"Old Knives"

The first decade with dot stamps was 1970-1979. And my previous post I think is incorrect I think most say 1949 was when pattern numbers began

That stamp is smooth yellow synthetic (3 as first digit) 2 blades (2 as second digit) and 042 is a pen or jack knife according to the chart from the last 10 years of production. Possibly different due to the age. I would say it is made between 1949-1964

Thank you Ron, i was really impressed with the bone on this one, maybe Camillus made?

That is great bone!
I have heard that the Wards' with the very small shield could have been made by Winchester.

IXL%204%20blade%20Cattle%20knife_zpszqhk1eag.jpg~original

I will get this figured out eventually I guess.
My last post is a pic of an I*XL four blade cattle knife that I picked up at a gun show (and tricked up a bit).
It is a nice size - 3 5/8 and is tight with good snap on all blades.
The master blade is set up like a left handed knife, which is a little different.

Here is another one I got at the same show. This is a stamp/brand that I have never seen before - Butler, with an image of a key, and "made in England" on the back side of the tang. All three blades are stamped.
This is a skookum (means strong in BC speak) knife. Snaps like the proverbial bear trap. I fiddled with it a bit to make it a better whittler too.
Butler%20knife_zpsmbheq3dz.jpg~original

Beautiful Cattle knife, John - killer piece!!

Nice stockman knives, Mr Chips!

Nice aluminum handled Burkinshaw knife Ramrodmb :thumbsup::thumbsup: ... do you have any pics of the blades open and also a pic to look at the tang stamp? I only ask as I am curious as to the blades included... Funny that many of those old aluminum handled knives have very similar patterning on the handle covers even from different companies... I have a Waterville Wharncliffe with very similar aluminum handles that I will get pics of and put up in this thread...

Thanks LongBlade. I would love to see your Waterville.
This Burkinshaw is rough, main blade snapped off. i marvel how they fit all the blades in such a tight package.
Ng7rO7s.jpg

8oMw1nt.jpg

John, fantastic Cattle knife:thumbsup:

Mr Chips, very nice Stockmans/mens:):thumbsup:

Ramrodmb, I love unique vintage knives and you have one right there...very neat:cool::thumbsup:

These aren't to rare, but this one is very nice. Just perfect fit and finish. Blades solid and centered in the wells. Perfect transition from spring to blade spine:thumbsup: I am such a sucker for CASE red bone, and this one sports a bit of Rago_O

CASE XX tang stamp, circa 1940-1964.

bkq1IX.jpg

C87fSw.jpg

9eCI0r.jpg

pqmeQu.jpg

Thanks Ramrodmb!! Much appreciated that you posted those photos!! The tang stamp I believe and I can be wrong indicates it was after 1881 when Aaron Burkinshaw's sons took over the company... still a nice knife and lots of history!!

Here is my Waterville Wharncliffe - again quite interesting to me that multiple cutleries using the aluminum handles were indeed quite similar!!

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Back