Official THK picture thread

I like 52100 -- takes and holds a nice edge, decently tough, too.

What is your impression of the 52100? I've been waiting to ask.

It's lovely stuff! Similar to O1 in terms of being tough and easy to get nice crisp edge on, but maybe a tad more stain-resistant.

I have a Growl floating around the shop with a fouled-up maker's mark... the stencil slipped half-way through the process and made my mark all blurry. We also had our Christmas tree laying out in the yard, and it was really nice out today. So rather than drag the tree down to the curb to help take up space in the landfill, we decided to cut it up and make a little testing video with the "ugly duckling"...

[video=youtube;hXCXlYJfS_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXCXlYJfS_E[/video]

All the boughs and the trunk will end up in our firepit out back. Waste not, want not!

A couple more to keep things rolling while I finish up the latest batch.

Custom kitchen knife in CPM-154 and G10...

tumblr_n0glkg9Vd91t96crwo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0gltcYL4P1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

Another Strix, in O1 and canvas micarta, with a standard belt sheath...

tumblr_n0gnp2cw9O1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

This custom kitchen knife made it to the client yesterday...

tumblr_n1k8e8tVHT1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hb65N2g1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

... one thing I started doing differently on this project was to line/coat the inside of the leather cover with clear poly after dying it, to help it shed water (along with the drain hole) if it's ever put away wet. The sheath overall is finished normally with neetsfoot oil and gum tragacanth so it can still breathe.

Mentioned earlier, currently on its way to Afghanistan...

tumblr_n06zmgEbIo1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

...chisel-ground 52100 and canvas micarta... killer sheath by BFC's own Kiahdex Sheath Systems. Thanks again, Kiah!

Last edited:
Annnnd a little teaser shot...

tumblr_n1lbcxdFOg1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

... this will be finished up in a day or two.

Looks like a little rat, i like the design, its so different, id love to see how that one ended up!!

The designer finished one of those up and put his signature edge on it...

This one is nearly done. I guess some would call it a collaboration project since we both ground on this piece.

If I can ever get around to ordering up some rivets, I'll finish the Kydex neck sheath. It is small, but it makes small work of some moderate jobs. Thin, doesn't really seem adequate to describe this one.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Uh oh. You're speaking my language here.:eek:

Funny how things work out... that's a custom request, and the first filet/boning knife I've done. I cut out two just in case I fouled up the first one, and the second one is already spoken for although I haven't even ground the bevels yet. Guess maybe I should make a couple more since people seem to like 'em...

that bendy thing looks to be about .050" at the spine -- what steel?
the new srix looks good, and I really like that kitchen knife!

Back