Non-Knife People

so ive been wearing my new izula at work (im a mechanic) and using it alot lately and alot of co-workers have noticed it and asked to check it out. of course im very proud of my knife and like to show it off so i hand it to them and always say "be careful its realllllllly sharp!!!" so whats their first reaction? to use their thumb and run it across the blade to see what my definition of sharp is! lol, usually it cuts so easily they dont even realize it and they press harder and find out that its been ripping their flesh apart :p i ask them why they did that, i told you it was super sharp! and they always say "ive had sharp knives but never anything like this!" lol, the first guy i showed how i could shave with it tried to shave himself and he noticed a small white thing fly off his arm... turns out it was a piece of skin and he started bleeding :eek: oops!

Haaaaaa the same thing happened to a older co worker of mine when I handed him a military ti. I think its like an old guy way of testing sharpness .

I like to tell people who have just cut themselves with their knife that you don't really own a knife until you cut yourself with it. :D

i knew i took a picture! lol heres my co-workers first izula experience

cf9dc0ab.jpg

Oh that's nothing , this guy sliced his finger badddd. if he had insurance I'm sure he woulds went to hospital

I've stopped letting non-knife people handle my wares. Guy at work asked to look at my knife a while back and ran his finger DOWN the length of the blade. Yes he got cut. Idiot.

I just dont understand how people can be so dumb!:grumpy: What part of "it is sharp" dont they get?:confused: If these people do have knives i bet they can even butter my bread with the dull garbage they roll with!

My dad took me up on the "my new knife (ESEE-6) is shaving sharp. Really, try it out."
Slides it the length of his forearm, and as he lifts it up, realizes he made a fillet out of the back of his arm :eek:
After we bandaged him up (the cut wasn't too deep, just the tip sliced him all the way along his arm), he used the 6 all night long in the kitchen. At one point we hung a chunk of fillet mignon (my dad does great fillet mignon on the grill-damn is it good) over the serving platter and tried out some slicing. The 6 went right through it in quick slashes, really looked quite badass. This is of course even after using the 6 exclusively in the kitchen with many citrus-y foods, cutting a lot of meat and veggies, cotton twine, syran wrap, cardboard, several loaves of bread, and shaving my dad's other arm, sans fillet that time.
Now he loves his ESEE's ;)

I sharpen knives for people. I always warn them to be careful, it's sharp. Some folks scare me with the way they check sharpness. They run their thumb along the edge rather than feel it across. Naturally, they cut themselves.

I have always run my thumb along the edge but I have been doing it for along time. Taking it across the edge doesn't tell me a damn thing. Running my thumb along the edge you can feel it want to pull into your thumb. As soon as you feel that you stop. I do a lot of knife sharpening for friends and family and myself so I know what I am doing. I have had friends try to copy me in doing that with some of my personal knives or knives I have sharpened for them and regret it.

arr the old running the thumb down the blade trick, some peoples stupidity never ceases to amaze me, and the look on there face after theyve cut themselves, its like they cant quite understand how it happened.

I dont show non knife people my knives anymore, Im sick of having to get the med kit out of the car, even warnings like "its scary sharp" dont seem to sink in.

its good that the people at your work dont mind you having a knife tho

Cool story. Maybe you made a convert.

A lot of folk's experience with knives never evolve past their grandfather's gentleman's folder so they have no idea what a good, "scary sharp" knife really is. I was that way for a good part of my life until buying a new Spydie several years ago. Suddenly I became obsessed with "sharp".

My Father was a butcher and I learned very early what sharp is. I sharpen knives for people also, but depending on who it is I sharpen to different levels. I even have "my knives" in the kitchen that I don't even let my wife use. The knives I carry don't get used by others, but I'm happy to cut things for them.

I don't let anyone use, or handle my knives any more. After they cut themselves, they use it as a screwdriver, prybar, or hammer it through a chunk of steel wire. "well, it's supposed to be super steel, isn't it?":eek:

EarlFH

Happened to me once. I used to carry a Buck 110 at a place I worked at a life time ago. A guy asked to borrow it and I told him to be careful it's very sharp. 10Min. later he comes back holding his hand up with blood running down his forearm and dripping from his elbow. "You didn't say it was THAT sharp". I LoLd.

My dad always said "A knife is a tool, for it to work effectively it needs to be sharp and kept sharp. If it's not sharp...it's just a piece of steel with a handle on it".
Words I've lived by.

Back