Off-topic...What's for dinner???

Most of us love food and cooking. Heck, that's what a large percentage of the knife usage seems to be.
While we may not always think to put a Fiddleback in the picture or stage a cool pic, we all eat dinner or are cooking something.
Here is a place to post up what you are having are whats in the works.

I'll start it off with something I was working on most of the day today. It will be lunch for the 4th.

Smoked this 8 1/2 lb butt today.

UTC_Data1499105372179SEFHgSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1499129094155SEFHgSEFT-vi.jpg

UCRP28lF9Uv2eDDTcjG58LVa-vi.jpg

I hope everyone has a safe & happy 4th!

Last edited:
No question we share the same love and affinity for two things Fiddlebacks and "Pork"...I'll be right over!

Last edited:
Exactly. Killing me. I had a store bought chicken salad wrap because I was on the road all day. Got home and had a handful of cookies.

I am still hoping Phillip will adopt me as his long lost older brother or something. Maybe I could be a companion to Maximus during the day. I'll sleep outside in the shed and stay quiet - I promise. Just let me eat with you. Hell, you can even make me eat outside with Max.

That's a great looking hunk of pork, Phil. I'm waiting for Boston Butts to go on sale around here before I tackle a 10+ hour smoke. I'd feel a lot better if I ruined a $10 piece of meat than a $20 piece of meat. Haha.

I'm about to throw some chicken quarters on; I hope it looks nice enough to post in this thread later.

(Thanks for the info on IG, btw.)

Luca917 Luca917 ....after about two days, Max would have worn you out!
TinyDog TinyDog ...that's a good looking dish:thumbsup:

Wurrwulf Wurrwulf ... Thanks! The biggest asset I have is my Maverick ET-&734. It takes all the guess work out. It allows me to monitor the temp of the smoker & the internal temp of the meat....from my couch.

I have the MAX meat temp set to 205 on the Maverick. Once the probe inside the meat reaches about 190-195 i will start "probing the meat" I am looking for it to feel like a hot knife in warm butter.

The temp range on the smoker is not that critcal. I have a spread of 225 - 300 degrees set on the Maverick. If it drops below or above those parameters an alarm will go off & I can make the adjustments needed.
No problem on the IG thing too
Tj7-vi.jpg

Have to admit, I laughed a bit at "probing the meat", but back to serious now.

Traditional July 4th Dinner. Burgers (sweet onions, black pepper) & Hot dogs & Nessmuk.
IMG_3533.jpg

looking good Noah
Truth be told, hambugers are my favorite thing to grill. I would have done them for the 4th but we had them Sunday afternoon at the in-laws.

Chicken quarters turned out decently enough. About an hour at 200-225* before saucing, removing the indirect heat stone, and finishing at ~300*F. Pictures with my wrapped Minimuk.

IMG_20170704_171119_2.jpg

burning off the residue from the past cook
UTC_Data1499289748902SEFHgSEFT-vi.jpg

hamburger steak & onions tonight.
UTC_Data1499301929869SEFHgSEFT-vi.jpg

Back