News & Announcements: 940-1701 Going Gear Exclusive

hold on, g10, ctek and 20cv for the same price as a 940-1 which is carbon fiber and s90v... lol who does the pricing at benchmade in 2017?

If RamZar is right on it being $238, that's $30 cheaper than the 940-1. Those are $268 from dealers.

Going Gear is selling the Benchmade 940-1701 for $240 which is 14.3% off MSRP. According to their website, they're supposed to get a lot more back in stock in late May.

For reference here are street pricing of some in the 940 series:
  • 940-1 (S90V, CF): $263.50
  • 940-1601 (D2, CF/Wood Bolsters): $249.99 (Cabelas exclusive - still in stock)
  • 940-1701 (20CV, G-10/C-Tek): $240.00 (Going Gear exclusive - back in stock)
  • 940-1501 (20CV, G-10): $199.95 (KnifeWorks exclusive - still in stock)
  • 940 (S30V, AL): $182.75
  • 940-2 (S30V, G-10): $170.00

Well, to put a price on the C-Tek alone, before this you would have had to go the custom grip route for $80-100+. At least this way if there is a weakness or problem with the grips it will be covered under warranty.

I'm trying to not like it.
I like it.
Finally some place ~useful to put the mandatory DLC (keep it off my blades please).
Could be my first 940.
I would be pleasantly surprised if I don't want to grind the blade thickness in the tip area thinner.
Any chance this has already been taken care of ?

Keep up the good work !

sorry I just saw the photo that said msrp was $280. not so bad now at $238... just hope f&f is better than the 940-1

Really was all in on the 940-1501 but Keep coming back to the contouring on this model. Although I prefer the lines and look of the blue/black G10 and I'm not a fan of red, the attention to detail re: the contoured handles has my attention.

Going Gear is selling the Benchmade 940-1701 for $240 which is 14.3% off MSRP. According to their website, they're supposed to get a lot more back in stock in late May.

250 are supposed to be shipping to us on May 25. We weren't supposed to get our first units until early July, so hopefully we see them before the 25th.

I love the C-Tek on this knife. It has been too long!

If the USPS is on time tomorrow is the day mine shows up. I am really looking forward to seeing this.

I am kind of irritated at this whole process. I live down the road from GG and I called them Friday and was told they were in and wouldn't be released to the public until Monday. I even asked specifically if they would be released Saturday and was told no. So I missed out on this because I was told one thing and then they ended up doing something else the next morning.

1st world rant over.

My new knife arrived today. I like it. I have a 940-1 and the Cabela's 940-1601. This feels much different in hand. My other 940's have much flatter sides. The 940-1701 has rounded off edges so it feels a lot different in hand. Not good or bad, just different. The blade is centered and the grind looks great to me. I don't see a bur on it. The blade won't drop freely which is a requirement. A quick turn of the torx and I will add a little Loctite for good measure. I like my new knife a lot.

w5RlGK9.jpg

rX8bvZo.jpg

Just got mine. Blade came centered, smooth action, great quality overall. The liners are DLC (definitely not parkurized) coated and the C-Tek inlays are held on by the body screws, so installing custom inlays would be pretty easy.

I am kind of irritated at this whole process. I live down the road from GG and I called them Friday and was told they were in and wouldn't be released to the public until Monday. I even asked specifically if they would be released Saturday and was told no. So I missed out on this because I was told one thing and then they ended up doing something else the next morning.

1st world rant over.

Sorry about that. We weren't actually planning on releasing them until Monday, but Benchmade themselves posted this thread and kind of forced our hand. :)

Our next shipment should have more than enough for everyone.

I like it, well most of it.
I can't tell if it'll that is a standard shape for the thumb stud, but that is such a minor quibble, that it isn't worth dwelling on or swaying a decision.

It would Ultimately come down to whether I wanted the ctek inlay for $50+ over the -9501.
I think I just might.

ETA: The inlays being screw mounted also means that I can make my own inlays from dyed and stabilized woods, Mother of Pearl, Carbon Fiber, et al, of my choice.

Last edited:
I'm a big 940 series fan, but those scales do absolutely nothing for me. In fact, I think they are horrible. Purely subjective. I really like the new eye-blindingly blue 890. Go figure. Of course, it is a bit overpriced for 154cm...

Don't get all mad, though. A 943 is going to be my next knife purchase.

That's just a little rounded insert in the g10 scales. I guess that's cool, but so is getting custom scales done.

Back