"Old Knives"

I've been excited for this one to arrive. A Clauss (made by CASE) circa 1920-1940. There is no play in either main of pen. Crack and chip free BEAUTIFUL green jigged bone. Near full if not full blades, they look full to me?

On the AAPK site some posters said that on the inside (back) of the Clauss shield it says CASE?. This is such a dead ringer for CASE. I don't know much about Clauss but have read elsewhere that other companies such as Challenge made knives for them as well?

tpqCyP.jpg

SFvHCK.jpg

BkTp3H.jpg

OpXkt2.jpg

THAT my friend is one hang of a nice Knife!!!!! Right up there, I would certainly place that with my best- as you should Paul, Oh man that Bone is something else!!!

bf09d7987b6962e1d832b88e38560520.jpg
17ca72c97830750727ef57034abad40d.jpg

I just found this little Boker for 3 bucks at an antique store. The condition is clearly not great, but I think that is the 1890s stamp.
I also think the handle is celluloid but I'm not sure. Anyone know these corn knives?

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

Holy **** Paul, I love the Green bone, the Green bone on my case slim pen from the same era is too small to really see the color, mine is really dark and I don't know if it's sweat stains that made it so dark or the difficulty in tryin' to uniformly dye such a small piece of jigged bone.

009-6.jpg

I'm certainly jealous Paul but it's got a home where it'll be appreciated, congratulations. :)

Holy **** Paul, I love the Green bone, the Green bone on my case slim pen from the same era is too small to really see the color, mine is really dark and I don't know if it's sweat stains that made it so dark or the difficulty in tryin' to uniformly dye such a small piece of jigged bone.

009-6.jpg

I'm certainly jealous Paul but it's got a home where it'll be appreciated, congratulations. :)

T. Erdelyi, from where I'm sitting, that looks like stag..

nice Clauss!

I've been excited for this one to arrive. A Clauss (made by CASE) circa 1920-1940. There is no play in either main of pen. Crack and chip free BEAUTIFUL green jigged bone. Near full if not full blades, they look full to me?

On the AAPK site some posters said that on the inside (back) of the Clauss shield it says CASE?. This is such a dead ringer for CASE. I don't know much about Clauss but have read elsewhere that other companies such as Challenge made knives for them as well?

tpqCyP.jpg

SFvHCK.jpg

BkTp3H.jpg

OpXkt2.jpg

bf09d7987b6962e1d832b88e38560520.jpg
17ca72c97830750727ef57034abad40d.jpg

I just found this little Boker for 3 bucks at an antique store. The condition is clearly not great, but I think that is the 1890s stamp.
I also think the handle is celluloid but I'm not sure. Anyone know these corn knives?

Don't know much, other than what's available on the internet. There are a lot of them around or there used to be. I can remember diggin' through boxes of knives at the flea market and I always saw a few corn knives. For a few years at first I thought they had something to do with cutting corn off the cob which would explain the belly with a kinda recurve to it. Then I got my first knife ID book and I learned what a corn knife was.

I started noticing them more and more but now I was noticing them in manicure sets, handled in, ivory, pearl, tortoise shell and every kind of celluloid out there. There were little fixed blades and little folders, the were everywhere. Now I don't notice them as much, probably because once I realized what they were and were used for I lost interest, IIRC every major knife manufacturer made one or at least made a blade as part of a lobster pattern used with manicure knives.

Wow, Paul! That Clauss is a beaut!

W.M.B., I don't know about corn knives. (for cutting corns off your feet, or corn the vegetable?) But $3 for an old Boker, you can't go wrong.

My newest oldie is a Schrade Walden 136 hawkbill.
I may have overpaid, but something about it said 'take me home'. The three notches are intriguing. I wonder what the story is. The tip is broken, but I think I can fix that.

Don't know much, other than what's available on the internet. There are a lot of them around or there used to be. I can remember diggin' through boxes of knives at the flea market and I always saw a few corn knives. For a few years at first I thought they had something to do with cutting corn off the cob which would explain the belly with a kinda recurve to it. Then I got my first knife ID book and I learned what a corn knife was.

I started noticing them more and more but now I was noticing them in manicure sets, handled in, ivory, pearl, tortoise shell and every kind of celluloid out there. There were little fixed blades and little folders, the were everywhere. Now I don't notice them as much, probably because once I realized what they were and were used for I lost interest, IIRC every major knife manufacturer made one or at least made a blade as part of a lobster pattern used with manicure knives.
I wish someone told me before I used it to cut my corn off the cob. [emoji37]
Just kidding.
Any idea if it's cell or ivory? The grain is at the way through. But I think that celluloid is that way too.

T. Erdelyi, from where I'm sitting, that looks like stag..

nice Clauss!

I never considered that It's got such a green tinge, I've never seen green dyed stag, also with the thinness of the scales it would be pretty difficult to find stag with any texture. These scales are about 1mm thick or about as thick as 10 sheets of printer paper. I've never seen stag cut that thin. I've seen bone made to look like stag or it could be second cut stag. Now you have me wondering, anyone have a way to tell stag from bone, I know how to tell natural from synthetic but not bone from stag.

Last edited:
I never considered that It's got such a green tinge, I've never seen green dyed stag, also with the thinness of the scales it would be pretty difficult to find stag with any texture. These scales are about 1mm thick or about as thick as 10 sheets of printer paper. I've never seen stag cut that thin. I've seen bone made to look like stag or it could be second cut stag. Now you have me wondering, anyone have a way to tell stag from bone, I know how to tell natural from synthetic but not bone from stag.

I think these pics from the previous page really show it better...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/527126-quot-Old-Knives-quot?p=17067897#post17067897

I agree, the covers on these little knives are really thin... pen blades are too. cool little knfe.

Wow, Paul! That Clauss is a beaut!

W.M.B., I don't know about corn knives. (for cutting corns off your feet, or corn the vegetable?) But $3 for an old Boker, you can't go wrong.

My newest oldie is a Schrade Walden 136 hawkbill.
I may have overpaid, but something about it said 'take me home'. The three notches are intriguing. I wonder what the story is. The tip is broken, but I think I can fix that.

the 3 notches are interesting. I bought a schrod walden melon tester today, not old enough for this thread I would say, but it was notched in a similar way.

I just googled 3 notches cut into a knife handle. I found quite a few images of the same thing. I read that it was something some Jewish people would do to mark the knife that was for fish, to keep it separate from the meat knife. Very interesting. Does anybody know more about this?

Interesting. I've read theories about three notches put on a knife to mark it for use on dairy foods and not meat for those who keep kosher. It doesn't seem like that would be the case on my pruner, since I don't think it's a knife that would be used for food.
Could it be a symbol of good luck? Confirmed kills? :confused:

I just googled 3 notches cut into a knife handle. I found quite a few images of the same thing. I read that it was something some Jewish people would do to mark the knife that was for fish, to keep it separate from the meat knife. Very interesting. Does anybody know more about this?

Ha! We were posting at the same time.

In a kosher kitchen, all utensils are marked in some way to keep meat and dairy separate, but I've never found a definitive answer regarding the use of notches on a folding knife.

All about pocket knives had a thread. I am not sure about linking but you can find it easy enough with Google.

also, the model # would be either 5253 or 52053

Did you mean 06263? That's the Eisenhower Pen. I'll admit it looks very similar but this knife predates stamped pattern # and was certainly made well before Eisenhower was POTUS. This is the issue with the knife, it's an enigma. There are similar knives but none exactly like it and I take it to every show and ask the experts who always tell me they'll have to get back to me and change the subject.

Back