Newest Frontier Powder Horns

NOS Frontier Powder Horn 4421 (a Texas Jack pattern) shown with an old pair of CASE scissors.

Frontier%204421%20amp%20CASE%20Scissors_zpsdsg1fz7q.jpg

just thought i would add my newest one. think the powder horn on the side is very nice looking on these knives.

Attachments

• Frontier 4621 01.jpg
    Frontier 4621 01.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Frontier 4621 03.jpg
    Frontier 4621 03.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Frontier 4621 02.jpg
    Frontier 4621 02.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 8
Were those 44 knives made by Schrade?
They look like Buck 301 main blades made by Camillus.

The Imperial Frontiers with the Powderhorn tang stamp were made under contract by Camillus, which was under the control of Mr. Baer of Schrade fame from 1975 to 1984.

all of the 'Powderhorn' Frontiers were made by Camillus

or those of you not familiar with the Schrade/Camillus connection:

1876: Predecessor to Camillus Knife Company founded by 20 year old Adolph Kastor on Canal Street in New York City as Adolph Kastor & Bros., an importer. The Dingly tariff act of 1879 made importing knives too expensive.

1902: The Camillus NY., factory owned by Charles Sherwood with 20 employees turning out 15 patterns of penknives, was bought by Adolph Kastor, a former importer of German knives, and renamed Camillus Cutlery Company. Eight years after Kastor took the helm of the company, production numbers reached 902,976 knives.

1910: Camillus Knife Company had 200 employees and was producing over 900,000 knives per year. Many German cutlers came to the company and Camillus built a dormitory for them and assisted them in bringing their families to the US if they proved to be good and productive workers.

1914: Camillus Cutlery began making military knives for British, Canadian, and U.S. Navies, the Red Cross, and for the Dutch. German foreman Carl Tillman and his crew quit in protest in 1915.

1916: Camillus, during World War One supplied over 470,000 knives to the US, Canada, England and Holland. These included such diverse items as marlin spike knives, surgical scalpels, and a folding knife/spoon combination for the Red Cross to distribute to US troops.

1922: Albert M. Baer, grandson of Henry Bodenheim,(J. J. H. Hill, Bodenheim, Meyer & Co., 149 Duane and 9 Thomas street, New York) went to work for Adolph Kastor at Kastor Bros., as a salesman when he was 16.

1923: Camillus salesman Albert Baer, 17, acquires the Sears Roebuck & CO., account. Camillus uses Sta-Sharp, Dunlap, and Kwik-Kut brands on Sears knives.

1930: Albert Baer signed George Herman ‘Babe’ Ruth to endorse autographed baseball bat figural knife for Camillus, first of many endorsemants.

1932: August Kastor retired from Camillus and sold his shares in Kastor Bros. To Albert Baer.

1936:Camillus adds Stream Line, Camco, Syracuse Knife Co., Mumbly Peg, and High Carbon Steel U.S.A> trademarks. Camillus becomes the leading U.S. supplier of private brand knives.

1938. Albert Baer leaves Kastor Bros. but retains a major stake in the firm, acquired from August Kastor..

1947. Kastor Bros. name is finally dropped in favor of Camillus. Camillus began to manufacture a full line of official folding knives for the Boy Scouts of America.

1963. Death of Alfred Kastor. Ownership of Camillus passes to Albert M. Baer's two daughters

This thread has been around a while and time to bring it forward. I got a couple more Frontiers cleaned up and in the box they go. A 4132 3 1/4" Square Bolster Stockman and a 4712 3" Lock-back. I am now up to 132 Frontiers but still missing a few models. There were 60 models made 52 folding and 8 fixed bladed. I only have two fixed bladed. I am missing 6 folding models. I am including the three models of the All-American series and the six models of the Diamondbrite P series. I am including a picture of the three boxes of Frontiers.

Boxes of Frontiers

Nice collection edbeau.

The large folding hunter powder horn on its side in the top right box really catches my eye.

Thank You

Took a long time to get that one. It is a 4621 5 1/4" Folding Hunter in Powderhorn stag (delrin). Still missing a single blade version 4611 of that series.

I have suffered the same fate as many have with Photobucket. Here is my latest picture of my Frontiers again.

xbC5ERN.jpg

Since all my pictures will not show. I need to put them back on the forum. The yellow scaled Frontiers only were made in 1976. That makes finding them a bit hard.

KVQqr2t.jpg

Great display edbeau of the Yellow Horns.

If you ever get a chance to line them up I'd love to see your hunter size collection of Frontiers together.

Okay FatCity67 and others, I am back! As I said before, I am missing folding hunter 4611. I do have (in number order) 4615 wood, 4621 stag, 4622 white, 4624 black and 4625 wood. One wood one I have has a 4624 main blade (bad day at work).
I hope Larry sees these photos as he helped me a lot as I started collecting Frontiers. Thanks, Larry.

In number order
twY0vTP.jpg

All I have
2D1fHh4.jpg

Different wood scaled models
WAGas9X.jpg

Stag
OucpP7m.jpg

Thought I would post a couple of pictures of what the 4621 looked like when I bought it.

zBh3fQd.jpg

Agp5wMs.jpg

Back