Next progect:

Slapped it on the bandsaw last night. Took it back down to just the steel. Starting over...

Correct I think the wood was not dry. But I also think using end grain wood is a big factor in it cracking. With end grain there is a good chance the wood will crack even if the wood is dry.

Ok, still a work in progress, but here's a little taste...

My new handle material,... Pasture Wood!

277AAHt.jpg

Still got to put the finishing touches on it. Got quite a few mistakes on it, for this knife was only touched by my hands this time. (my true first) I know quite a few things NOT to do next time now.

I like the shape you're going with, shame about the last set of scales. What is Pasture Wood? Did you get it locally?

:D
Well that's about as local and home made as you can get!
Where are you located at?

Yes, I've heard of it. We go to Wister and Cedar Lake alot. I retired from DPS, and been in that area as well working. Yes, I'm in the Moore/OKC area now, moved here after getting out of the army. Originally out of Arapaho, west part of the state.

I finished my pasture wood knife.

My actual first knife that no other hands touched through the process. Some mistakes of course, but I know what not to do next time!

Last edited:
OT:
Back in the 1970's, my best friend was going into the Air Force. We were throwing him a big party, and asked him what kind of stuff he wanted. He replied, "Any kind if shi! is OK with me." I passed the word, and he received lovely wrapped boxes of dog, cat, goat, sheep, and horse shi!. I gave the caretaker at our zoo a shoebox and $20 for two elephant turds. I dried them in silica gel and impregnated them with clear-cast. He had them for years ... maybe he still does. Oh, we also gave him a gift certificate to the local uniform shop, so he could get his shi! together.

OT:
Back in the 1970's, my best friend was going into the Air Force. We were throwing him a big party, and asked him what kind of stuff he wanted. He replied, "Any kind if shi! is OK with me." I passed the word, and he received lovely wrapped boxes of dog, cat, goat, sheep, and horse shi!. I gave the caretaker at our zoo a shoebox and $20 for two elephant turds. I dried them in silica gel and impregnated them with clear-cast. He had them for years ... maybe he still does. Oh, we also gave him a gift certificate to the local uniform shop, so he could get his shi! together.

Oh, man that's awesome.

Stacy, that must have been one heck of a party.
Want to repeat Stacy's thoughts; never ever, ever, use end grain for a knife handle, it just doesn't work.
Knife looks good.

Back