Old Hickory Cleaver

While i do not have pics of mine in use, I do use it quite a bit. This is simply an awesome, inexpensive food prep tool. Warning- do not chop hard wood or bone with it. I did & it bent the blade edge. It is simply not meant for that. I was able to straighten mine so you can barely tell. No harm-no foul. I got lucky. But for food prep, it is awesome. It is almost like a cross between a light duty cleaver & a Usuba/Nikiri vegetable knife. Anyone else have & use one ?

I do. Got it a few months ago on a whim, now it's one of my go-to knives in the kitchen. Lightweight as you said, but I have heavy cleavers for that kind of work when needed. I'd like to thin the edge out a bit more to make it a little slicier.

Someone did a thread recently about using one as a camp knife, and it did pretty well. The only issue if I recall is the handle loosening up after some wood work.

Yeah, this is definitely a food prep only knife. Once you thin the edge, you will love it even more. It can cut tomato slices so thin, you can see through them.

I thought about buying one and grinding a point on it to make sort of a small Hudson bay type knife, but it would probably be almost as easy to make one.

Back