Not enough love for the Gayle Bradley 2

A compression lock would be a huge improvement.
A compression lock is certainly easier to close. The one down side is the cut out for the lock release can be a hot spot when really pushing hard to cut something. My GB2 is more comfortable to cut with than my PM2 for this reason. The PM2 is more fun to play with but be the GB2 is more comfortable for me when cutting.

I may enlarge the cutout for the lock release as others have done just to make it easier to close.

I have both and the GB took little getting use to because of the sharp jumping on the release.
600 grit paper resolved it.

Things I like about it. Blade shape and stronger tip.

Well I finally ordered one tonight after threatening for awhile. All the birthday, Mother's Day and graduation gifts have been taken care of so I bought something for myself.

Last edited:
^^^ I've seen one GB2 that the blade was DLC coated. It was actually very nicely done and that may resolve your concerns. The M4 is really worth trying out, and the GB2 is a great platform to try it on.

Food for thought. Maybe pick up a second hand one and send it out...

Damn all of you! I pulled the trigger on a used one last night and will be sending it out for a coating. Can't seem to find a vendor for DLC service so I'm considering cerakote. Thanks all of you.

Hello gentlemen. This is my first post.
Just wanted to voice my love for this fine knife. I also gently enlarged the closing area on this knife and must say it sure does save the thumb.
I've been carrying this one for a couple of weeks now and love how it carries. Lite in the pocket and sharp like a razor!!

Honestly the GB series are some of the best knives in Spyderco's recent line up. I have a GB1 and just love it. The GB2 I've only handled at the local knife store. I have wanted a GB2 to whack on as the GB1 is now discontinued.

The GB1 feels abit more substantial to me. I believe its liners and thus lockbar are slightly thinner. At the same time they are in no way thin. M4 is just such a great steel.

My thoughts on the GBs with comparison pics...

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68977&start=160#p1065178

Favorite pic of this classy beast:

24491897991_44f1abd766_h.jpg

Is there a recurve to the blade of the GB2, or is it flat? My interest has been piqued by the GB2, but I despise recurves in folders.

Is there a recurve to the blade of the GB2, or is it flat? My interest has been piqued by the GB2, but I despise recurves in folders.
This thread finally pushed me over the edge and I ordered one. The first one was very nice except for the big recurve. Sent it back. The second one also had a very discernible recurve, though not as bad as the first, and the tip of the blade would cut your finger when closed. Blade not sitting down far enough in the handle. Sent it back. Now awaiting the third one.

Sucks not being able to handle knives before purchase.

I like most everything about the GB2. All except the lock access. I've been meaning to grind out a thumb relief, but have not done so yet. I did it on my Positron, and it made it much more user friendly. Not even noticeable to most people, but that little 1/8" or less goes a long way.

My GB2 flicks open almost as smooth as the PM2, and locks up solid. One more pic for good measure.

724lyq.jpg

I've had this GB 1 for years and I don't do much to avoid rust. If any shows up, I Flitz it off, so it's not hard to maintain. Every so often I might apply a thin film of USP mineral oil but that's it. Notice how dark the area is around the Spyderhole.

I'm still considering buying a GB 2. Most likely I'll buy a lightly used/ LNIB from the Exchange in the next few months. I like the GB 1 a lot, but a lighter version would be nicer for casual carry.

xzo0Zdt.jpg

The GB1 kicked an S30V left hand Sebenza out of my pocket. Been looking at the GB2 for a while, but don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger. You don't see to many offered up second hand and when you do, they seem to disappear quickly. Well kept secret...

The GB1 kicked an S30V left hand Sebenza out of my pocket. Been looking at the GB2 for a while, but don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger. You don't see to many offered up second hand and when you do, they seem to disappear quickly. Well kept secret...
Everyone should at least try a GB2. She's a different beast than the 1. Both hall of famers in their own right.

Back