O-Rings fer KA-BARS...

Hey y'all...

If ya haven't tried this, ...Plumbin' Fixture O-Rings, from the Hardware store/Depot, ...Really add a lot of non-slip grip (and a l'il needed diameter to the Short KA-BAR).

The (#x) is the O-Ring washer size.

They lock-in tight and will not "roll out". Ya bout have ta cut'em out ta get'em off.

I have yet to replace any of mine after several seasons of field use. (and the O-Rings come on packs, so you'll have extra in case ya cut one by accident)

Just costs a coupla bucks and a few minutes ta install.

Enjoy.

O-Rings for KA-BARs
(Five groves from Guard to Pommel)

- Drag the grooves w/ a loop of string to clean/clear them.
- Work from Pommel to Guard.

Full Size Fighting/Utility Knife (1217) Leather Handle:

- 5X #15

Short Fighting/Utility Knife (1250) Leather Handle:

Guard
Pommel

This is a Short KA-BAR...

KA-BAR-1250.jpg

GR

Last edited:
Very cool mod. Thanks for sharing it!

I like it, I gotta run out for some new sander belts today, I think I'm gonna try this out.

Moose

I did a similar job to my Cutlass and Kukri machetes. I can't say what size I bought, but it wasn't hard to figure out. If they are hard to get on, you're close to a good fit. It really helps with the comfort and grip.
I did the same to a SOG Fasthawk, then wrapped the handle in camo fabric tape.

Sheoot, never thought about applying this concept to the Toooj handle. I think I got some o-rings in my future.

Bumped again ...

Thx for this info!

Someone else posted in another thread about adding O-Rings to their Ka-Bar. I couldn't find that specific thread but they said they read it in another thread so I'm assuming they meant this one.

Used #15 O-Ring from Lowes, Plumbing, Faucet Repair Section, $2.49 for 10. Damn hard to get over the pommel. Just when I thought I should have gotten a different size, the #15 slipped on.

Wow, what a difference. Just enough texture to stop my hand from slipping on the leather, especially when its wet.

20141123_204956.jpg

Last edited:
Do those size of washers work for the kraton handled KA-BARs the same way they do their leather handled cousins?

Do those size of washers work for the kraton handled KA-BARs the same way they do their leather handled cousins?

Dunno.

The #15 O-Ring is listed as 1" O.D. 3/4" I.D. 1/8" thick.

The leather handle on my USMC above is an oval and measures 1-1/8" x 15/16" to 1-5/16" x 1-1/16", narrow to thickest.

The #15 O-Ring stretches enough to go from 3/4" to 1-5/16".

So as long as your handle lies within that range, the #15 should work.

If not, the faucet repair section has lots of varying sizes so just select the next size smaller/larger as needed.

Do.

The #15 O-Ring is listed as 1" O.D. 3/4" I.D. 1/8" thick.

The leather handle on my USMC above is an oval and measures 1-1/8" x 15/16" to 1-5/16" x 1-1/16", narrow to thickest.

The #15 O-Ring stretches enough to go from 3/4" to 1-5/16".

So as long as your handle lies within that range, the #15 should work.

If not, the faucet repair section has lots of varying sizes so just select the next size smaller/larger as needed.

Excellent and informative post. I think I might try this on my kraton handled 1212 kabar!

It'll work. Got it on my kraton handled one. Perfect water knife.

Moose

Back