Newbie Intro, new grinder setup

" ... if the kbac-27d VFD output is 1.5hp (max) with 110v, and I have a 1.5hp 3p Ironhorse, is there any real advantage to using 220v as an input to the VFD? ..."

Yes, Using 22o will provide better output from the VFD. The VFD is an electronic device, and not the same as the discussion of 110 vs 220 on motors. You will pop the Buss fuses in the VFD more often on 110 than 220, and the output to the motor may be reduced. On a belt grinder , always run a VFD on 220 if it is available.

As a general rule, 220 is the best choice for equipment. You will see very little industrial equipment that is set up to run on 110 unless it is a small power device.

with your setup, with 220vac you can use a 12 gauge extension cord. with 120vac, you could get by with 10 gauge, but 8 gauge would be better. 110vac would require a 25 amp breaker while 220vac would use a 20 amp breaker. go to pages 14 and 19-24 of owner's manual. pay attention on page 23 on how to hook up 120 or 220.

Is 3p a model # or does it indicate 3 phase? If it is in fact a 3 phase motor it will not run on either 120 or 240 volts single phase which is the common voltage for a home or home shop. I did a quick check of Iron Horse motors and they seem to advertise a lot of 3 phase motors so I'm not sure you have the proper electrical service for your motor.

Is 3p a model # or does it indicate 3 phase? If it is in fact a 3 phase motor it will not run on either 120 or 240 volts single phase which is the common voltage for a home or home shop. I did a quick check of Iron Horse motors and they seem to advertise a lot of 3 phase motors so I'm not sure you have the proper electrical service for your motor.

That's why he has a vfd. Single phase in, 3 phase out.

Thanks to all, will go with a 25-30 foot 12 ga wire (maybe 12ga extension cord wire) with 220v as input to the VFD. Yes the motor I ordered is 3 phase.

For the VFD to motor, they didn't have any 16/4 at my local HD or Lowes so I ordered 20' of SOOW 16/4 wire from automation direct, shipped for @ $22 with 2 day delivery ($16 wire, $6 shipping). That is where I ordered my motor, automation direct is fast and efficient.

I guess I need to do some more studying. I am not familiar with a VFD and thought it was to allow one to vary motor speed. I never thought about converting single phase to 3 phase.

Joe_N,
a vfd's main use in knife grinding is to vary motor speed, but to do that you need to use a 3 phase motor.

You will be a lot happier on 220. I ran my belt grinder on 110 for a LONG time and once I switched to 220 I smacked my self for not doing it sooner. The thing with 220 vs 110 is that 220 should only have one outlet on that breaker where 110 can have a bunch. This means other things can steal power from your grinder if your using a normal 110 outlet. Lots of people have added lights around there grinder or radio or EXC. so amps quickly add up and befor you know it your popping the breaker when you really lean on the grinder. That was happening to me quite a bit befor I switched. I don't have any proof of this but I would think the VFD would last longer converting 220 into 220 3phase then converting 110 into 220 3phase. Good luck, the grinder looks real nice

HELP! I hope i didn't just fry my vfd!!
well i wired everything up this morning, and thought i was very careful, following instructions to the letter.

When i went to plug the 220 plug into the wall, i got a Flash POOF when i just started to push it in, and black smoke shot out the bottom of the plug at the wall! i immediately pulled it out. The breaker didn't trip. I used this outlet just last weekend on my table saw, and was fine.

IT appears the ground wire blew apart inside the plug.

my power cord is 30 feet of 12/3, the breaker is 30 amps, which is too high i know but what was in there.
the cord from motor to vfd is 16/4. i wired the motor just like the instructions.

Please help if any idea what I've done wrong or what to look for, god help me i hope i didn't fry the vfd.

more info. It clearly appears the ground wire blew apart right where it was likely touching one of the hot leads in the plug. Not sure what did this, possibly a kink or bare spot there, but who knows. Looking online it appears the 12 gauge wire is not big enough for a 30amp breaker which may have contributed to the issue? I have been using a short 12g extension though this outlet no problem with my table saw though.

I am going to get a 20 amp breaker, which is what i should have had from the beginning, and rewire another plug (carefully).

I hope it did not fry the vfd, i don't see anything suspicious looking there, but guess will find out soon.

If any other ideas or thoughts, or things to look for, please let me know!

In your picture which is power in and which is out?

The more I look at it, I am suspecting that when I screwed the 220 plug back together I could have mashed the ground wire against one of the hot leads. I remember it was harder to screw together than the last time

Great news!!! It works! It was a pinched wire in the plug, vfd seems to work fine!
Got the 20amp breaker in too.

I am so happy with my grinder and vfd setup. I am very impressed with the precision and control, and speed at which you can shape metal with this setup, esp compared to my 1x30 HF sander. I'm also surprised at the lack of dust, had a bowl of water right under it, and most went in there. And, for sure the variable speed is definitely worth it. This setup will save me a lot of time and help me make better knives. Thanks!

I had a few of these already rough shaped, but this morning completed a few and think I'm ready for heat treat. Thanks again for your advice!

Back