"Old Knives"

Great knives gents!
L F & C 'universal' picnic set, marked "Trooper" on the shield.
A click on the first pic should zoom on the shield.
GUyuEMI.jpg

nSnSb0T.jpg

nVR07T3.jpg

Here is a matching "Trooper" (Shield) Scout type camping knife from a 1926 catalog. I had heard that these two might have been part of a camping set, but I can't confirm it.
The same 1926 catalog shows the knife / fork set, but without the "Trooper" shields.

View attachment 739538

Missoula (arched, over) Mercantile (over) Co.
Elegant, well-treated 3" pen knife, with nice details and good snap!
What more could you ask for in an antique knife??
Both blades are stamped, suggesting an older knife. Jigging not unlike older Camillus or Rodgers bone.
View attachment 739395 View attachment 739396 View attachment 739397

Levine's Guide and Goins' encyclopedia of cutlery markings say Missoula Mercantile Co. existed between 1885 and 1972, in Missoula, Montana.
I am going to guess the knife was made between 1910 and 1930. Please post your opinion!

Beautiful old knife and I have not seen another with that stamp. I would agree that it is certainly pre-WWII, and quite possibly pre-WWI.

Very nice and interesting picnic set Mark! George beautiful Schrade and M&G. Charlie that is one gorgeous pen knife! Thanks for posting photos gentlemen.

Here are three HSB & Co. OVB folders. Top is a swell center or Coke bottle folding hunter (NYKC), left one is a dog leg tear drop Jack and on the right is a regular Jack. Lloyd
View attachment 739423

Nice group!!!

Here is a matching "Trooper" (Shield) Scout type camping knife from a 1926 catalog. I had heard that these two might have been part of a camping set, but I can't confirm it.
The same 1926 catalog shows the knife / fork set, but without the "Trooper" shields.

View attachment 739538

Great info, as always, my friend. I have been admiring Mark's wonderful set in the Sunday thread :thumbsup:

Great knives gents!
L F & C 'universal' picnic set, marked "Trooper" on the shield.
A click on the first pic should zoom on the shield.
GUyuEMI.jpg

nSnSb0T.jpg

nVR07T3.jpg
Ramrodmb
You should post close up photos of the Sheilds in Charlie's Thread called 3D SHIELDS
They would be s that highlight there!
Wonderful set.

View attachment 739538
Very interesting info and scan, herder. Thanks for that!:thumbsup:

Ramrodmb
You should post close up photos of the Sheilds in Charlie's Thread called 3D SHIELDS
They would be s that highlight there!
Wonderful set.
Great idea Campbellclanman! I will post there! Thanks for the compliments!

Very nice and interesting picnic set Mark! George beautiful Schrade and M&G. Charlie that is one gorgeous pen knife! Thanks for posting photos gentlemen.

Here are three HSB & Co. OVB folders. Top is a swell center or Coke bottle folding hunter (NYKC), left one is a dog leg tear drop Jack and on the right is a regular Jack. Lloyd
View attachment 739423
Thanks Luger1952! 3 beautiful OVBs you have there! I always enjoy your photos as well!

Missoula (arched, over) Mercantile (over) Co.
Elegant, well-treated 3" pen knife, with nice details and good snap!
What more could you ask for in an antique knife??
Both blades are stamped, suggesting an older knife. Jigging not unlike older Camillus or Rodgers bone.
View attachment 739395 View attachment 739396 View attachment 739397

Levine's Guide and Goins' encyclopedia of cutlery markings say Missoula Mercantile Co. existed between 1885 and 1972, in Missoula, Montana.
I am going to guess the knife was made between 1910 and 1930. Please post your opinion!
Nice pen knife! I grew up about 90 mi north of Missoula! My mind goes wild imagining what the Missoula Mercantile was like in its heyday!

Great info, as always, my friend. I have been admiring Mark's wonderful set in the Sunday thread :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack!

Thanks, Do you know if there were any other cutlery companies aside from Carrier and Robeson which were once located in Elmira?
Found in city business directories in Chemung County Archives:

1886 – Charles Kenning (116 Lake Street) sold hardware and cutlery

1900-1901 – Carrier Cutlery Co. (206 Steele Memorial Building) manufactured cutlery

1902-1917 – Cronk & Carrier Manufacturing Co. (made cultlery)

1902-1903 – located at 206 Steele Memorial Building

1904-1905 – located at 515-519 Robinson Building

1905-1917 – located at 150 Lake Street

Still looking for Robeson. According to Goins' they were only in Elmira from 1893 to 1896.

