"Old Knives"

Nice old and sentimental knife Wazu :thumbsup: (and BTW - you had me slapping at my computer screen at that small fly in your signature LOL) .. and nice knives Charlie especially that unique stockman :thumbsup: ...

Here’s an old Wostenholm Hawkbill that no doubt goes by the old adage "There ain’t no stag like old stag” … :D

This Wostenholm at 4 1/2” has just very appealing thick slabs of aged stag (to me aged stag, ivory and in many cases jigged bone just has the special appeal and in many cases because they were well handled over the years they also sport a rich color – to me the old stag is so much more appealing than any stag offered today)… Interesting aspects of this knife include the integral liners and bolsters (suggesting pre-1860), the notable blade etch of I*XL which has a different font than most Wostenholm blades, and some nice rat tail bolsters as well… I even posted a photo of the integral liners and bolsters for those interested which also gives some idea as to the slab of stag used for the handle covers….. Blade still has bear trap snap and a solid half stop – and not abit of wobble… tight as the day it left the shop and a real handful of knife with some weight as well ;-)) …

mj1JecL.jpg

DQfX5m9.jpg

Lwi36rE.jpg

JSkWPFt.jpg

dXqZE5R.jpg

16Xtbou.jpg

fVaOehh.jpg

[As an aside – there were multiple threads where this would fit in addition to here including the “Prune Big, or Go Home..” thread and “Golden Age of Sheffield” thread… I guess I could add them to those threads as well for posterity… Just don’t know if posting the same knife in multiple threads is an acceptable practice on BF so looking for some advice – I always figured there may be a few who read the other threads and not this one who may be interested…]

Cheers!
Lee
Great knife, Lee!
I would encourage you to post that beauty to the other threads you mentioned, and any others it may fit into!:thumbsup: (stag thread). Its too easy to miss if only posted in one thread!

Please post that wonderful knife in the "Prune Big" thread, Lee.:thumbsup:
And all the other threads in between!!:D
Really nice!!

Lee!!!!
Absolutely - you just have to list that stunning Knife in the Prune Big Thread as well as Wellingtons Thread ( Golden Age of ..)
I agree fully with what you say about the Stag.
Aged Stag is simply Stunning and your fantastic I *XL has some of the best I've seen.
What a beauty that us !

I agree with Charlie Wazu, I love that it carries his use of the knife with it. I love family heirlooms which that certainly is.

Charlie, in or under the truck may change from day to day with Duncan:D
Some wonderful knives posted of late. I've been a bit awol from BF. Trying to get Duncan's room ready in the garage for his stay prior to and after the rendezvous:p Kudos to all that have posted. Charlie, just amazing the knives you post. This is my favorite thread:thumbsup:

Heh - nice of you to put Duncan up in the Garage, Paul!
Does he sleep in the truck, or under it??
:D

I agree with Charlie Wazu, I love that it carries his use of the knife with it. I love family heirlooms which that certainly is.

Charlie, in or under the truck may change from day to day with Duncan:D

Oh guys feeling the Love:(, I just sat down and thought about the GEC Rendezvous- a few years ago this was a Dream -soon inside 3 weeks, I am boarding that Plane!

Knife content...
Q87gpVU.jpg

Thank you once again Bob for this lovely Barlow..
UTl3FQI.jpg

Nice old and sentimental knife Wazu :thumbsup: (and BTW - you had me slapping at my computer screen at that small fly in your signature LOL) .. and nice knives Charlie especially that unique stockman :thumbsup: ...

Here’s an old Wostenholm Hawkbill that no doubt goes by the old adage "There ain’t no stag like old stag” … :D

