Recommendation? NYC Knife Laws - Key Knife or SwissCard?

I know NYC knife laws have been widely discussed on here but I know there have been some changes as of late and my question is more specific.

I'm looking into a blade to provide some utility and possibly some SD. I know both of these options will be laughed at as far as SD goes but I'm really not looking to get arrested and something is better than nothing in this big bad city.

In terms of legality, function and SD practicality, should I get both or one of the other?

Best,
J

https://www.sogknives.com/key-knife-black-bx.html

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Pro...Card-Lite/p/0.7300.T#accordion-prod-details-2

Sog looks like something sold over the counter at a gas station and the Swiss card doesn't contain a knife. For self defense both appear useless. Can't comment on the laws in that particular cesspool. Develop a limp and carry a sturdy cane.

Neither of these has any self defense use at all. The key knife is simply a way to conceal a tiny blade on a key ring and has only the faintest utility beyond small cutting tasks.

My understanding of NYC knife laws is that any knife that would be at all useful for self defense would be illegal due to a variety of factors. Therefore you can rule out any legal knife being useful in a fight.

For a tiny utility tool, the Victorinox SD Classic is a much better choice than either. Some small pliers-based multitools would be good choices, too.

Zieg

NYC Admin Code 10-133 states knife must be under 4" blade and can not be exposed while carry it. NYS PL 265.01 states can't carry gravity knife ( which means the officer can not "flick" it open and it has to lock). There are many non locking knives that are legal, and there are many locking knives with half stops, or sod buster style liner locks that can not be flicked open by anyone. Anything carried as a weapon is illegal, so you simple can not state you are carry it for that purpose. There were proposed changes in the law, but they were vetoed by our dear Governor, so you are no correct saying there were recent changes.

They seem to meet the legal restrictions. Remember they can not be exposed ( no visible pocket clip and not on a key chain). They are not carried as a weapon ( even for possible self defense). Every officer thinks differently, so know the law as I gave reference too, and remember if found during a search there needs to be proable cause for a search.

NYC Admin Code 10-133 states knife must be under 4" blade and can not be exposed while carry it. NYS PL 265.01 states can't carry gravity knife ( which means the officer can not "flick" it open and it has to lock). There are many non locking knives that are legal, and there are many locking knives with half stops, or sod buster style liner locks that can not be flicked open by anyone. Anything carried as a weapon is illegal, so you simple can not state you are carry it for that purpose. There were proposed changes in the law, but they were vetoed by our dear Governor, so you are no correct saying there were recent changes.
according to what you stated, a spring assisted folding knife under 4 inch should be legal as it does not flick open but needs pressure to be applied.

i suggest he should get a swiss army knife which has a locking blade...it might be safer as SAK's are recognised gentlemen pocket tools

according to what you stated, a spring assisted folding knife under 4 inch should be legal as it does not flick open but needs pressure to be applied.

i suggest he should get a swiss army knife which has a locking blade...it might be safer as SAK's are recognised gentlemen pocket tools
There are two issues with assisted openers in NYC: first the NYPD legal department treats them as switchblades ( which they are not), and some officers will labelled them as "dangerous knives" based on their quick opening action. The law does not ban them, but I would not carry them in NYC. Finally many assisted openers can in fact be flicked open too if you try hard enough. That would make them gravity knives under the present court rulings and application of the law by the NYPD.

Those should be legal as long as you do not open carry them and do not say they are a weapon....

i repeat

i work in NYC 5 days a week
only carry a swiss army knife, a spyderco uk pen knife , or a smaller blade case pocket knife

those are the only legal blades you can carry

I carried a Buck 110 on my belt for 20 years all over NYC, and never got hassled once. The laws? Throw them out the window. In practice anything, ANYTHING a cop thinks can be used as a weapon can be confiscated. But probably won't be. Police have too much else to deal with to be bothered. Carry cheap, though; if it's too pretty he may just take it for HIS collection!

The NYC Admin code passed in 1988 stating now visible open carry of a knife and must be under a 4" blade......Stretcher not sure when you carried a Buck 110 but the NYPD went into heavy duty enforcement of this law in the early 2000s.....Manhattan is the worse, but Queens is second. Hard to believe you were not at least stopped several times these days....The subway system detail of the NYPD considers this a good arrests.....

first off, you're right op, i am laughing at you. if you really need a knife for self defense, who are you kidding, those are terrible ideas. i'd say buy a 4" paring knife, throw it in a sheath and put it in your bag along with other cooking shit.

this murderous bad ass is my edc in nyc. this is the only knife i will carry in my pocket, handy with me today.
XUMh4iK.jpg

alternatively, one of these deadly m'fers (NOT the Spyderco Sage. this is the only picture i had handy with my 2" snody activator. the sage would land me in jail) get's carried sometimes, but clipped inside my brief case. the pivots on the small summit lake are tightened down so hard that i have to struggle to open and close it, and i'm probably damaging the frame and/or washers every time i do open or close it, but it will never fail the gravity knife test. I've had my bag searched once in the subway during the decade i've lived in the city, and wasn't carrying anything at the time. if do get caught with any of the knives, my answer is always, "i was going to use it on fruit. it's ____ season, and my fruit guy says he's getting a nice fresh batch"

In7z8Gj.jpg

HLUoYQ8.jpg

hope this helps

I stick with a SAK Spartan most of the time. Wonder how they would react to the Huntsman with the small saw lol!
For SD, I use reeeeally good sneakers...

Back