difference, especially on tablesaws

Sorry to say but NO. You are right in saying that motors tend to run better at 240. But assuming it saves you money as far as "wattage" "amps" is not true.

Correct! Same on the electrical bill. Nothing you can do about that. But the efficiency assures you are getting max power from your grinder. Get an extension & run it on the 220.

Here is the grinder and motor attached to a portable base of mdf. I still have to wire the motor and vfd up.

Thanks for all of the replies, but if the kbac-27d VFD output is 1.5hp (max) with 110v, and I have a 1.5hp 3p Ironhorse, is there any real advantage to using 220v as an input to the VFD?

below is the first knife I made, used 1095. Didn't make it perfect, but learned a lot with the first one (also appreciation for how much work and how long it takes to make one!).

Back