This Wostenholm at 4 1/2” has just very appealing thick slabs of aged stag (to me aged stag, ivory and in many cases jigged bone just has the special appeal and in many cases because they were well handled over the years they also sport a rich color – to me the old stag is so much more appealing than any stag offered today)… Interesting aspects of this knife include the integral liners and bolsters (suggesting pre-1860), the notable blade etch of I*XL which has a different font than most Wostenholm blades, and some nice rat tail bolsters as well… I even posted a photo of the integral liners and bolsters for those interested which also gives some idea as to the slab of stag used for the handle covers….. Blade still has bear trap snap and a solid half stop – and not abit of wobble… tight as the day it left the shop and a real handful of knife with some weight as well ;-)) …

mj1JecL.jpg

DQfX5m9.jpg

Lwi36rE.jpg

JSkWPFt.jpg

dXqZE5R.jpg

16Xtbou.jpg

fVaOehh.jpg

[As an aside – there were multiple threads where this would fit in addition to here including the “Prune Big, or Go Home..” thread and “Golden Age of Sheffield” thread… I guess I could add them to those threads as well for posterity… Just don’t know if posting the same knife in multiple threads is an acceptable practice on BF so looking for some advice – I always figured there may be a few who read the other threads and not this one who may be interested…]

Cheers!
Lee

Fantastic old IXL, and certainly very old (pre 1880). Great rare old stamp and quite unusual to see those integral bolsters and liners.
Here is a "Newer" (circa 1900) IXL Pruner with similar steel bolsters (non integral) which also has great old English stag.

View attachment 734974

Oh guys feeling the Love:(, I just sat down and thought about the GEC Rendezvous- a few years ago this was a Dream -soon inside 3 weeks, I am boarding that Plane!

Knife content...
Q87gpVU.jpg

UTl3FQI.jpg

Too many to take in at one time... :)
Beautiful group my friend.

Knife content...
Q87gpVU.jpg

UTl3FQI.jpg

Great display Duncan :thumbsup: ... Enjoy the GEC Rendezvous my friend - always sounds like a great time!

haha thanks guys for the kind comments :thumbsup:

Hey Herder- only OLD knives here matey- non of this 1900 new stuff!:D Oh mate- now thats a beautiful Pruner - nice show everyone!

Great collection, Duncan. Hope you find a few over here to add to it!

Not yet! You will know first!!
(More knife content - hey this is fun!!)
Another Camillus: 3-spring whittler style Stockman!
Anyone ever seen another like this??
View attachment 734550 View attachment 734551
Variscite from Utah, and Amber from Poland.

mj1JecL.jpg

DQfX5m9.jpg

Lwi36rE.jpg

JSkWPFt.jpg

dXqZE5R.jpg

16Xtbou.jpg

fVaOehh.jpg

Cheers!
Lee

These two are enough to stop ones heart !

mj1JecL.jpg

DQfX5m9.jpg

Lwi36rE.jpg

JSkWPFt.jpg

dXqZE5R.jpg

16Xtbou.jpg

fVaOehh.jpg

Cheers!
Lee
I can't imagine anyone would mind seeing pictures of that beautiful knife.

That Camillus cleaned up nice Charlie.:)
Wazu, I still use the Leatherman that we got as a safety award at the US Steel(I think) blast furnace rebuild.Cool knife.

Nice Wostenholm pruners Lee and N. Here's the stamp on this Wostenholm,I'm curious about timeframe. I suppose earlier than 1890, per lack of country of origin,although that may not be definite proof.It is somewhat worn and was sharpened as to remove the "hawkbill". The pile side stag being "gnarlier" and thus remaining more intact.

Lee does your pruner have IXL in the tang stamp, doesn't seem to? Seems we have three different earlier stamps by the same company. then we have the early "Celebrated" stamp I know of...

I concluded it is an early example,as the Schatt and Morgan,and the Holley I have are early knives and are smaller than all the other examples. I know that is little to go on, but it's my guess.:)
Wostenholm old stag862.jpg Wostenholm old stag863.jpg Wostenholm old stag864.jpg Wostenholm old stag865.jpg Wostenholm old stag867.jpg

Last edited:
Nice FJ Lyle :thumbsup: ... The stamp on my hawkbill does not have the I*XL on the tang - only the blade etch... I would guess that your knife is pre-1890 for sure and most likely a good deal earlier... they indeed had lots of stamps over their production time... I assume your liners and bolsters are not integral? I had read that integral liners and bolsters were pre-1860 in general based on Levine's Guide but I think Herder is alluding to the fact that some may have continued with them post-1860... I am sure there are a few exceptions to the premise that integral liners & bolsters ended in 1860... on the other hand were all folders from Sheffield pre-1860 only integrated liners & bolsters? Not sure....

Back