"Old Knives"

Compared to the treasures on this page I'm almost shy to post my newest Old Knife find, but I think it's neat, and it's older than I am. :D

Hammer Brand (1945-1955) Shell construction, and I think it may have originally had a shield crimped on in the two little holes on the mark side.

View attachment 698141
I don't know about the holes; I've never seen such a shield, but I don't have a better idea.

I don't know about the holes; I've never seen such a shield, but I don't have a better idea.
I have an old Imperial with solid bolsters, but the shield appears to be attached with tabs. I'm only guessing of course, but it may have been tabbed this way over whatever cell sheet covered the metal scales.

I have an old Imperial with solid bolsters, but the shield appears to be attached with tabs. I'm only guessing of course, but it may have been tabbed this way over whatever cell sheet covered the metal scales.
I don't think I've seen one with solid bolsters and hollow covers. looks like a nice one, anyway.

I don't think I've seen one with solid bolsters and hollow covers. looks like a nice one, anyway.
The old green celluloid covers aren't hollow, it just looks like the shield is set in with tabs. I'll have to take a closer look to see if they go all the way through.

I have an old turn of the century Camillus EE Jack like that with a Badge shaped shield, the top and bottom peaks have a similar tab set up .

44itQVp.jpg

The old green celluloid covers aren't hollow, it just looks like the shield is set in with tabs. I'll have to take a closer look to see if they go all the way through.
I get it. I just got an old Camillus like that. Planning to save the shield to put on the new handle.

1950s-60s Hammer Brand Pen with uncut GM ignition key.

RtdZGjl.jpg

I've got one of those, too! Now I just need an old Chevy.
View attachment 698147

The knives with the uncut keys are neat! I've never seen that but I like the idea! I'm much better at keeping track of my knives than I am my keys & I drive my cars forever. This could totally work for me. :D No, wait. I like switching my daily carry knife too much. It would never work for me. :p

Hopefully, this one's old enough to go in this thread. Dad found it when he was packing up his office and thinks it's mine. He says it's not his, and he doesn't think it's my brothers. It seems like the kind of thing I might have bought in a second hand store when I was a kid, especially if my brother was in the Boy Scouts and getting to use Dad's old Scout knife, but darned if I remember buying the thing. o_O

There's a crack at one of the pins on the back and the scale & bolsters are loose on that end, and all of the blades/tools are stiff and rusty, but the main blade still has some snap left. Wish I knew where it came from.

34148490105_4f6c7b516a_c.jpg

33337206293_6273af6296_c.jpg

33285825733_fdff0ec9f6_c.jpg

I ended up striking a deal for this Torrey jackknife, I was looking for a Massachusetts made knife and the Official Price Guide to Collector Knives listed Torrey in the higher range of value so I contacted the seller. That clip blade is mean looking.

nv19g7.png
o0w8e1.png

What a beaut! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: That's one for the Bareheaded Ebony Jacks Thread.

I ended up striking a deal for this Torrey jackknife, I was looking for a Massachusetts made knife and the Official Price Guide to Collector Knives listed Torrey in the higher range of value so I contacted the seller. That clip blade is mean looking.

nv19g7.png
o0w8e1.png
Great looking knife, North Shore. I really like that clip blade !

I'm hoping to figure out the age of my late Pappy's old case knife. It's a pen knife in good ole yella synthetic. Here it is compared to a Peanut and Yella Medium Stockman. (compare the old and new yella scales!)

4F3B66A7-B97F-4EA2-8357-80E38173F3A2_zpsangoxcdm.jpg

ABE672E0-1843-4D03-A3AB-1BE52D2202AE_zpsdenbq7q9.jpg

The tang stamp says Case XX and according to the Case website it says the knife was produced between 1940 to 1964. That's a pretty broad range.

005D64F7-78CC-4CF8-9C68-D342671CB3E7_zpscldzlwvp.jpg

047ab585-dfd1-4494-8b49-3e11f26d0fea_zpsbkdncghw.jpg

There is no shield on the knife. I polished up the blades a bit, lubed it and sharpened it. Took a great edge! I couldn't get a good picture but it reads 32042 on the main blade. Any ideas about the age of this knife would be greatly appreciated!

I have found that dating one of the older ones more specifically than the range of tang stamps is practically impossible. I have an old Barlow that I just cleaned up and restored a bit and best I can come up with is 1920-1940

Wasn't there specific year when Case started stamp the pattern number on the Blade tang? Maybe that could help narrow it down a little bit.

Wasn't there specific year when Case started stamp the pattern number on the Blade tang? Maybe that could help narrow it down a little bit.
I believe this was well after the stamp on the blade the op has. I know it was way after the stamp on my barlow

Back