Old Hickory Paring Mod

69eec045a66e51289eaa62a037dab4c7.jpg

adb8705980417290f5e31478306363ca.jpg

b319d683d8ab4dc5e344298c11841e69.jpg

8bb042d5836e73a5cf14e9cc4d005740.jpg

I started with an Old Hickory 3" paring knife. I modified the clip point to somewhat of a drop point and put on OD green canvas micarta scales. Since the OH paring knife isn't a full tang, I made a spacer of orange G10. This was my first knife mod and it is flawed, but I'm happy with it. I still need to work on the blade quite a bit, it wasn't very sharp and the tip is very thick. I was hoping for a very nice EDC fixed blade and I think I'm going to have that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Very nice!
I've Kephart-ed a couple of larger old Hickories and Nessmucked one as well! They are great fun to mess with. Haven't tried modding the paring knife yet though. Still have one of their VERY large 14 inch bladed knives here that i haven't done anything with either.

Last edited:
I have done a few and seen many more. Yours is very nice.
Well done.

Thanks guys. This was my first knife mod. So far I've been using it around the kitchen and it has a great feel to it. Also made a little sheath for it from a kit and it carries well in my front pocket. I'm pleased with it. I think I may find myself ordering one of the bigger knifes and try the Kephart mod at some point!

Great job! Looks like it would make a super handy edc. Handle looks like a slim SW Rodent Solution.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow this is without a doubt the best Old Hik I have ever seen. You could never buy other knives again.

Like It! Nice light weight/thin stock, carbon steel, made in USA, edc fixed blade. :thumbsup:

Wow this is without a doubt the best Old Hik I have ever seen. You could never buy other knives again.

Thanks guys! It was a fun and pretty easy project. Knife has worked well and has a little more patina than that last picture. I'll have to update this with another picture some day.

Very nice, this has been my favorite knife to mod for a while now. I have an old hickory 10" cooks knife, the 10"? I believe butcher, the sticker, the skinner, the slicer (60+ year old family heirloom), the cleaver and about 10 each of the 3.25" and 4"paring knives... I went a little crazy lol. After modding one of the 3.25" paring knives and using it awhile, I have modded 3 more but haven't touched the others yet lol. They're just the right size and really easy to do with so many options.Yours is very nice, great work and check out mine...
jelHOGr.jpg
I don't have the third, it was sold and I can't find a pic now. Here are the sheaths
ttmMap4.jpg

Both have wood handles, obviously, but I did consider G10 or micarta and now I know it looks great!I did force the patina on the top blade, it was easy and looks cool/ offers a little protection. I prefer to buy these vintage though, my cleaver, slicer, butcher and cooks knife are all 30+ years old and naturally patinad and rust free.I may drop the point a little more like yours on one, it looks really nice and useful. I'm glad to see anyone modding these knives, they're great quality, but can become top notch with just a little work. Thanks for sharing!

I think a lot of the knives people EDC instead of a folder have too much blade "depth" (not thickness, but depth or width) for the length. These very nice mods answer that complaint. They take a very useful shape, a paring knife, and make it more of a nice little carry knife. I guess one could just carry the knife stock, but who wants to carry a straight up kitchen knife?! Great mods all!

G Gun Doc That's pretty much my philosophy, based solely from my own experience. I couldn't find the "perfect" edc for me, so I fooled around and made not 1 but 3. I'm sad to have sold one but that's the intention for all my knives. I hope these knives work just as well for the buyers as mine has for me! Mine is the darker handled one, that baby is staying with me! greentrout greentrout I have contemplated kephart-ing the butcher, but I think I may just drop the hump a little. Nothing wrong with the kephart mod, I just need atleast one huge knife in my collection to round out all the big cleavers I sell!

Back