Photos Old Machete & Sarif

I was looking at DanR217's post about machetes and was inspired to dig these two old beauties out. They were purchased by my father in 1978 when we lived in Papua New Guinea. I'm assuming they were new when he bought them, so that would make them about 40 years old. He passed them on to me last year and I finally got around to taking some pics of them.

Both tools are a standard in that region. Almost everyone who works on the land in one way or another owns a machete, and the sarif is a common grass cutting tool used by gardeners and bush clearers, or anyone really. Very popular in the South Pacific from what I've read in the little information I can dig up about them.

The machete's blade is 565mm long and the sarif has a 745mm blade. Both are extremely useful, but the crude handles are deadly on my wussy hands :D They would be awesome with ResC handles!

Anyway on with the pics...

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo2_1280.jpg

The sarif is designed to be used almost like swinging a golf club back and forth when cutting grass, hence the swept up end of the blade. The blade is sharpened on both sides and around the end as well. Simple effective design.

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo5_1280.jpg

With some of their American pals...

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo9_1280.jpg

Thick and thin...

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo4_1280.jpg

The machete has this logo on it. I'm not postive about the brand, but I specualte it may be the merchant Burns Philp. They had (or may even still have) many retail outlets in Papua New Guinea. My dad may have bought it from their Boroko store in Port Moresby, I'm not sure.

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo7_1280.jpg

The sarif bears this mark. It appears to say MARTINDALE BIRMINGHAM MADE IN ENGLAND.

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo10_1280.jpg

And next to that mark it has from what I can make out, a graphic of a crocodile with the text REGIST..... can't make out the rest, if there is any.

tumblr_op1q9r30Si1siuc9oo8_1280.jpg

Anyway, thought I'd share those with you all. A cool bit of gear that's been in my family for the last 40 years. Mostly living in my dad's shed wrapped up in an old hessian sack for at least 30 of them :)

Totally awesome! Thank you for sharing Rob. Some res-c would be awesome on those. If the custom shop ever opens again there are a few that i wonder if they would put res-c on!

Very COOL old steel acquisitions. With all that's new in this world of disposables those vintage slashers will live on!!!

Wow. Hell of a difference between a tool meant for serious use in a real world situation and those others.. neat.

Very cool family keepsakes! Thanks for sharing Rob! I love old family steel :thumbsup:

That Sarif is interesting. I don't recall ever seeing one before and certainly wouldn't want to use that all day either. I am grateful for my Stihl :cool:

Very cool family keepsakes! Thanks for sharing Rob! I love old family steel :thumbsup:

That Sarif is interesting. I don't recall ever seeing one before and certainly wouldn't want to use that all day either. I am grateful for my Stihl :cool:

It's certainly damn good exercise using it. However, I do like my brush cutter as well. But should the world run out of power and fuel, I will have a neat-ish lawn :D

Those are way cool Rob!! :cool: I've got an old WWII machete around here somewhere which is somewhat similar to the smaller of the two of yours. Thanks for posting those.

Love vintage tools and blades!

Thanks for sharing the story and pix Rob!!!

Back