"Old Knives"

Struggling to keep up with this thread, but enjoying the great contributions :) Thanks for sharing folks :thumbsup:

Nice A. Field, herder!
Ulster 10th mountain div
mrp1BZw.jpg

Great old knives Herder and Ramrodmb :thumbsup: ... great old bone on both and as the thread is entitled - Nice old knives with cool history :)

Ramrodmb - what are the blades and other implements in that beauty of an Ulster ??? Does 10th Mountain Div refer to WWI??

Last edited:
LongBlade, Thanks for the nice words.
WWII- The 10th mountain division was issued this knife with the added phillips screwdriver starting about 1942. Apparently the bindings on their skis used a phillips screw. Maybe someone can remember more about the story until I can check my books!
They traded the cap lifter for a sheepsfoot and added the 5th blade as a phillips driver. (On some models the phillips driver was welded to the bail.)
9F7ojXG.jpg

The bail is stamped U.S.
XpFEnph.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ramrodmb for showing the knife in other photos and the background you provided (and to blademan13 and Charlie as well) :thumbsup::thumbsup: ... That Ulster is indeed special !! If that knife was only able to talk I am sure we would hear some really cool stories :)

Two nice ones Herder an Ramrodmb.

Herder that Easy Opener is simply Stunning. What a great Knife.

Ramrodmb - I like that Knife very much. Hope this isn't an offending question- the Main Clip point - is that original or has it slightly been moded?
What a great Histiry piece - I can't imagine too many of them around ?

Thanks for showing us guys.

My mom came across this little Puukko, which was her father's, a few months ago and sent it my way. It was in pretty bad shape, with a solid layer of surface rust from tip to tang. I did some research and determined it probably wasn't anything special enough to preserve in that state, so I decided to clean it up. I used Hoppe's and a few grits of wet/dry paper, and took off just enough to remove the rust while minimizing the loss of good steel.

Grandpa's pukko after by MaxArcherEDC, on Flickr

It takes and holds an edge quite nicely. Part of me wants to keep going and get it down to a nice uniform finish, but I think it's better that I keep it as-is and let it wear its history.

By the way, it's a bit of a mystery to me WHY he had a Puukko. We have no Finns in my family, and he was an Italian-American who grew up in a Pennsylvania mining town and moved to New Jersey after the war. He was an avid hunter and fisherman so maybe he ended up with it through that somehow.

Neal, what a wonderful knife, love that one.

Ramrodmb, I love those 10th Mountain knives. I've had one and regret selling it. I have seen (if my memory is correct) both a clip and spear for the main. I don't know if they were issued with both style blades or not?o_O

GREAT Pukko Max:thumbsup:

This came today, an old Utica in candy stripe celluloid. I absolutely love the old candy stripe covers. I know they're a gamble but one that's worth it to me. This is a solid knife but has seen blade reprofiling overtime. Still the blades are solid.
P1xl6D.jpg

e6IvxI.jpg

tLuhh7.jpg

U46p5u.jpg

Paul,

Great knife! I love those covers, they look a little more dark and rich than normal? That may bode well for you, I have heard that gassing is more problematic with the lighter colored material than the darker shades? Nothing scientific there, just hearsay that I am certain someone more in the know may comment on.

Wonderful old knives Herder, RR, Max A and Paul!

Paul well worth the risk in my opinion. I am drawn to the candy stripe vintage handled folders like a moth to a flame:eek:
I have several and they are standouts in any vintage knife collection. Your looks to be in outstanding stable condition. Lloyd

Beauty, Paul!
If there was no risk, everyone would have one and they'd be boring!
Thanks for taking the bullets for us, Paul and Lloyd!:D

I have to agree with the others in that those cell handles on Paul's Utica are simply stunning!!!
Very nice cell examples also, Luger.

Thanks Duncan, Jamie, Neal, Lloyd and Charlie:thumbsup:

Very NICE Lloyd:cool::thumbsup: there is something alluring when it comes to flirting with danger:D

Back