Old thread, new forum - A new place to post random ideas.

Thanks Scott, Mack that is a 9" blade on this one that smaller bowie in the previous photo is a 7 1/2" blade and a upswept hunter with the brow tine handle is a 6" blade.

That's exactly what I thought but you know how sometimes pictures can be deceiving.
Great size.

Holy Jeebus, Scott! That is beautiful.

I've added it to my list of lottery knives.

That is a beautiful Bowie Scott. Love that handle set up. You make some very comfy looking knives

That is a beautiful Bowie Scott. Love that handle set up. You make some very comfy looking knives

Thanks Tim, I'll be heading to the shop tonight to work on the other two for a bit.

Yes, everything is done in house except heat treating. Tim, you can take a look at my album in my profile and see what my current work looks like. I have a rattle snake skin that I'm thinking about doing inlay sheaths for both of the bowie knives. I may have to remove the scales of the snake skin before I use it. Have you ever used snake skin before?

Your leatherwork is an art in its own. I do pretty basic stuff and just happy if the knife fits and the stitch line looks even. I haven't got to the inlays yet. I've never dealt with snakes skin, I know it must be tough but always looked fragile to me.

I can't go to Scotts album anymore, It affects the time space continuum. I was clean shaven when I started looking at it and had a full beard by the time I was done:eek:

You should put a link to your album in your signature line Scott, there's some gorgeous stuff in there.

Just finished this up last night, have some fine adjustments to make and a final polish, and then on to the next one. The red isn't showing up very well as you can see by the photos. I really need to make or get a light box one of these days.

IMG_2440.jpg IMG_2441.jpg

Last edited:
I love those Brow tine handles, that's awesome. That blade is perfect:thumbup:

That's a real beauty Scott, I have really been wanting to do some leather stacked like this. You're tempting me to go off the list. Your color combo looks great.

Thanks John and thanks Rob, I really like the the hidden tang with leather washers and stag like this. Years ago, when I first saw this brow tine handle on an original Scagel design I thought it was kind stupid, until I made one and felt it in my hand for myself. Then I realized what a nice design it really is was, to get up inside a deer to cut the wind pipe give a couple extra inches of reach when you need it. FWIW I've noticed that brow tines between 2-3" work the best, they don't poke you or get in the way, less than 2" they poke you and longer than 3" they start getting the way. Also FWIW I used two different materials for the white spacers on the handles, the clip points have camel bone and the brow tine hunter has mammoth ivory. The camel bone was way more hassle and time consuming than it was worth, as far as keeping it clean, the pores fill right up with buffing compound, the ivory buffs out nicely. Sorry about the long winded post, but just thought you guys might like to know. That's not a gap it's just the way the light is hitting it.

Last edited:
That is another beauty. Wow. And there are no word counts on posts. I know I enjoy hearing your thoughts and processes, it plucks my brain a little and makes me look at things a little different.

Wow, just freaking Wow Scott.

Really beautiful! I like the flow of the whole thing! Love the multiple textures of the handle materials! :thumbup:

Got all three knives done now, time to start working on the sheaths, I ordered a light box on line so I don't have to stand outside and freeze my ass off, hopefully I'll be able to start taking some better photos soon.

IMG_0399.jpg

Last edited:
The three amigos! All three are fantastic! Still loving the bottom/brow tine Scagel!

Thanks Mitch, and thanks Rob, get to start the sheaths next week.

I'd dedicate a room in my house to one of those and put a velvet rope across the doorway so people could look in but not get too close.

They're beautiful, Scott. Great job. :thumbup:

Back