Non-metal wedding rings?

BMCGear

Gold Member
Anyone have long term experience with wedding bands that aren't made of metal? I don't like wearing a ring and my wife wants me to so I was thinking about something like a Qalo ring?

I've never even wore a ring, but I think a carbon fiber ring would be sweet

A friend of mine has one, and he is very happy with it. His is plain black, and at first glance I thought it was a satin metal ring.

I am tempted to get one, as my ring can chew up my hand when I am working outdoors chopping stuff.

I know of a few people that wear ceramic wedding bands. Which are great if you have to wear gloves or have a possibility of having something crush your hand/fingers.

I personally have a custom made Titanium wedding band. I am not worried about my ring crushing my finger, since I sit at a desk daily. If I ever had to go in the field and wear gloves, I will remove the ring.

TiSurvival-Titanium-Wedding-Ring--133510_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
I know you said non metal but I am not sure of your reasoning? If you just want something different, I have worn my titanium wedding band for 5 years now and am very pleased. It is light weight, simple, comfortable and inexpensive. I wear it 24/7 and about once a year I polish it a little with the dremel and it looks good as new! You should really look into titanium if you want a less traditional ring that is still great. I ordered mine online, but I am not sure what company it was. You basically inquire with them and they send you a sizing gauge so you can tell them exactly what size you need.Good Luck
Bruce

I've been wearing a Qalo since they were released and I love it. It's very durable and I forget that I am wearing it. They run about a half size smaller in my experience.

I know you said non metal but I am not sure of your reasoning? If you just want something different, I have worn my titanium wedding band for 5 years now and am very pleased. It is light weight, simple, comfortable and inexpensive. I wear it 24/7 and about once a year I polish it a little with the dremel and it looks good as new! You should really look into titanium if you want a less traditional ring that is still great. I ordered mine online, but I am not sure what company it was. You basically inquire with them and they send you a sizing gauge so you can tell them exactly what size you need.Good Luck
Bruce

I have titanium and tungsten. I want to wear something that feels like it's not there.

The dangers of wearing a ring around machinery is still there metalor non-metal. Do a search of the forum

The dangers of wearing a ring around machinery is still there metalor non-metal. Do a search of the forum

This isn't for that. It's for "I don't like wearing jewelry and want something that I don't notice on my finger without getting a tattoo." :)

This isn't for that. It's for "I don't like wearing jewelry and want something that I don't notice on my finger without getting a tattoo." :)

I had to look up Qalo rings, new to me. I think I see what you're getting at.

Besides Qalo, there are ceramic rings.

Ceramic-ring-CBCR0248-1-500x500.jpg

There are semi-precious stone rings (this one is jade).

996831_fpx.tif

There are amber rings.

age-of-amber-faceted-solid-slice-geometric-ring%257E112706_089.jpg

I could go on. They all have one thing in common: they are bulkier than metal rings. If you want something you won't notice on your finger, get metal. That's why people began wearing metal five thousand years ago.

This is one I picked for myself.
2007BM1055_jpg_ds.jpg

15th century poesy ring in the Victoria and Albert Museum, Jewellery, Rooms 91 to 93, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery, case 6, shelf B, box 3. My ring is a cheap sterling silver knockoff. The inscription "Vous et nul autre" is 15th century French for "You and no other." During the European Renaissance, a poesy ring was a popular inexpensive gift to someone of romantic interest. Shakespeare thought it was cheap romantic kitsch.

Prologue

For us, and for our tragedy,
Here stooping to your clemency,
We beg your hearing patiently.

[Exit]

HAMLET

Is this a prologue, or the posy of a ring?

OPHELIA

'Tis brief, my lord.

HAMLET

As woman's love.

This one made my wife happy, which was its intended purpose. If you choose gold, I recommend 14k. 18k is too soft for a ring.

Last edited:
Google Hematite rings and check images. They're made out of Iron Oxide.

Just as a benchmark, I've worn a plain gold ring for almost 32 years. After a couple of months of wearing any ring, you don't notice it. You will notice any ring you put on your finger for a couple of months, then it's just there and you won't notice it. So get what you want, but IMO you don't have to wear a rubber ring for it to not be noticeable to you on your hand.

I switched from primarily wearing a tungsten ring to a Qalo about a year ago. At the time it was more noticeable to me than the metal ring. I love my Qalo and get tons of complimentsand qquestions, but it will still feel weird on your finger until you get used to it.

I've never even wore a ring, but I think a carbon fiber ring would be sweet

Carbon fiber is extremely irritating to the skin. I made a carbonfiber bracelet for my girlfriend and it was unbearable to ware after a while.

Native American jewelry is great if you can afford the best. But if you want a peaceful life at home, do not get a wedding ring with snakes. Take my word for it — some day you'll thank me!

IMG_9260.jpg

Another vote for Titanium here. I know it's metal but I sold the heavy gold ring and bought a ti one maybe five years ago. Like others have mentioned after a couple weeks you stop noticing it. Get one that fits right and never take it off.

Grizz

My wife and I got saferingz too. I think mine might have stretched a tiny bit in the 9 mos I've worn it so far, but it's very comfortable.

It seems the two main sellers of silicone wedding rings are QALO and SafeRngz. If you look at their websites, you'll see that QALO markets to mountain bikers, climbers, and other outdoor folk. Their rings look like silicone rings, with no attempt to look like a traditional metal wedding band. The QALO's are about $20. SafeRingz marketing is directed toward military, law enforcement and firemen. They also offer rings that look like the silicone rings that they are, but also offer rings that are intended to look like traditional metal bands (and they do it very well.) The SafeRingz are half the price of the QALOs. Not sure of the shipping for the QALOs, but the Saferingz shipping was only $2 for the two rings I ordered.

I originally ordered two "platinum" Saferingz, but mistakenly ordered the wrong size. For the day that we had them (before returning for exchange) I was so impressed with how "real" they looked, that I also ordered a ring in "gun metal." It arrived today. It is by far the most comfortable ring I've ever worn. It also looks darn good. I'd post pics, but it truly looks just like the pictures from the SafeRingz website. I suppose that if you look really close that maybe you could see that it's not a metal rings, but I've never felt the need to show off my wedding ring to my friends. :)

No one ever commented on my original wedding ring. No one ever commented on the titanium ring that replaced it. I don't expect anyone to notice or comment on my silicone SafeRingz. For ten bucks, I'm very happy.

Back