Last edited:
What a string of nice knives Mark, George, Charlie and Lloyd :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .....

Love that blade and bone on the M&G :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... any idea who made this knife for M&G??

Cheers
Lee
Agree with Lee.
That bone looks like Remington, but I've never heard they made knives for M&G,certainly doesn't mean they didn't though.

When I first saw it, I thought maybe Ulster, they did make some knives for M&G.

Last edited:
The M&G is more worn than the Ulster. The bone is very similar,but the resounding tell in a farmers jack is usually the frame, and the small bolster being the most prevalent difference.

View attachment 739806 View attachment 739807 View attachment 739808 View attachment 739809

Nice Lyle :thumbsup: ... no doubt one sees the Utica connection on that FJ despite a few small differences (shield and spey vs pen blade unless that spey evolved into a pen blade overtime... the swedges certainly match up too between the 2 knives... awesome knives!!

Found in city business directories in Chemung County Archives:

1886 – Charles Kenning (116 Lake Street) sold hardware and cutlery

1900-1901 – Carrier Cutlery Co. (206 Steele Memorial Building) manufactured cutlery

1902-1917 – Cronk & Carrier Manufacturing Co. (made cultlery)

1902-1903 – located at 206 Steele Memorial Building

1904-1905 – located at 515-519 Robinson Building

1905-1917 – located at 150 Lake Street

Still looking for Robeson. According to Goins' they were only in Elmira from 1893 to 1896.
Update! The historical museum archive does not have directories for 1892 to 1894!
1895 and 1896 do not list Robeson in Elmira, so we cannot back up what Goins lists as Robeson's years in Elmira.

Nice Lyle :thumbsup: ... no doubt one sees the Utica connection on that FJ despite a few small differences (shield and spey vs pen blade unless that spey evolved into a pen blade overtime... the swedges certainly match up too between the 2 knives... awesome knives!!

Frame indeed looks similar. Slight differences in pin placement, blade(s) shape, shield location, tangs/kicks has me reassessing.

any idea who made this knife for M&G??

Cheers
Lee

possibly Miller Bros.? I know they also made knives for M&G.
I have a worn out miller bros half trapper that uses the same style blade.. its also got the same "roundness" to it.. the shield that is on the M&G is the same as I've seen used on some Miller Bros, but I don't have one to show. the bone/jigging seems kinda similar to the miller bros in the bottom pic

GnAHBwS.jpg

MhFEkMO.jpg

edited to add: here is a miller brothers trapper that was on ebay recently

6BBgfIh.jpg

Last edited:
Goins' dates for Robeson in Elmira are wrong.

I think 1879 to 1894 is a more likely span.

Millard Filmore Robeson resided in Elmira. He was a traveling salesman.

According to a historical text re' the history of Perry, New York, printed in 1915, he began peddling imported knives, as a sideline, while traveling his sales routes. He kept his inventory at his home and when he incorporated his "cutlery" company in 1879, he was still located in Elmira.

Stationary from that time period exists, as does this knife box, graciously gifted to me by Mike Losicco.

After passage of the tariffs in 1890, he went in search of an American manufacturer and hired the Sherwood/Bingham cutlery in Camillus, New York.

According to the historical text below, from 1915, Robeson relocated to Rochester in 1894, after he had purchased an interest in The Rochester Stamping Works.

This is the home located at 606 Main Street, Elmira, New York, which is the address stated on the M.F. Robeson receipt above.

Is this the home where Robeson Cutlery began?

The home is listed as having been built in 1890. I wonder if that's accurate.

The invoices above are dated 1888 and 1889.

Last edited:
Rochester Stamping Works invoice showing Millard F. Robeson and his son George W. as officers.

And a photo of a portion of the work force, probably at an electroplating facility.

This photo is erroneously hand labeled as "Robison-Rochester Corp". Goins states that Robeson-Rochester Corporation was incorporated in 1922, merging the cutlery and the metal works businesses. Actually, I think it was a bit earlier than that.

Last edited:
A photo of one of Rochester Stamping works buildings.

Note the small sign on the wall of the porch.

All the men in that photo were sales representatives of both Rochester Stamping Works and The Robeson Cutlery Company.

Date not known.

Last edited:
The letterhead I posted has an address of 141 - 147 Jones Street.

The building in the photo was located a 12 Saratoga Avenue.

Wonderful paper and pictures, and history, Charlie!!
And great Elmira box!!
Is there a book that has collected all that is known about Robeson (and Terrier) cutlery??

Back